1, 2 KO combinations - "ten"

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Probably not much love here for these guys. I must admit that I haven't given a lot of attention to their stuff after "Far Beyond the World", but those first six albums are huge favourites of mine.

Definitely in my top ten bands just based on those albums alone.

I had the Gary Hughes ST solo album from '92 and loved it. Of course, this was back before the internet as we know it, so I had no idea about the debut until I saw it in the store.

One of my fondest musical memories is going home that day with a couple of mates and listening to it for the first time. We had an idea based on the solo album, but you never know.

We fired up the cones and when it started, we were in awe. It was a lean time back then and to hear this was unbelievable. 

Around the same time I was doing a lot of reading about esoteric subjects such as Freemasonry, the Knights Templar, the Rosicrucians, mysticism, ancient Egypt, the occult, etc and the themes, imagery, lyrics of "ten" always echoed those subjects.

This band is very special to me. Probably my favourite band after "Lynch Mob".

Really liked the debut which at the time was not what kind of record labels were releasing,so thats probably why...the next few were solid without being world beaters...enjoyed Babylon & Far Beyond The World and some of Spellbound but the rest just went the dungeons & dragons,swords & myths(even pirates) and that did nothing for me whatsoever...still doesnt,but those first few had potential.

probably my fav song of theirs..

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings as well....

Same

• Like 1

I hate this band so much these days.

BUT!

They were absolutely fucking excellent for a good portion of time. Love the debut, love the follow up and I really love 'Babylon.' First two albums were great and a massive part of my discovering melodic rock was still alive and well in the mid to late 90s.

I actually liked these guys all the way up until 'Heresy & Creed' in 2012. 

My absolute favourite moment from the early days;

• Like 1

I like the 2 albums mentioned above but apart from those and occasional moments on Heresy and Creed I’m not overly familiar with their other releases.. any in particular you guys can recommend to check out? 

6 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

I like the 2 albums mentioned above but apart from those and occasional moments on Heresy and Creed I’m not overly familiar with their other releases.. any in particular you guys can recommend to check out? 

Give 'Babylon' a crack. That and their debut are my faves. But 'The Robe' is strong too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Give 'Babylon' a crack. That and their debut are my faves. But 'The Robe' is strong too. 

Thanks mate, I’ll jump on those this afternoon. I’ve heard a couple from both and enjoyed them. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Geoff said:

Yeah Id start there, thats probably their best for me...a little heavier and Vinny Burns sounds so good on this upon his return to the fold,some of his best work since the early Dare albums.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, lettard said:

Yeah Id start there, thats probably their best for me...a little heavier and Vinny Burns sounds so good on this upon his return to the fold,some of his best work since the early Dare albums.

@Geoff, @Darkstone & @lettard Thanks fellas.. loving Babylon! The first 3 songs really hit the spot and as mentioned above Vinny is really cutting loose on this one. 

• Like 1