Best albums of 2021

So I spent the last couple of weeks trying to rank my top 10 and I basically can't do it. Everytime I play the next album I like it as much as the last one lol. I know it's a cop out but I give up so here is my top 10 and the my 5 honourable mentions :

Top 10 (no order)

Vega

Ronnie Atkins

Chez Kane

Levara

Tremonti

WET

Art of Illusion

Lebrock

Creye

NFO

Honourables :

Nestor

Robin Red

Midnite City

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

If I had to pick one song which had the biggest impact on me it would be this :

Ronnie Atkins : One Shot.

Brilliant song, brilliant message, one brave soul still giving us great music and genius songwriting. 👏 ❤ 

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen said:

So I spent the last couple of weeks trying to rank my top 10 and I basically can't do it. Everytime I play the next album I like it as much as the last one lol. I know it's a cop out but I give up so here is my top 10 and the my 5 honourable mentions :

Vega

Ronnie Atkins

Chez Kane

Levara

Tremonti

WET

Art of Illusion

Lebrock

Creye

NFO

Honourables :

Nestor

Robin Red

Midnite City

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

Brilliant song, brilliant message, one brave soul still giving us great music and genius songwriting. 👏 ❤ 

Nice list.

Mine is now (in no order, yet):

Chez Kane - Chez Kane (strong singer, strong songs)

Crazy Lixx - Street Lethal (pure fun, legacy continues)

The L.A. Maybe - Dirty Damn Tricks (best indie of the year)

Temple Balls - Pyromide (underrated band)

WET - Retransmission (consistent)

Eclipse - Wired (a grower)

Dangerous Curves - Summertime Highs (slipped under the radar but perfect for Summer nights)

Mammoth WVH - Mammoth WVH (great debut with various influences)

Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden's Gate (classic rock for modern times)

Trytan - Blood of Kings (prog AOR of highest order)

Best song of 2021: Tremonti - If Not for You

Best Mainstream/Modern Rock release: Chevelle - Niratias

Best alternative release: Weezer - Van Weezer

Best Metal release: Mastodon - Hushed and Grim

Best prog release: NMB - Innocence and Danger 

Best Electronic release: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

Biggest disappointment of the year: Creye - II 

Edited by auslander

15 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Are you fucked??

;}

I'm sorry, the album sucks. It's a weak tilt at mainstream with songs written for the talent show watching crowd. I stand by my disappointment!!!

10 hours ago, Glen said:

Top 10 (no order)

Vega

Ronnie Atkins

Chez Kane

Levara

Tremonti

WET

Art of Illusion

Lebrock

Creye

NFO

Honourables :

Nestor

Robin Red

Midnite City

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx 

Could almost be mine...give or take a couple of differences...but basically the same

• Like 1

12 hours ago, auslander said:

Best song of 2021: Tremonti - If Not for You

Absolutely love that song. That intro and when everything kicks in is just spine tingling. 

The whole album is amazing. If you put a gun to my head I'd probably choose this album as my no 1. Definitely my most played album of the year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auslander said:

I'm sorry, the album sucks. It's a weak tilt at mainstream with songs written for the talent show watching crowd. I stand by my disappointment!!!

I think the Creye is a great album. I get its a bit mainstream but the choruses are brilliantly well written & hooky, perfect production and the guitar solos are 🔥🔥🔥.....which keeps it on the right side of rock for me. 

The Creye album is awesome. I agree it's been a really good year in music. My two favourites are the clear two favourites (and really struggling to pick between the two) but after that it's a banquet of choices. Not going to put as much thought into it as I usually do this year and should have a look at posting something soon... 

• 2 weeks later...

ten for me then...apart from top two the rest can change places back and forth,these are my most listened to of the year...

1. LeBrock - Fuse (perfection for me)

2. Midnite City - Itch You Can't Scratch (the best of our type genre for me)

3. Nestor - Kids In A Ghost Town (just really enjoyed this...not as good as the hype but still quite enjoyable)

4. Chez Kane - s/t (just a really good fun melodic rock album)

5. Wicked Smile - Wait For The Night ( a suprise for me...just so good..love the variety)

6. Levara - s/t ( classy stuff...thats that...pity they won't have another...least with this lineup)

7. Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic II (pure class...just love it...different to anything else of my list)

8. Ronnie Atkins - One Shot (great sounding melodic rock album...legend...and what a voice)

9. Eclipse - Wired (my fav eclipse for a while)

10. Crazy Lixx - Street Lethal (my least fav crazy lixx in a while)

also I have the honourable mentions section...

Spektra - Overload

W.E.T - Retransmission (an excellent release..just slipped away for me over recent months)

Roxville - Fallen From Grace (for an indie this sounds great...cool 80's style)

Vega - Anarchy & Unity (never let me down...just never made the list...only room for 10)

Night Ranger - A.T.B.P.O (my fav by these guys since Mojo and a suprise to boot,wasn't even gonna buy this one)

Robin Red -s/t (just love the smooth/classiness of this one,different from the day job,which is what I liked)

but there are so many albums in 2021 that I have enjoyed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lettard said:

ten for me then...apart from top two the rest can change places back and forth,these are my most listened to of the year...

1. LeBrock - Fuse (perfection for me)

2. Midnite City - Itch You Can't Scratch (the best of our type genre for me)

3. Nestor - Kids In A Ghost Town (just really enjoyed this...not as good as the hype but still quite enjoyable)

4. Chez Kane - s/t (just a really good fun melodic rock album)

5. Wicked Smile - Wait For The Night ( a suprise for me...just so good..love the variety)

6. Levara - s/t ( classy stuff...thats that...pity they won't have another...least with this lineup)

7. Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic II (pure class...just love it...different to anything else of my list)

8. Ronnie Atkins - One Shot (great sounding melodic rock album...legend...and what a voice)

9. Eclipse - Wired (my fav eclipse for a while)

10. Crazy Lixx - Street Lethal (my least fav crazy lixx in a while)

also I have the honourable mentions section...

Spektra - Overload

W.E.T - Retransmission (an excellent release..just slipped away for me over recent months)

Roxville - Fallen From Grace (for an indie this sounds great...cool 80's style)

Vega - Anarchy & Unity (never let me down...just never made the list...only room for 10)

Night Ranger - A.T.B.P.O (my fav by these guys since Mojo and a suprise to boot,wasn't even gonna buy this one)

Robin Red -s/t (just love the smooth/classiness of this one,different from the day job,which is what I liked)

but there are so many albums in 2021 that I have enjoyed

Great list, very similar to my thoughts. 

• Like 1

Hard to come up with list 1 to 10.

Top 2 albums:

Thunder - I am usually a chorus guy. Choruses on this album are nothin special but almost ever song has some powerful, interesitng riff that is base of the song, good perfomrances and singign. And months after release I like it even more.

Art if Illusion - I never liked much singer Lars  in his other projects but songwriting and some over the top (queen style ) songs on this just gets me and it is great after several plays

Tier 2:

W.E.T Retransmission - I thought when this came out this in album of the year. I still like it alot, just a little bit less.

Eclipse -Wired   As all Eclipse music this is high energy music good for workout. Maybe the formula is a bit repetiteive, but still some great choruses. Best part for me are quieter instrumental parts, like Bite the Bullet middle part, they are great complenmet to their usual powerful riffs and choruses.

Inglorious - We will ride. Not played this one much, respin put it on top 10 list. Despite some social media drama Nathan  is marvelous singer an on this album he finally get some fine hard rock songs to sing.

Tier 3

Cruzh - Tropical Thunder : I instantly liked song We go together but didnt liked or listened the rest of album much. Before making the list I relistened and liked the rest of these 80s style cheesy songs enough to put it here

Save the world - Two

Quite unknown band for me, but I liked the songs, classic rock, Boston etc style.

Nestor - Kids in a ghost town       

Very popular everywhere. I didnt like much singles, It was vocals in Tomorrow that showed how great the singer is and the slower and mid tempo songs are the best on this one for me.

Vega - Anarchy and unity

Propably most played albom of the year for me. I liked it a lot but after some months I like it much less.

Wig Wam - We will never die 

There are many other albums that could take this place, but this is more probably most hard rock style of top 10.

Albums outside of top10:

Jeff Scott Soto Duets Collection

Heartland

Crowne

Joseph Williams

JAson Bieler

Robim McAuley

Robin Red

Night Ranger

Resist & Bite

Robbie Leblanc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lecko said:

Hard to come up with list 1 to 10.

Top 2 albums:

Thunder - I am usually a chorus guy. Choruses on this album are nothin special but almost ever song has some powerful, interesitng riff that is base of the song, good perfomrances and singign. And months after release I like it even more.

Art if Illusion - I never liked much singer Lars  in his other projects but songwriting and some over the top (queen style ) songs on this just gets me and it is great after several plays

Tier 2:

W.E.T Retransmission - I thought when this came out this in album of the year. I still like it alot, just a little bit less.

Eclipse -Wired   As all Eclipse music this is high energy music good for workout. Maybe the formula is a bit repetiteive, but still some great choruses. Best part for me are quieter instrumental parts, like Bite the Bullet middle part, they are great complenmet to their usual powerful riffs and choruses.

Inglorious - We will ride. Not played this one much, respin put it on top 10 list. Despite some social media drama Nathan  is marvelous singer an on this album he finally get some fine hard rock songs to sing.

Tier 3

Cruzh - Tropical Thunder : I instantly liked song We go together but didnt liked or listened the rest of album much. Before making the list I relistened and liked the rest of these 80s style cheesy songs enough to put it here

Save the world - Two

Quite unknown band for me, but I liked the songs, classic rock, Boston etc style.

Nestor - Kids in a ghost town       

Very popular everywhere. I didnt like much singles, It was vocals in Tomorrow that showed how great the singer is and the slower and mid tempo songs are the best on this one for me.

Vega - Anarchy and unity

Propably most played albom of the year for me. I liked it a lot but after some months I like it much less.

Wig Wam - We will never die 

There are many other albums that could take this place, but this is more probably most hard rock style of top 10.

Albums outside of top10:

Jeff Scott Soto Duets Collection

Heartland

Crowne

Joseph Williams

JAson Bieler

Robim McAuley

Robin Red

Night Ranger

Resist & Bite

Robbie Leblanc

I loved the Art of Illusion album as well. 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Down to 8 contenders for my top 5 list... the struggle is real.

I think I’m down to 10 vying for the top 5

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'd have to say that these were top releases for me:

Sweet Oblivion-Relentless

Fiction Syxx-Ghost of My Fathers Past

Far Cry-Balance

Iron Maiden-Senjutsu

Wicked Smile-Wait For the Night

LA Guns-Checkered Past

Plush-S/T

Pretty Reckless-Death By Rock and Roll

Tony Mitchell-Hot Endless Summer Nights

Rough Cutt III or Blue Dahlia-Whichever Sortino release counts for 2021 .Prefer Rough Cutt but Blue Dahlia is also very good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Glen said:

Top 10 (no order)

Vega

Ronnie Atkins

Chez Kane

Levara

Tremonti

WET

Art of Illusion

Lebrock

Creye

NFO

Honourables :

Nestor

Robin Red

Midnite City

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

So I finally decided my order :

1. Tremonti

2. Levara

3. Lebrock

4. Vega

5. WET

6. Ronnie Atkins 

7. Creye

8. NFO

9. Art of Illusion 

10. Chez Kane

11. Nestor