New Horizon (Jona Tee & Erik Gronwall)

tts42572

2 hours ago, Glen said:

the first song wasn't the clip I heard - this sound more promising to me

https://www.facebook.com/100764135031478/posts/426269785814243/

Agree...that sounds better.

Still potential here and Erik makes it listenable.   

This first single could've been pretty good with a different structured chorus so hopefully other tunes are a bit better.

Still not sure its going to be melodic/catchy enough for my tastes which is generally my problem with this  genre.

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, Glen said:

the first song wasn't the clip I heard - this sound more promising to me

https://www.facebook.com/100764135031478/posts/426269785814243/

Yeah, that sounds better. 

Just heard that 'We unite' song. Not into it, but hoping there's better to come as I like the vocals (of course) and it's a good ballsy sound. Just a terrible chorus. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:16 AM, Geoff said:

Just heard that 'We unite' song. Not into it, but hoping there's better to come as I like the vocals (of course) and it's a good ballsy sound. Just a terrible chorus. 

Like I said, very HammerFall-ish.

6 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Like I said, very HammerFall-ish.

yeah the chorus is terrible. Reminds me of the first Masterplan album as well.

Hopefully some of the album will have a few choruses with just Erik singing - if this was like that it would be pretty good. 

6 hours ago, Glen said:

yeah the chorus is terrible. Reminds me of the first Masterplan album as well.

Hopefully some of the album will have a few choruses with just Erik singing - if this was like that it would be pretty good. 

I agree.  If they had just done that chorus differently and let Erik soar with it while maybe mixing in some backing vocals, it would've been a solid tune. 

I do still think I'll find a few tunes on this release I'll end up digging as I'd think they're bound to have some more melodic type choruses.

• 4 weeks later...

First song posted was not for me.
His cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name is killer though.
1. That song is the kind of song that really shouldn't ever be covered as it's one of those untouchables, but he pulled it off.
2. It's a fucking hard song to sing for lots of reasons, so kudos to him.

Agree, much better than the first track.  This is more along the lines of what I was probably expecting.

Still kind of wish it was more melodic/catchy but I guess this style of music generally isn't all that catchy.   I mean, I like tunes that I hear and I find myself humming it to myself later because it's stuck in my head.  Don't see that happening with this. 

I thinking so far this will be a pass for me but we'll see what future songs bring.  

Edited by tts42572

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, Glen said:

agree, but still dodgy lyrics 

I wasn't really paying attention to the lyrics. Seemed like generic Metal. Stronger than steel!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Glen said:

this just sounds like Dynazty with a different singer. All well played but I have zero connection to the songs 

100% where I'm at. I just don't get it. It always amazes me how bands can make belting guitars and drums sound boring as fuck. I don't know how it's possible, but Dynazty have mastered it and these guys are following suit. I feel absolutely nothing at all listening to that. 

On 1/29/2022 at 3:13 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Whereas this legit gave me chills. No prizes for guessing what he he excels at. Very sad if his heart is with making pointless music instead of the stuff that sounds like his heart is actually in it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

100% where I'm at. I just don't get it. It always amazes me how bands can make belting guitars and drums sound boring as fuck. I don't know how it's possible, but Dynazty have mastered it and these guys are following suit. I feel absolutely nothing at all listening to that. 

Whereas this legit gave me chills. No prizes for guessing what he he excels at. Very sad if his heart is with making pointless music instead of the stuff that sounds like his heart is actually in it. 

I couldn't agree more with you guys.

It's well done for what it is I guess.  But I listened to that and have zero desire to listen to it again.  It's just boring.  it's just not catchy and nothing about it moves me or gets stuck in my head.

It probably doesn't help that I've been listening to Degreed today which is so catchy and well done and then I click on this.  It's nowhere in the same league as Degreed.

It's kind of ironic.  Gronwall was at the top of his game with HEAT when Degreed signed onto Gronwall's management company for some direction.  Now it seems Gronwall is the one who could use some direction.  I'm glad he's back making music and healthy.  But for me this is an utter waste of talent.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, listened to this album this morning.....And basically just confirmed my thoughts from the singles.  Frankly, the 3 singles are probably the best songs here which isn't saying much.

It's well documented how much I dug HEAT and Erik so initially had high hopes for this even though I'm not really a metal guy.  I can dig some metal though when it's still melodic and catchy.  For example, there's some tunes on the new Girish & The Chronicles album that I really dig.  They sort of blend and mash together metal and hard rock and still have some hooks, catchy choruses, excellent riffs, etc that make it a good listen.

Well, not finding any of those things here.  I guess this is a good example of how important songs themselves can be because not even Erik's great vocals can save this drivel.  Seriously, I think listening to this gave me a headache lol.

There's a couple tunes where I feel like there might've been some good songs in there....like Stardust for one.  But in that song it almost feels like the music and pace doesn't match the song and the music just kills the song that could've been good with a little slower pace and more melody.

I guess overall I was hoping this might just be a heavier sounding HEAT album filled with tunes like Inferno, Blind Leads The Blind, etc.  But it became apparent in the singles that wasn't going to be the case.

About all I'm taking from this is that it's nice to see Erik healthy again and that he still has a good working relationship with Jona.  The rest is a pass for me.