Jump to content

Savatage Appreciation Thread


AlphaMale
 Share

Recommended Posts

One of my all time favorite bands.

Started for me when I heard this killer song:

 

This band progressed with each album. The thrashy metal of Sirens. And then came Power Of The Night, where they carved their own style and sound. The glamish Fight For The Rock followed up by the amazing Hall Of The Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, and Streets before the tragic death of guitarist Criss Oliva.

More favorites:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then there were the Zak Stevens years!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember going into a shop who was playing " Sirens " and they played next " Dungeons Are Calling ", I was instantly hooked. I asked who they were , so end up buying both.
 Pity Paul O' Neill, who was their manager passed away, who write songs with them. He was the brains behind Trans - Siberian Orchestra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My Little Pony

Fuck! I love this band. 

Just like Queensryche, I bounce back between to consecutive albums when deciding which is my favourite: Gutter Ballet and Streets

My copy of Gutter Ballet has a live version of "Hounds" which is insane. I'm amazed at his vocal stamina.

Love this one, too!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors

I can remember seeing these albums all the time back in the day, but i've never really given these guys much of a go.

The vocals never really grabbed me from what little I've heard. I've got all their stuff on file. Judging by the above comments, I may have to revisit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My Little Pony
9 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

The vocals never really grabbed me from what little I've heard. 

Honestly, not to be dramatic, but I think his vocals--to be clear, I'm talking about Jon Oliva--are beautiful. His ability to convey a range of emotions is incredible. Brings me to tears occasionally. And I have no problem admitting that. I would murder multiple people to have his voice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I can remember seeing these albums all the time back in the day, but i've never really given these guys much of a go.

The vocals never really grabbed me from what little I've heard. I've got all their stuff on file. Judging by the above comments, I may have to revisit.  

Check out Handful Of Rain as it has Zak Stevens on vocals and is incredible.....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favourite bands. If you don't like the earlier more metal stuff with Jon on vocals you can always go with the more theatrical stuff with Zakk. There is something here for everyone but it is a lot of music to digest or pick from if you are new to them. Personally I love Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet and Edge of Thorns the most. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TBH, I wasn't a big fan of the vocals on Edge Of Thorns at first. So used to the snarl of Jon. But the music was so good, I kept playing it until I was hooked on it. One of my favorites from the band.

Poets And Madmen with Jon back on lead vocals was awesome too!

Edited by AlphaMale
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm another who can't decide from one day to the next on Gutter Ballet or Streets, both sooo good as is Edge Of Thorns...miss them riffs from Criss...his talent was immense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lettard said:

I'm another who can't decide from one day to the next on Gutter Ballet or Streets, both sooo good as is Edge Of Thorns...miss them riffs from Criss...his talent was immense.

His tone was incredible. Amazing guitarist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

TBH, I wasn't a big fan of the vocals on Edge Of Thorns at first. So used to the snarl of Jon. But the music was so good, I kept playing it until I was hooked on it. One of my favorites from the band.

Same as me...think it was more to do with him being the new guy if I'm honest...I did the same when Alex Skolnick joined for Handful Of Rain...before sorting myself some years later  :) the shame

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, lettard said:

I did the same when Alex Skolnick joined for Handful Of Rain...before sorting myself some years later  :) the shame

Yup. Me too. And that album smokes!! Taunting Cobras is a great lead track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.