Unpopular Heavy Harmonies Opinions

auslander

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, auslander said:

There are a lot of fans with no sense of history on these sites who actually rubbish Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, The Stones, AC/DC, The Beatles, you name it! But, I have to admit, personally I've never loved Elvis.

Don't be cruel.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, auslander said:

There are a lot of fans with no sense of history on these sites who actually rubbish Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, The Stones, AC/DC, The Beatles, you name it! But, I have to admit, personally I've never loved Elvis.

Personally i can't stand Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, The Stones or Elvis.

7 hours ago, auslander said:

I have a great sense of history but I will only like goods songs.

imo Led Zep had about 5 good songs, and Van Halen have about 10- 15 iconic great songs but also a whole bunch of average shit imho.

7 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

The vast majority of bands we listen to today on this site have been influenced by Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, AC/DC etc... so shitting on them doesn't make much sense to me but I get that they are not popular with people born after 1990...;)

influencing doesn't equate directly to great songs imo. Led Zep were largely unlistenable outside of a few songs, same for Aerosmith (can't stand Tyler or his whiny vocals), Dio Sabbath is awesome, Ozzy not so much (songs not there imo), AC/DC had 2 amazing albums , a couple of good albums, the rest is pretty average 

5 hours ago, Glen said:

influencing doesn't equate directly to great songs imo. Led Zep were largely unlistenable outside of a few songs, same for Aerosmith (can't stand Tyler or his whiny vocals), Dio Sabbath is awesome, Ozzy not so much (songs not there imo), AC/DC had 2 amazing albums , a couple of good albums, the rest is pretty average 

I'll add 4 more.... Rush, Deep Purple, BTO and April Wine rounding out the top 8 bands that I grew up listening to and they all had incredible songs/releases but I get that those who grew up after the 70s listening to different bands would disagree.....that does not change the fact that those bands had huge influence on our music today and they should be recognized for that....

6 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I'll add 4 more.... Rush, Deep Purple, BTO and April Wine rounding out the top 8 bands that I grew up listening to and they all had incredible songs/releases but I get that those who grew up after the 70s listening to different bands would disagree.....that does not change the fact that those bands had huge influence on our music today and they should be recognized for that....

I do recognise it, but doesn't mean I need to like them. Most Rush songs I cannot stand. 

My unpopular opinion is that you're apparently not allowed to just like music from a certain era. It is an absolute must that you must like all kinds of shit before the music you actually like because someone was born before the guys you like and picked up a guitar before them. The argument fucks me off every time I hear it, lol. Absolutely ridiculous use of a human mind and "logic." 

As for saying Eddie Veddar is horrible, I thought we were looking for unpopular opinions? ;) Couldn't imagine a soul here would disagree with that. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Geoff said:

My unpopular opinion is that you're apparently not allowed to just like music from a certain era. It is an absolute must that you must like all kinds of shit before the music you actually like because someone was born before the guys you like and picked up a guitar before them. The argument fucks me off every time I hear it, lol. Absolutely ridiculous use of a human mind and "logic." 

As for saying Eddie Veddar is horrible, I thought we were looking for unpopular opinions? ;) Couldn't imagine a soul here would disagree with that. 

I've seen a few here mention that they  like Vedder / Pearl Jam...but hey that's their issue not mine.

I get what you're saying on the other thing.From my view I look at it as a 'respect' thing vs 'like'.If i'm being honest I listen to 'Kingdom Come' a heckuva lot more often then Led Zep'.....Deep Purple,Led Zep.Queen,Rush,Stones etc,,I'm not a big fan but for being pioneers,they do get my hat tip'  - if that makes any sense.

4 hours ago, Metal T said:

I've seen a few here mention that they  like Vedder / Pearl Jam...but hey that's their issue not mine.

I get what you're saying on the other thing.From my view I look at it as a 'respect' thing vs 'like'.If i'm being honest I listen to 'Kingdom Come' a heckuva lot more often then Led Zep'.....Deep Purple,Led Zep.Queen,Rush,Stones etc,,I'm not a big fan but for being pioneers,they do get my hat tip'  - if that makes any sense.

don't lump Queen in with those duds. They have more great songs than the rest put together imo.

And probably top 5 live band I've seen, and I've seen most....

On 5/29/2022 at 6:15 AM, Geoff said:

Agreed on both points.  I appreciate some bands have more of a historical significance than others; but why the fuck would I listen to something I don't like just because they are considered to be iconic.  

Is there more than 3 people on here who like Eddie Veddar?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:31 PM, auslander said:

A quick google search shows Jimmy Page was influenced by Elvis, so by your own logic you have to love Elvis as well. Sorry it's the rules.

Edited by tobi is an animal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Dead Planet said:

I agree that what a person grew up listening to has a lot to do with it.   Are you a big fan of Chuck Berry or Elvis?

On 5/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, Metal T said:

'.....Deep Purple,Led Zep.Queen,Rush,Stones etc,,I'm not a big fan but for being pioneers,they do get my hat tip'  - if that makes any sense.

If I had to pick one of those bands to actually listen to I'd go with the Stones; as I didn't mind their run of albums from Dirty Work through to Bridges To Babylon. Jagger's Wandering Spirit was good too.  But I have no use for any of the others at all, as far as finding their music enjoyable to listen to on a personal level.

46 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:

I agree that what a person grew up listening to has a lot to do with it.   Are you a big fan of Chuck Berry or Elvis?

Nope....they were from well before my time but I recognize their influence on the bands that came after and while I do not care for their music I will not crap on them for being old and out of touch musically when I started listening to rock....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Nope....they were from well before my time but I recognize their influence on the bands that came after and while I do not care for their music I will not crap on them for being old and out of touch musically when I started listening to rock....

Yea I think there is a historical significance with certain artists/bands that can't be denied; but whether or not said artists/bands music is enjoyable to listen to is all subjective. 

5 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

A quick google search shows Jimmy Page was influenced by Elvis, so by your own logic you have to love Elvis as well. Sorry it's the rules.

No, you are right. Any music made before I was born is crap. Music I like has to fit in a very narrow window. That's why I must sing the praises of Electric Callboy and rubbish Led Zeppelin.

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 5/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Glen said:

Foreigner have several classic AOR albums all better than Moonlight

I know this is a massive call, as I love Foriegner, but I reckon the first two Lou Gramm solo albums and the Shadow King album are on par with the Foriegner discography. 

I said "on par", not "better than".

Mr. Moonlight is awesome BTW.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:31 PM, auslander said:

13 hours ago, auslander said:

No, you are right. Any music made before I was born is crap. Music I like has to fit in a very narrow window. That's why I must sing the praises of Electric Callboy and rubbish Led Zeppelin.

You are the one who called out people for not liking something because of a sense of history, which was completely fucked. Then turned around and did the very thing you were complaining about by saying you never loved Elvis.  What is an Electric Callboy?

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I know this is a massive call, as I love Foriegner, but I reckon the first two Lou Gramm solo albums and the Shadow King album are on par with the Foriegner discography. 

mr moonlight is pretty good but it's a very middle of the road , mostly one paced and doesn't really have that classic Foreigner sound imo

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Count me in as a big fan of Foreigner and that Shadow King release is as good as any Foreigner release and the first 2 Lou Gramm releases are must have AOR and close to the Foreigner stuff but Moonlight and Can't Slow Down are sad echoes of a great band IMO....

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. The first two Giant albums I believe are highly regarded among many, but neither does anything for me at all.

You're killing me, Smalls. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1