A question for our Canadian friends

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

What's the deal with French Canada? 

Canada is a very interesting Country. As with Australia, you guy's are obviously hugely influenced by American culture as well as British culture, but the French aspect fascinates me.

Do all Canadians speak French?

What percentage of Canada is considered French Canadian?

Are there non English speaking French Canadians? 

Pardon my ignorance, but it's always something that I was aware of, but never really knew the details.

I've always found it interesting, because even though Australia has been heavily influenced by British culture, there was a time where if things had of turned out differently, the main cultural influence in Australia would be French. 

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/australia-could-have-been-a-french-colony-academic-20121112-297dj.html

• My Little Pony

Yeah, what is the deal with French Canada??

I can't speak for every province, but out on the west coast we're all required to learn French until grade 9, at which point you have a choice to continue with French, switch to a different language (options depending on the school, but typically German, Spanish, or Japanese), or choose to not study any language. 

No disrespect to my francophone friends, but it has very little importance. Canada is made up of thirteen provinces, well, ten provinces and three territories--what's the difference? You tell me--but French is really only spoken in two: Quebec and Ontario. There's no need to know the language unless you plan for a career in politics. 

There are many communities in Quebec that strictly speak French. 

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Canadians cannot speak French, yet, for some reason, the world is convinced we all do. In 2007, I traveled across Europe, and nearly everyone I talked to would ask the same three questions when I told them I was Canadian: Are you from Toronto? No. Do you speak French? No. What do you think of President Bush? I literally have no fucks to give; wrong country. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
9 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yeah, what is the deal with French Canada??

I can't speak for every province, but out on the west coast we're all required to learn French until grade 9, at which point you have a choice to continue with French, switch to a different language (options depending on the school, but typically German, Spanish, or Japanese), or choose to not study any language. 

No disrespect to my francophone friends, but it has very little importance. Canada is made up of thirteen provinces, well, ten provinces and three territories--what's the difference? You tell me--but French is really only spoken in two: Quebec and Ontario. There's no need to know the language unless you plan for a career in politics. 

There are many communities in Quebec that strictly speak French. 

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Canadians cannot speak French, yet, for some reason, the world is convinced we all do. In 2007, I traveled across Europe, and nearly everyone I talked to would ask the same three questions when I told them I was Canadian: Are you from Toronto? No. Do you speak French? No. What do you think of President Bush? I literally have no fucks to give; wrong country. 

Merci Monsieur.

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Thank God for Google translate. 

;}

Seriously though, thanks for clearing it up. In fact, before I found out your name was Nolan, I thought you and Dead Planet were Lumberjacks named Pierre. 

I'm still not sure about Dead Planet.

• My Little Pony
16 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Seriously though, thanks for clearing it up. In fact, before I found out your name was Nolan, I thought you and Dead Planet were Lumberjacks named Pierre. 

This is literally every one of us. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
12 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

This is literally every one of us. 

Yep, a cross between that and Dudley Do Right holding a Hockey stick pretty much describes your average Canadian. 

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yep, a cross between that and Dudley Do Right holding a Hockey stick pretty much describes your average Canadian. 

Oh, there's nothing average about us. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

You forgot that we all live in igloos....lol

• Haha 1

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

You forgot that we all live in igloos....lol

Oh, I thought that was common knowledge. 

• My Little Pony
17 hours ago, Doggy said:

Please Understand Drag Race GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I believe it's Spanish for "merciful monster." The meaning must be lost in translation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nolan, how ya doin friend? I was just checkin on ya guy, was wondering what you thought about South Park? are you a fan pal?

Edited by Leykis101