Unpopular Heavy Harmonies Opinions

auslander

30 minutes ago, Glen said:

Right up ahead, 4 leaf, great escape, disappear,  livin to die, short flight, can't take it back....

all amazing imo 

To each their own, but they're not exactly 'No man's land,' 'Blind Revolution Mad,' 'Junkyard Dog' or 'Spell I'm Under.' :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Geoff said:

To each their own, but they're not exactly 'No man's land,' 'Blind Revolution Mad,' 'Junkyard Dog' or 'Spell I'm Under.' :)

Karma is my 2nd fav 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Karma is my 2nd fav 🤣🤣🤣

To each their own, but it's no 'Pull.' 

To be fair, though, at least that's a good album. Something that it does not have in common with 'IV.' ;)

7 hours ago, Glen said:

here are my unpopular opinions

1. Operation Mindcrime is massively overrated and has 3 goods songs

2. Rush are shit

3. Tony Harnells voice is annoying

4. Dio black Sabbath is the best

5. Winger IV is their best album

6. Threshold > Dream Theater

1. Not sure I could find 3 songs.

2. Heretic! I have a stake all ready for you...

3. No more annoying than 50% of vocalists.

4. Dio was great but Ozzy was better.

5. WTF...not sure what drugs you are on but it is time to try something new...

6. Agree...

1.Mr. Moonlight is the best Foreigner album by a mile. I also prefer Long hard look by Lou Gramm over most of Foreigner discography.

2.Twisted sisters best album is Love is for suckers. Great melodic rock all the way through.

3.Best era of Chicago was with Bill Champlin and Jason Scheff,I prefer their voices over Ceteras,especially Champlin. And 19 is their best album.

4.Scorpions are overrated,the only album I really like by them is Blackout,in my opinion their greatest effort.

5.Queen never did it for me. I guess it's those harmonies,that are way too overdone and wimpy at moments,there are some great melodies but harmonies ruin it for me.

6.Mark Slaughter is one of the most irritating singers out there,he sometimes ruin the songs with those "ya ya ya" whiny type of noises. Still Stick it to ya and Fear no evil are great albums.

7.Led Zeppelin may be influential but I never saw the appeal. Much prefer Deep Purple as a band,better melodies more soul.

8.Van Halens best albums are debuts,both Roth one and Hagar one. Most consistent as well. Others are hit and miss.

9.Treat became way better with Coup de grace,and Ghost of Graceland. I prefer their recent output over 80s albums,which mostly sound dated now.

10.Poisons best album is Flesh and blood. Songs,production and lyrics are all superb,and they never repeated this.

8 hours ago, Glen said:

here are my unpopular opinions

1. Operation Mindcrime is massively overrated and has 3 goods songs

2. Rush are shit

3. Tony Harnells voice is annoying

4. Dio black Sabbath is the best

5. Winger IV is their best album

6. Threshold > Dream Theater

1. Does Queensryche even have 3 good songs?

2. I concur.

3. not sure about annoying but I don't really care for TNT or any other thing he's been a part of. 

4. I concur in the sense that I can't stand Ozzy's vocals but I don't really like any Black Sabbath.

5. Pull has some stronger individual songs but as an overall album IV might be their best.

6. I concur, though Threshold focuses more on the melody side of things, so I've never really considered them a prog band in the true sense of the word.

A few of my unpopular opinions

1. Journey have zero good songs; and Steve Perry vocally does nothing for me, bordering on annoying.

2. AC/DC's best song is the title track from The Razors Edge.

3. Skid Row's Subhuman Race is a great album. Wish we coulda got a couple more albums with this lineup.

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. Does Queensryche even have 3 good songs?

2. I concur.

3. not sure about annoying but I don't really care for TNT or any other thing he's been a part of. 

4. I concur in the sense that I can't stand Ozzy's vocals but I don't really like any Black Sabbath.

5. Pull has some stronger individual songs but as an overall album IV might be their best.

6. I concur, though Threshold focuses more on the melody side of things, so I've never really considered them a prog band in the true sense of the word.

1 hour ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. Journey have zero good songs; and Steve Perry vocally does nothing for me, bordering on annoying.

3. Skid Row's Subhuman Race is a great album. Wish we coulda got a couple more albums with this lineup.

Just when I think I've found someone who shares my taste in music they go and post this nonsense.

;}

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. Agree...didn't think anyone else here agreed with my view of Journey.

2. Nope.

3. Agreed.

6 hours ago, DorrianWolf said:

1.Mr. Moonlight is the best Foreigner album by a mile. I also prefer Long hard look by Lou Gramm over most of Foreigner discography.

2.Twisted sisters best album is Love is for suckers. Great melodic rock all the way through.

3.Best era of Chicago was with Bill Champlin and Jason Scheff,I prefer their voices over Ceteras,especially Champlin. And 19 is their best album.

4.Scorpions are overrated,the only album I really like by them is Blackout,in my opinion their greatest effort.

5.Queen never did it for me. I guess it's those harmonies,that are way too overdone and wimpy at moments,there are some great melodies but harmonies ruin it for me.

6.Mark Slaughter is one of the most irritating singers out there,he sometimes ruin the songs with those "ya ya ya" whiny type of noises. Still Stick it to ya and Fear no evil are great albums.

7.Led Zeppelin may be influential but I never saw the appeal. Much prefer Deep Purple as a band,better melodies more soul.

8.Van Halens best albums are debuts,both Roth one and Hagar one. Most consistent as well. Others are hit and miss.

9.Treat became way better with Coup de grace,and Ghost of Graceland. I prefer their recent output over 80s albums,which mostly sound dated now.

10.Poisons best album is Flesh and blood. Songs,production and lyrics are all superb,and they never repeated this.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed. Well, not that it's great all the way through, but it's "their" best album by a long way.

4. Agreed they're over-rated, but don't like a think about 'Blackout' at all. 'Face the heat' would be my favourite album, and it's solid but generally mediocre at best. 

5. Agreed. No interest in the band whatsoever.

6. Yeah, bad singer for sure, but Slaughter were great.

7. Agree that Led Zep never did a thing for me, but Deep Purple no better is I guess my controversial opinion. Both did what they did, but not for me at all.

8. Van Halen's best albums are none of them because there aren't any. They're all terrible with a good song sprinkled here and there across the whole discography.

9. 'Organized Crime,' by a good margin is Treat's best album, imo. 'Dreamhunter' is easily on par with recent output too, but I agree the first two are probably behind most of all their recent output. 

10. I actually agree, even though 'LWTCDI' is probably my personal favourite album from them. But yes, 'Flesh and Blood' is obviously a much better album. 

5 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. I have probably been Journey's biggest and harshest critic on this forum, but to say they have zero good songs, imo, is a bit ridiculous. Agree on Steve Perry, though.

2. I wasn't aware they had a good song. News to me. A bunch of okay background noise songs but that's about it. 

3. Don't think you'd get much disagreement there at all. Not sure if I'd call it "great" but it's good for sure with some excellence on it.  

Some pretty silly views getting thrown about imo. Cant be bothered to reply to all, but a few warrant a short response :

- Foreigner have several classic AOR albums all better than Moonlight

- Queen were a great band - ill admit that their albums were patchy but those 15 or so big hits are some of the most classic music ever recorded imo, and they were amazing live with Freddie

- Journey recorded 6 of the greatest AOR albums ever recorded. Live with it. Anything other opinion is very lonely indeed and deserves a special place in this thread ;)

• Like 1

Also :

I'd loosely agree with the comments iro Van Halen & AC/DC - not a huge fan of either band 

However I would add that both bands have around 10 songs each that I would term bona fide classics that I absolutely 💯 love

Would throw Saxon in this category too 

17 hours ago, Geoff said:

1. I have probably been Journey's biggest and harshest critic on this forum, but to say they have zero good songs, imo, is a bit ridiculous. Agree on Steve Perry, though.

2. I wasn't aware they had a good song. News to me. A bunch of okay background noise songs but that's about it. 

3. Don't think you'd get much disagreement there at all. Not sure if I'd call it "great" but it's good for sure with some excellence on it.  

1. Which Journey songs do you think are good?

2. Burnin" Alive is a great song as well, my second fav after The Razors Edge.

3. I feel like the majority only have love for the first two, and you even said yourself you don't think it's great.

10 hours ago, Glen said:

Also :

I'd loosely agree with the comments iro Van Halen & AC/DC - not a huge fan of either band 

However I would add that both bands have around 10 songs each that I would term bona fide classics that I absolutely 💯 love

Man On A Mission or The Razors Edge included in that set of 10?

14 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. Which Journey songs do you think are good?

'Remember Me' is an awesome tune.

'If he should break your heart' is great too. 

You caught me at the tail end of my train ride before a weekend away so I don't have the info near me, and I'm not Journey fan so don't have other info close to hand, but that recent album they did, I thought, was really quite good. Can't remember it's name - 'Revelation' or something? I can look at exact songs next week, but that had good gear on it. 

'Send her my love' is a bit awesome too. 

I agree they're not great, but I can answer question properly next week with some legit good songs they have, even from a non-fan. 

• Haha 1

always funny to read non journey fans talking about the bands songs / albums

difficult to understand how fans of AOR/melodic rock don't love those Perry years - basically Escape & Frontiers is some of the best melodic rock stuff ever recorded.

Evolution / infinity / departure also amazing 

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors
14 hours ago, Glen said:

always funny to read non journey fans talking about the bands songs / albums

LOFL,you do the same thing with VH....:wacko:

Anyway it always cracks me up reading comments on the main site where people talk up bands like 'Danger Danger and 'Wildside'  like they're freaking Led Zeppelin or something......what a laugh!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Metal T said:

Eddie Vedder...what a d'bag..HORRIBLE SINGER! If I hear this imbecile whine about gun control again I may have to knock him the f' right out.

Agree 100%. His voice is cringe-worthy.

3 hours ago, Metal T said:

LOFL,you do the same thing with VH....:wacko:

Anyway it always cracks me up reading comments on the main site where people talk up bands like 'Danger Danger and 'Wildside'  like they're freaking Led Zeppelin or something......what a laugh!

There are a lot of fans with no sense of history on these sites who actually rubbish Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, The Stones, AC/DC, The Beatles, you name it! But, I have to admit, personally I've never loved Elvis.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, auslander said:

There are a lot of fans with no sense of history on these sites who actually rubbish Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, The Stones, AC/DC, The Beatles, you name it! But, I have to admit, personally I've never loved Elvis.

The vast majority of bands we listen to today on this site have been influenced by Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, AC/DC etc... so shitting on them doesn't make much sense to me but I get that they are not popular with people born after 1990...;)

• Like 3