Reckless Love - Turborider

Stefan

I read a review which compared some of the songs on this release to the band Aqua (of Barbie Girl fame) and I thought that was a fairly accurate comparison.

On 3/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, Geoff said:

Haha, I was playing this with my kids on the weekend and they enjoyed it. 

I get why not everyone is madly enthused about the album, but I dig it. 

It's just good, harmless fun and it's catchy as all heck too. Honestly, yeah, I'd prefer bigger guitars and a bit more rock element to it, but it's cool. 

Buddy, that bloody funkoreggobassoriff is perfect while stirring the martinis. #only99intheshadeisreal

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PeterS said:

This year got quite the backlog already and finally got to this one. 

Love it, not a surprise as I like the whole synthwave thing. 

Interesting how much it's divided opinion!

Bar the average Ozzy cover, a fabulous album

• My Little Pony

This is a fucking awesome album! Holy shit! 

I was apprehensive about them switching to Synthwave, but they killed it. I still don't love the electric drums, and I hope this album is just a one-off, but if this is their new style then we just gained another great Synthwave band. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I was apprehensive about them switching to Synthwave, but they killed it. I still don't love the electric drums, and I hope this album is just a one-off, but if this is their new style then we just gained another great Synthwave band. 

got it lined up for a proper listen today 🙌 

8 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I agree, killer album

Behind Lebrock (and possibly the first Platforms album) this is the best synthwave album I've heard.

Perfect production and some killer solos just top it all off 

Future Lover Boy is frickin great 

lol, are we really calling it a proper synthwave album? 

I dig it plenty, but if I had to predict the future I reckon their next album will be very solid harder rock. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol, are we really calling it a proper synthwave album? 

I dig it plenty, but if I had to predict the future I reckon their next album will be very solid harder rock. 

whether it's a one off or not it's as much synthwave as anything else that's gets lumped into that genre on this site 

If I had to split hairs, I wouldn't call it 'pure synthwave' as I would some of the artists that have their entire discographies based in the genre, but rather 'adoptive synthwave', 'synthwave homage', or 'pseudo-synthwave' (although the latter can be interpreted negatively). It's no different than the last Beast in Black album in that the band has molded an album adapted to the synthwave musical style and incorporated retro '80s visuals and lyrical content. I would be surprised if it is more than a one-off stylistically.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

If I had to split hairs, I wouldn't call it 'pure synthwave' as I would some of the artists that have their entire discographies based in the genre, but rather 'adoptive synthwave', 'synthwave homage', or 'pseudo-synthwave' (although the latter can be interpreted negatively). It's no different than the last Beast in Black album in that the band has molded an album adapted to the synthwave musical style and incorporated retro '80s visuals and lyrical content. I would be surprised if it is more than a one-off stylistically.

adoptive synthwave 🤣🤣🤣

Whatever it is, it's bloody great 👍 

36 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

next album will be death metal 😉

18 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I think that while that maybe they felt the electric drums fit the sound more, it may have also been out of necessity as Hessu had just had a huge back surgery and it may have been less taxing on him during his recovery to play the electric kit than traditional drums. Not a drummer myself, so cannot say for sure, but it does make sense that he would need less power for the electric kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony
On 4/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, Captain Howdy said:

I think that while that maybe they felt the electric drums fit the sound more, it may have also been out of necessity as Hessu had just had a huge back surgery and it may have been less taxing on him during his recovery to play the electric kit than traditional drums. Not a drummer myself, so cannot say for sure, but it does make sense that he would need less power for the electric kit.

With that in mind, I believe he programmed drums for the whole album, and then used an electric kit for the music videos. Probably didn't actually record on the kit. 

• My Little Pony

I feel like "'89 Sparkle" is @Kourosofsteel4's kind of song. Throw on your favourite summer blazer, and pour some bubbles! ;}

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

With that in mind, I believe he programmed drums for the whole album, and then used an electric kit for the music videos. Probably didn't actually record on the kit. 

That would make a lot of sense, and I also seem to remember they played some dates with another drummer covering for him.

I think he had the surgery around October, but he had obviously been suffering for a while so makes sense that he would struggle to actually record proper drums for the album, and I doubt they would get a substitute for recorded work as that is vastly different to live work.

Still liking this album..different...but they'd already tried material like this with stuff like "Back To Paradise" from their debut 12 years ago?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...