Re-recorded better than Original version

auslander

You know how many bands redo their own songs decades later, and we tend to prefer the originals...

How about the times that re-recorded versions are better? Here's one I've always liked better:

the original version:

Any other examples?

Aerosmith Walk This Way is a good example.
Also Whitesnake - Here I Go Again

Most likely I will prefer the remake when I hear it before the original version, as I haven't been caught up in the love for the song when it was released, so am more open to hearing the update.

Twisted Sister rerecorded all of Stay Hungry, and whilst it sounds heavier and crisp (although not all that different from the original) I prefer the original.
That said, the only reason they redid it was for $$$. Presume the owned the publishing on the rerelease.

• Like 1

I cant even think of very many bands who rerecord songs, and when they do, it's usually b4 we ever even hear that song to begin with, as in the demo that gets rerecorded when there's some cash there to do so, I sincerely cannot think of any I prefer, I can most certainly tell you who the absolute worst in history is, Suicidal Tendencies, trying to rerecord their historic debut, Mike Muir seemed almost intent on destroying any respect and clout that album had he fucking massacred it so bad, when listening to it, stoned, one gets wrapped up in the feeling that it's being done in jest, like it's a joke on the listener, that's how bad it is. but I'm not thinking of any better recordings, I do agree with the White Lion answer, that definitely was an upgrade. and some of the rerecordings Venom did to their back catalogue turned out extremely better, but in Venom's case you gotta look at the source material, there wasn't to much more you could do to those songs to make them sound any worse quality wise, so naturally anything they did rerecording wise was a no brainer upgrade.

Going to disagree on that WS. I don't mind Classics but the original recordings are money and absolutely perfect.

The first thing that popped into my mind is the super cool Whitecross 1987 album and then in 2005 the band re-released it but rerecorded the entire album, calling it "Nineteen Eighty Seven" and it is righteous. Better meh, but very excellent sounding rerecording's of an already great record 4 sure.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's two examples that are certainly not better than the originals IMO and have always left me asking...why?

The track from "The Police" starts off great, but the chorus is such a departure from the iconic original that it makes it unlistenable for me. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

"Slide it in" by "Whitesnake" had UK and US versions that were different. It's definitely noticeable in the guitars.

I always had the UK version. I was aware of the US version but didn't manage to get it back in the day.

I have it now digitally of course. 

This is a killer track either way.

Edited by Darkstone

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

"Slide it in" by "Whitesnake" had UK and US versions that were different. It's definitely noticeable in the guitars.

I always had the UK version. I was aware of the US version but didn't manage to get it back in the day.

I have it now digitally of course. 

This is a killer track either way.

Whitesnake may be the best example of making better versions of their own earlier tracks.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Kristian said:

White Lion - "Broken Heart"

Excellent call. 

On 11/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, AlphaMale said:

You serious, cob? I defo prefer the original. 

Probably the most obvious one for me-

To be honest, don't actually think much of this version;

Whereas this is my favourite song on a close to flawless album;

Actually speaking of Motley Crue, I probably prefer the 1991 versions of 'Live Wire' and 'Piece of your action' to the originals, but it's barely worth mentioning as they're so close. 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, auslander said:

Whitesnake may be the best example of making better versions of their own earlier tracks.

'Fool For Your Lovin' ??  ;)

[quote]

You serious, cob? I defo prefer the original. 

To be honest, don't actually think much of this version [/quote]

Nah. I was being funny. I think 100% of people hate that '97 vertsion.

Edited by AlphaMale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
On 11/11/2021 at 1:10 AM, Darkstone said:

Here's two examples that are certainly not better than the originals IMO and have always left me asking...why?

Honestly I like the vibe and groove this one gives off, sort of reminds me of their acoustic performances

On 11/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, Glen said:

Sentimental BLVD because Harry was singing it ;)

Wasnt their a version of Staying Away that Harry sings on too? or maybe it was a version of Die Off Hard that Darren sings? fuck I cant keep all their different shit memorized

• My Little Pony
On 11/12/2021 at 2:07 AM, Geoff said:

To be honest, don't actually think much of this version;

Whereas this is my favourite song on a close to flawless album;

Yarp.