Yes - The Quest

Tabe

New 2-CD album from Yes, due out October 1st.  

YES Announce New Studio Album: THE QUEST - Yesworld

Track Listing, Disc 1:

1) The Ice Bridge 7.01
2) Dare To Know 6.00
3) Minus The Man 5.35
4) Leave Well Alone 8.06
5) The Western Edge 4.26
6) Future Memories 5.08
7) Music To My Ears 4.41
8) A Living Island 6.52

Track Listing, Disc 2:

1) Sister Sleeping Soul 4.51
2) Mystery Tour 3.33
3) Damaged World 5.20

• 1 month later...

I hate saying this, as I love most of Yes' discography, but this is a complete snorefest of an album...The added tracks on disc 2 are terrible it has to be said. Time to get Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman back in the fold  and have one last crack at it , as this is just poor with the current line up.

• My Little Pony
47 minutes ago, Jez said:

I hate saying this, as I love most of Yes' discography, but this is a complete snorefest of an album...The added tracks on disc 2 are terrible it has to be said. Time to get Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman back in the fold  and have one last crack at it , as this is just poor with the current line up.

Good to know I wasn't the only one to fall asleep to this. ;}

3 hours ago, Jez said:

I've been gradually getting their newer albums but the band just doesn't seem right without Anderson. Same with most vocalist changes in any band I guess. Might give this one a miss.

• 2 months later...

I was dumb enough to get the glow in the dark vinyl/CD deluxe  edition. 

It starts ok - but goes downhill FAST. After the first hearing of the pre released  Ice Bridge I was expecting more, it sounded interesting - but crikey the lyrics throughout the album  are comical, songs are dull as dishwater with ab-so-lute-ly no imagination or inspirational qualities. I hate to say it (well actually I don't), Jon Davison is a f*ckin terrible singer - he has no presence and can't hold a note, how long has he been with Yes now??? Yet he still sounds like a 6th form girl (who thinks she can sing) performing in the school Christmas play. Add to that Billy Sherwood - talk about a one dimensional talent - everything - EVERYTHING he does sounds the same - World Trade was great - everything else (Circa, solo, The Key , lodgic) is just miniscule degrees of separation. He is a good but god damn boring bass player and song writer. Then you have Geoff Downes - less said the better, the musical equivalent of  painting  the Sistine Chapel  with potato stamps...bland one dimensional, clumsy, an average keyboard player punching above his weight. That brings us to  Steve Howe - love the guy, on this album he sounds  really, really nice in parts - but it's not the SH of old, the dexterity has gone. Alan White - I have no truck with the guy - plays decent enough probably holds it together as any good drummer should.  

I love Yes - I don't think a return of Jon Anderson or Ricky boy Wakeman would help - but I would like to see a last go for broke, kick it out while they still have a little time and end with a shout rather than a whimper. Because as much as Steve Howe and Chris Squire (R.I.P.)  kept the Yes flag flying it is Anderson who had/has that vision, that huge cinematic vision,  imagination and drive that is the true flame . He might be a space cadet at times but wouldn't you prefer some crazy meaningful/meaningless lyrics and crazy out there vision rather than the pedestrian plod of the last ten years.

Edited by Nick C

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I was dumb enough to get the glow in the dark vinyl/CD deluxe  edition. 

It starts ok - but goes downhill FAST. After the first hearing of the pre released  Ice Bridge I was expecting more, it sounded interesting - but crikey the lyrics throughout the album  are comical, songs are dull as dishwater with ab-so-lute-ly no imagination or inspirational qualities. I hate to say it (well actually I don't), Jon Davison is a f*ckin terrible singer - he has no presence and can't hold a note, how long has he been with Yes now??? Yet he still sounds like a 6th form girl (who thinks she can sing) performing in the school Christmas play. Add to that Billy Sherwood - talk about a one dimensional talent - everything - EVERYTHING he does sounds the same - World Trade was great - everything else (Circa, solo, The Key , lodgic) is just miniscule degrees of separation. He is a good but god damn boring bass player and song writer. Then you have Geoff Downes - less said the better, the musical equivalent of  painting  the Sistine Chapel  with potato stamps...bland one dimensional, clumsy, an average keyboard player punching above his weight. That brings us to  Steve Howe - love the guy, on this album he sounds  really, really nice in parts - but it's not the SH of old, the dexterity has gone. Alan White - I have no truck with the guy - plays decent enough probably holds it together as any good drummer should.  

I love Yes - I don't think a return of Jon Anderson or Ricky boy Wakeman would help - but I would like to see a last go for broke, kick it out while they still have a little time and end with a shout rather than a whimper. Because as much as Steve Howe and Chris Squire (R.I.P.)  kept the Yes flag flying it is Anderson who had/has that vision, that huge cinematic vision,  imagination and drive that is the true flame . He might be a space cadet at times but wouldn't you prefer some crazy meaningful/meaningless lyrics and crazy out there vision rather than the pedestrian plod of the last ten years.

Yeah, but it glows in the dark!

• Haha 1

• My Little Pony
12 hours ago, Nick C said:

Jon Davison is a f*ckin terrible singer - he has no presence

Which is especially noticeable live. Probably the most boring show I've seen. It was sad. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This literally didn't get close to my 'honourable mentions' list this year and sunk like the Titanic. One , if not THE major disapointment this year.  'The Ice Bridge' is a cool song, the rest isn't