Nestor - Kids In A Ghost Town

Stefan

There was a question in a Facebook group the other day regarding what everyone considers the greatest AOR debut album of all time, and I think this album was mentioned 6 or 7 times. Today I read a comment about it being the "best melodic rock album in 20 years".

For granted, I haven't heard the entire thing but the songs I have heard, I was not all that impressed by. It certainly didn't stick out as anything special or something that hasn't already been done (and done better) many times before.

The problem with it is that the bar was set too high by the initial videos IMO. It fed the assumption that the entire album would be at that level... and it isn't. Don't get me wrong, it is an incredibly good debut. There are a couple of songs that are absolutely phenomenal and potential alltime greats... but there are others that are IMO filler, and those drag the album as a whole down a notch or two from alltime great status.

• Like 2

• My Little Pony

I also think a lot of people have forgotten some of the truly great debut albums of the past. So many people, especially in the FaceTubes groups, are enamoured with every new release. I mean, if they like them, that's cool. But don't be so quick to write off the bands and albums that got us here. 

23 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I also think a lot of people have forgotten some of the truly great debut albums of the past. So many people, especially in the FaceTubes groups, are enamoured with every new release. I mean, if they like them, that's cool. But don't be so quick to write off the bands and albums that got us here. 

It seems to happen in everything. Like People claiming Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time. Hmmm... ok. People forget the past so quickly.

4 hours ago, auslander said:

It seems to happen in everything. Like People claiming Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time. Hmmm... ok. People forget the past so quickly.

he's better than Wilder ;)

As for Nestor, it's a very good album  - is it the best debut ever, no. Is it the best album of 2021, no. But its probably in the top 10 which is great in such a strong year for our music 

• Like 3

No one else has mentioned it, but it just keeps giving me Brother Firetribe debut vibes. Don't exactly know why. Maybe a slightly similar vocalist? 

Anyway, my initial findings stand (which more or less align with most here). Good album, but not amazing. I'm actually not even sure it'll make my top 10, but if not it'll be close. 

19 hours ago, Kristian said:

Just heard this album, got some huge Kiss vibes going on, I like it a lot.

"Stone Cold Eyes" is initially my favourite song.

Not sure if it's intentionally or not, but I think I noticed a couple of shout-outs in the lyrics, to Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and Skid Row.

That is my favorite song on the album 

• 3 months later...

2-1.jpg

Press release:

NESTOR SIGN WITH NAPALM RECORDS!

Deluxe version of debut album to be released in 2022.

Napalm Records is proud to welcome Swedish melodic rockers NESTOR to the family! The band has signed a worldwide record deal with the leading Austrian rock and metal record label.

Originally founded in 1989 but only releasing their first album "Kids In A Ghost Town" in 2021 it is NESTOR’s mission to restore the glory of rock!

Their acclaimed first album sent their fans on a journey back in time to the 80’s.

NESTOR on signing to Napalm Records:

”𝑾𝒆’𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑵𝒂𝒑𝒂𝒍𝒎 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒕𝒐𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒗𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝑵𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓. 𝑾𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒑𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒙𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑵𝒂𝒑𝒂𝒍𝒎 𝑹𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒅𝒔 𝒐𝒏 𝒃𝒐𝒂𝒓𝒅.”

Napalm Records CEO Thomas Caser adds:

"𝑾𝒆𝒍𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝑵𝑬𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑹 - 𝒂 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒖𝒏𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒇𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒘𝒉𝒐𝒎 𝒘𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔!"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NESTOR-Kids-in-a-Ghost-Town-Deluxe-Album

'Kids In A Ghost Town (Deluxe Album Edition)' out September 30.

Tracklisting:

1 A Fanfare for the Reliable Rebel (Intro)

2 On the Run

3 Kids in a Ghost Town

4 Stone Cold Eyes

5 These Days

6 Tomorrow feat. Samantha Fox

7 Signed in Blood*

8 Perfect 10 (Eyes Like Demi Moore)

9 I Wanna Dance with Somebody*

10 A Losing Game*

11 We are not Ok

12 Firesign

13 1989

14 It Ain’t Me (edited)

* = Deluxe Edition bonus tracks

• My Little Pony

This is exactly why I rarely buy an album at release. 

Wait. So, "Signed in Blood" isn't for an upcoming album?

• 2 months later...
  • My Little Pony
20 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

npr1163box_mockup.jpg

Yeah, I decided not to be so lazy, and went to the site. Thanks, though. 

• Haha 1

D'oh! Just bought a copy of the 2022 release cd. Didn't know about this special box. Nevermind, I'm not much into the memorabilia stuff anyways so I will pretend I wouldn't have got this instead...

I got the box as it's nice for the collection and I'm a bit of a sucker for these 'Fan' boxes that come out...(some are decidedly better than others it must be said). The new tracks really do add to the overall album and as mentioned by Karpetboy, is a nice touch they have been added in to the sequence of the album, rather than just being lazily tacked on the end as bonus tracks...A great album just got even better 

• Like 1