1, 2 KO combinations - "Bon Jovi"

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

I thought I'd create some threads focusing on some of the great debut+follow up album releases over the years.

There's been quite a few. This example speaks for itself.

I won't be posting all tracks, just my absolute favourites.

Probably the two most consistent BJ albums in their entire discography. Love 'em both... particularly the debut. 

• Like 1

Loved the first one but wasn't overly impressed with release #2 although it has some good songs.....if I were picking back to back great releases by the band I would have to choose Slippery When Wet and New Jersey as both were excellent....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Loved the first one but wasn't overly impressed with release #2 although it has some good songs.....if I were picking back to back great releases by the band I would have to choose Slippery When Wet and New Jersey as both were excellent....

Yup. Some good songs on, but fairly patchy. But  Sippery and NJ are both so much better, with not single duff song on either.

Hell, Keep the faith is better than the first two, but just a step below Slippery & NJ.

• Like 1

Probably in the minority here - I’m a fan of the Jovi catalogue barring his latest output and these 2 don’t rank anywhere near the top for me. Not to say they are poor albums, absolutely not, I don’t personally feel they are as consistent with some tunes being better than others.

In And Out Of Love and Runaway will always have a place in my playlist - Top songs. 

• Like 3

On 3/2/2021 at 2:52 AM, Dead Planet said:

First is an amazing debut.

Second is what was left over from the first IMO.
Although there are a few great tracks, like you said, it pales.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Aordave89 said:

Probably in the minority here - I’m a fan of the Jovi catalogue barring his latest output and these 2 don’t rank anywhere near the top for me. Not to say they are poor albums, absolutely not, I don’t personally feel they are as consistent with some tunes being better than others.

In And Out Of Love and Runaway will always have a place in my playlist - Top songs. 

Agreed 100%

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Aordave89 said:

Yeah Slippery & New Jersey would be the pinnacle for me...the first two though not bad aren't anywhere near where they took it on albums 3 and 4

• Like 1

crazy comments in here.

Debut will always be the pinnacle - you can sense the hunger on that album. 

they have never recaptured that raw energy of tracks like Roulette or Shot. 

In fact I would go as far as they got ever so slightly worse on each album.

I like SWW but there's only really 3 truly killer tracks. Shot, livin & Id Die

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen said:

crazy comments in here.

Debut will always be the pinnacle - you can sense the hunger on that album. 

they have never recaptured that raw energy of tracks like Roulette or Shot. 

In fact I would go as far as they got ever so slightly worse on each album.

I like SWW but there's only really 3 truly killer tracks. Shot, livin & Id Die

What's crazy about it? Because it's not your opinion?

That's what is great about this site, we all have differing opinions.

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors
52 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Very True. For example, it's a close call, but I reckon my favourite album is "Keep the Faith" followed very, very closely by the debut.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Very True. For example, it's a close call, but I reckon my favourite album is "Keep the Faith" followed very, very closely by the debut.

My favourite album is Have A Nice Day - that’s crazy if you want crazy. 

Slippery and New Jersey are creeping right up behind it however...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:50 PM, AlphaMale said:

yeah it's crazy IMO .. not saying your wrong. 

The debut is still their finest hour by some margin for me. 7800 I remember being disappointed with initially, but it has grown on me over the years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jez said:

The debut is still their finest hour by some margin for me. 7800 I remember being disappointed with initially, but it has grown on me over the years. 

yep

On 3/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Yup. Some good songs on, but fairly patchy. But  Sippery and NJ are both so much better, with not single duff song on either.

Hell, Keep the faith is better than the first two, but just a step below Slippery & NJ.

The first time I've defended BON JOVI in years (maybe decades).

Two MONSTERS of the genre.  

SLIPPERY and NEW JERSEY are both so damn good, and were released at the PERFECT times.  Late 1986 for Slippery, that extended into the summer of 1987 for the massive tour, and fall of 1988 for the release of NJ and a spring / summer tour in 1989 that included Skid Row on the ticket (at least here in Portland, Oregon).

Maybe it was just the "perfect time" in my life... at least for Slippery... that added to the "ambiance" of the whole thing?  I don't know, but I look back with such adoration of those two that I'm willing to forgive what a shitty band Bongiovi has become.

Near perfection for those two.  My only question is why they nixed "Edge Of A Broken Heart."  I'd have preferred they'd left-off "Wanted."

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, gener8tr said:

The first time I've defended BON JOVI in years (maybe decades).

Two MONSTERS of the genre.  

SLIPPERY and NEW JERSEY are both so damn good, and were released at the PERFECT times.  Late 1986 for Slippery, that extended into the summer of 1987 for the massive tour, and fall of 1988 for the release of NJ and a spring / summer tour in 1989 that included Skid Row on the ticket (at least here in Portland, Oregon).

Maybe it was just the "perfect time" in my life... at least for Slippery... that added to the "ambiance" of the whole thing?  I don't know, but I look back with such adoration of those two that I'm willing to forgive what a shitty band Bongiovi has become.

Near perfection for those two.  My only question is why they nixed "Edge Of A Broken Heart."  I'd have preferred they'd left-off "Wanted."

"Edge" is a killer track, but I love "Wanted" as well.

I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much love for "Wanted" around here. It surprises me.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Are you saying the debut is patchy, or just '7800?'

I thunk both are consistent as heck with the only kind of lower tier on the debut being 'Get ready,' which is still good fun and '7800' is pretty much the same level for me. 

On 'Slippery' I never really thought much of 'Social disease,' 'Wild in the streets,' 'Let it rock' and 'Wanted dead or alive.' 'Social disease' probably the only actual filler, but my thoughts anyway. And 'New Jersey' did of course possess 'Homebound train,' 'Ride cowboy ride' and 'Love for sale' which I think are all junk, personally. I'd struggle to see a bigger duff than any of those tunes on the first two albums. ;)  

Anyway, conclusion for me is that the debut is easily my favourite album from them. Killer disc. :)

'Keep the faith' is mostly killer too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

"Edge" is a killer track, but I love "Wanted" as well.

I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much love for "Wanted" around here. It surprises me.

I just find it to be such a bland song. I don't actually think it's a bad song. I don't hate it... but it bores the shit out of me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I just find it to be such a bland song. I don't actually think it's a bad song. I don't hate it... but it bores the shit out of me. 

For me, it's akin to "Sugar" from Leppard.  Meaning quite possibly considered the band's magnum opus... when neither Wanted nor Sugar should be considered as such in my opinion.  I loved Sugar when first released... then after hearing it for the 10,479th during the summer of 1987 alone, it started grinding on me a bit.

I could actually go without ever hearing Wanted again and not lose any sleep... but 35 years later and I still never turn the dial should Bad Name come on.

32 minutes ago, Geoff said:

On 'Slippery' I never really thought much of 'Social disease,' 'Wild in the streets,' 'Let it rock' and 'Wanted dead or alive.' 'Social disease' probably the only actual filler...

Oddly enough, for at least 20 years after Slippery was released I'd use the term "Nothing A Shot Can't Cure" several times per week.

Edited by gener8tr

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Are you saying the debut is patchy, or just '7800?'

I thunk both are consistent as heck with the only kind of lower tier on the debut being 'Get ready,' which is still good fun and '7800' is pretty much the same level for me. 

On 'Slippery' I never really thought much of 'Social disease,' 'Wild in the streets,' 'Let it rock' and 'Wanted dead or alive.' 'Social disease' probably the only actual filler, but my thoughts anyway. And 'New Jersey' did of course possess 'Homebound train,' 'Ride cowboy ride' and 'Love for sale' which I think are all junk, personally. I'd struggle to see a bigger duff than any of those tunes on the first two albums. ;)  

Anyway, conclusion for me is that the debut is easily my favourite album from them. Killer disc. :)

'Keep the faith' is mostly killer too. 

Agree 100% about NJ.

I love it but those tracks you mentioned are definite fillers.