Daughtry - Heavy Is The Crown

Mr.AOR

• Mr.AOR changed the title to Daughtry - Heavy Is The Crown

Really like his first 3 albums but pretty much hated the last two.  Just felt like he got too poppy and really lost his edge. 

That said, the last 2 songs he's released have been excellent with World On Fire and this song.  There really wasn't anything like these 2 songs on those last 2 albums IMO.

If he indeed gets back to rocking the majority of the time I'll get back on board.

• 5 months later...

New album Dearly Beloved out today.

Checked this out and it's pretty good.  Now I'm one that liked his first few albums but despised the last couple as he tried to go with more of a mainstream, poppy style.  I had basically written him off.  But after reading he dumped his label and wanted to make the kind of album he wanted to make, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Definitely a more modern rock album.  Wish it maybe were a bit more melodic with harmonies, backing vocals and such but still blows away his last couple albums.  Early highlights for me are World On Fire, Heavy Is The Crown, Dearly Beloved and Asylum.  I think Asylum might be the heaviest sounding tune I've heard from him and for me Heavy Is The Crown might be one of the best tunes he's done period.

I don't love everything here but worth checking out if you've liked some of his stuff and wanted him to get back to more of a rock style.

37 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

New album Dearly Beloved out today.

Checked this out and it's pretty good.  Now I'm one that liked his first few albums but despised the last couple as he tried to go with more of a mainstream, poppy style.  I had basically written him off.  But after reading he dumped his label and wanted to make the kind of album he wanted to make, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Definitely a more modern rock album.  Wish it maybe were a bit more melodic with harmonies, backing vocals and such but still blows away his last couple albums.  Early highlights for me are World On Fire, Heavy Is The Crown, Dearly Beloved and Asylum.  I think Asylum might be the heaviest sounding tune I've heard from him and for me Heavy Is The Crown might be one of the best tunes he's done period.

I don't love everything here but worth checking out if you've liked some of his stuff and wanted him to get back to more of a rock style.

Happy to hear this as I agree with your summation on what's become of him. But yes, the new track definitely sounds more like what we expect from the guy. Glad I can look forward to spinning it know it's not going to be that same garbage he's been dishing out over the last few years. 

Am also a Daughtry fan, and like others, feel his first couple of albums are his best and my favorites; debut is phenomenal. His last few, agree not quite as memorable. New "Dearly Beloved" is definitely on my want list! 

"Dearly Beloved" is definitely a return to form for Daughtry or, at least, close to it.  He actually remembered to bring guitars to the studio with this one.  No, it's not the level of the first three albums but it's a LOT better than the last two.  If you're a fan, pick it up.

• 7 months later...