Concert Experience - What are yours?

Aordave89

I’ve seen the below ‘concert experience’ floating about on social media for a few weeks and thought it would be interesting to read everyone’s lists. I’m sure between us we have witnessed some pretty awesome concerts (and some not so). 
Ive cheated on a couple a listed more than one.. Even then I’ve left some out!

First concert - Rooster (2005 Sheffield)

Last concert - H.E.A.T (Stockholm)

Best concert - Rammstein (Nottingham), Def Leppard (Sheffield), H.E.A.T (Manchester) & Extreme (Birmingham) 

Worst concert - Kane Roberts (Nottingham)

Loudest - H.E.A.T, Crazy Lixx & Reckless Love (Nottingham)

Seen the most - H.E.A.T (14) / Reckless Love (12) / FM (12)

Most surprising - Night Ranger (Wales) Knew they would be good but not THAT good!

Next concert - Trivium (Manchester) / H.E.A.T (Leeds) hopefully...

Wish I could have seen -  RATT (original), Warrant (with Janie), Journey (with Steve Perry) & Skid Row (with Seb) 

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of you guys put.

First concert - Motor Ace (mid 90s in Eastwood)

Last concert - Reckless Love (Sydney)

Best concert - probably Reckless Love, to be honest. Tesla were awesome too. Very few I haven't enjoyed to be fair. 

Worst concert - Lynch Mob, purely because of song selection. They managed to play all the weakest songs in the discography while dodging 90% of the best... even though they were great otherwise. And I don't remember exactly why, but I remember being disappointed by Winger too. Maybe also due to set list? 

Loudest - Brides of Destruction (Sydney) - near inaudible

Seen the most - Steel Panther? I think. Maybe a random like Silverstein? Not 100% sure on this one due to festivals, but I think it might be Silverstein. 

Most surprising - This one's hard to answer. Maybe Killswitch Engage. Not really a massive fan of their albums due to the screams, but they basically blew my face off. It was pretty awesome. And can I say BB Steal too, just because I never in a billion years thought I'd see them? And they were great. 

Next concert - lol. R.I.P. the concert life. :(

Wish I could have seen -  Can I just say all of them? Top of the list would be Cauterize, Poison (in their prime) and Danger Danger (with Ted). Not to mention Treat, Fate, Casanova... would the list ever end? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

First concert - Motor Ace (mid 90s in Eastwood)

Last concert - Reckless Love (Sydney)

Best concert - probably Reckless Love, to be honest. Tesla were awesome too. Very few I haven't enjoyed to be fair. 

Worst concert - Lynch Mob, purely because of song selection. They managed to play all the weakest songs in the discography while dodging 90% of the best... even though they were great otherwise. And I don't remember exactly why, but I remember being disappointed by Winger too. Maybe also due to set list? 

Loudest - Brides of Destruction (Sydney) - near inaudible

Seen the most - Steel Panther? I think. Maybe a random like Silverstein? Not 100% sure on this one due to festivals, but I think it might be Silverstein. 

Most surprising - This one's hard to answer. Maybe Killswitch Engage. Not really a massive fan of their albums due to the screams, but they basically blew my face off. It was pretty awesome. And can I say BB Steal too, just because I never in a billion years thought I'd see them? And they were great. 

Next concert - lol. R.I.P. the concert life. :(

Wish I could have seen -  Can I just say all of them? Top of the list would be Cauterize, Poison (in their prime) and Danger Danger (with Ted). Not to mention Treat, Fate, Casanova... would the list ever end? 

Brides of Destruction.. man I wish I had seen those. Was spinning the Here Come The Brides album last week. 

I hear you with Lynch Mob and the set list, I saw Firehouse and they disappointed. A 20 min drum solo in the middle of the set just killed all energy. They played the hits but was a short set. I saw Winger and thought similar to you also. 

3 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Brides of Destruction.. man I wish I had seen those. Was spinning the Here Come The Brides album last week. 

I hear you with Lynch Mob and the set list, I saw Firehouse and they disappointed. A 20 min drum solo in the middle of the set just killed all energy. They played the hits but was a short set. I saw Winger and thought similar to you also. 

Brides of Destruction were very cool - just a shame I couldn't hear a sound for a week after seeing them. Fuck me it was loud, lol. There were times I seriously just couldn't make out the songs as it was just this massive wall of sound. 

Haha, 20min drum solo would be a kick in the balls when you get to see a band like Firehouse. Not cool for their fans who may not ever have seen them before. 

• Like 1

First concert - Gillan - Magic Tour 1982

Last concert - Night Flight Orchestra / One Desire - 06.03.20 !! officially my longest time with no gigs since 1982.

Best concert - Too many lol. I guess tops would be Queen - Knebworth 86, REO - Hammy Odeon 85, Bon Jovi - Hammy Odeon 86 (SWW tour), Giant - Marquee, London (90??), plus some of the Firesfest gigs/festivals

Worst concert - Drive She Said (Nottingham Firefest) - sound was off and was like they were all playing different songs !

Loudest - Motorhead - Bomber anniversary tour

Seen the most - Not sure - either one of maiden, marillion, HEAT or Vega- all about 10 times

Most surprising - Slipknot at London Brixton Academy - they were amazing !

Next concert - HEAT / Vega in Oct 2021 - expectìng it to be postponed though

Wish I could have seen -  Journey (with Perry), Rainbow & black Sabbath with RJD, AC/DC with Bon Scott, Triumph in their prime

30 minutes ago, Glen said:

First concert - Gillan - Magic Tour 1982

Last concert - Night Flight Orchestra / One Desire - 06.03.20 !! officially my longest time with no gigs since 1982.

Best concert - Too many lol. I guess tops would be Queen - Knebworth 86, REO - Hammy Odeon 85, Bon Jovi - Hammy Odeon 86 (SWW tour), Giant - Marquee, London (90??), plus some of the Firesfest gigs/festivals

Worst concert - Drive She Said (Nottingham Firefest) - sound was off and was like they were all playing different songs !

Loudest - Motorhead - Bomber anniversary tour

Seen the most - Not sure - either one of maiden, marillion, HEAT or Vega- all about 10 times

Most surprising - Slipknot at London Brixton Academy - they were amazing !

Next concert - HEAT / Vega in Oct 2021 - expectìng it to be postponed though

Wish I could have seen -  Journey (with Perry), Rainbow & black Sabbath with RJD, AC/DC with Bon Scott, Triumph in their prime

So jealous you saw Giant back in 90, I think I have the bootleg for that show, or possibly the 92 tour. 

Agreed with Firefest, I did all of them but 2, highlight of the year with many excellent performances. The Magnificent was one that always stands out, stunning album. Agree with you on Drive, She Said, wasn’t great at all. 
Do you do Rockingham or HRH?

Usually catch Slipknot when they tour, always a monster live act. 

3 hours ago, Aordave89 said:

So jealous you saw Giant back in 90, I think I have the bootleg for that show, or possibly the 92 tour. 

Agreed with Firefest, I did all of them but 2, highlight of the year with many excellent performances. The Magnificent was one that always stands out, stunning album. Agree with you on Drive, She Said, wasn’t great at all. 
Do you do Rockingham or HRH?

Usually catch Slipknot when they tour, always a monster live act. 

So many Firefest highlights - miss it & Rockingham immensely - my highlights (in no order) were :

Boulevard - 2014

Jimi Jamison - the first time....What a rock moment - immense

Harem Scarem 2007

Valentine 2007

Gotthard with Steve Lee

Alien 2011 - perfection

Work of Art 2013

WET 2013

Babylon AD 2014

White Sister the first time

Beggars & Thieves - amazing performance

Nelson - first time with Mark Slaughter. Incredible 

Disappointments:

Firehouse - walked out both times

Lynch Mob - walked out

PC69- just thought Readman was weak as a frontman and not v confident

Kane Roberts- ditto. just really shy and embarrassed - was weird

Drive she said - bad sound

tall stories - Augeri voice shot. Still is

Unruly child - wanted it to be awesome....it was ok. just. 

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

First concert - Beach Boys and Jan & Dean lol.  Can't remember year...late 70's or early 80's I think.  I couldn't have been more than 8-10 yrs old.  Was basically told I was going by my Dad lol but really wasn't a bad show.

Last concert - H.E.A.T on the Monsters of Rock Cruise Feb 2020.

Best concert - Def Leppard in the Round 1988

Worst concert - Think I'd have to say Ratt in summer 2019.  It just wasn't good.  Pearcy just lacks charisma it was a boring show with all the replacement members.  We left with probably 4-5 songs still to go and many others were doing the same.  

Loudest - Kiss & Def Leppard in 2014 I guess.  Aren't they all pretty loud lol?

Seen the most - Def Leppard

Most surprising - Guess I'll say Crazy Lixx in 2017.  I had heard a few stories that their live show could be a bit subpar so wasn't sure what to expect but they were excellent.

Next concert - Def Leppard and Motley Crue in Aug 2021 if it holds up.

Wish I could have seen -  Elvis Presley

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Glen said:

So many Firefest highlights - miss it & Rockingham immensely - my highlights (in no order) were :

Boulevard - 2014

Harem Scarem 2007

Valentine 2007

Gotthard with Steve Lee

Alien 2011 - perfection

Work of Art 2013

WET 2013

Babylon AD 2014

Disappointments:

Lynch Mob - walked out

Surprising about Firehouse.  I've probably seen them 5-6 times over the years, most recently twice last year on the MORC, and every show has been fantastic.  

What made them so bad for you? 

Edited by tts42572

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

Surprising about Firehouse.  I've probably seen them 5-6 times over the years, most recently twice last year on the MORC, and every show has been fantastic.  

What made them so bad for you? 

they were ok. Just very underwhelming after what had come before. Wrong headliner both times 

10 minutes ago, lettard said:

Would love to have seen that,never got the chance  :(

he was an absolute talent for sure. Saw Gotthard after his death and they were very average imo. He was Gotthard to me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Glen said:

he was an absolute talent for sure. Saw Gotthard after his death and they were very average imo. He was Gotthard to me. 

Fortunate enough to see Steve on the Domino Effect and Need To Believe tour.. phenomenal voice and front man. So sad he is no longer with us.

Same as Glen I have seen them twice with Nic and although not awful, just not the same. 

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

First concert - Beach Boys and Jan & Dean lol.  Can't remember year...late 70's or early 80's I think.  I couldn't have been more than 8-10 yrs old.  Was basically told I was going by my Dad lol but really wasn't a bad show.

Last concert - H.E.A.T on the Monsters of Rock Cruise Feb 2020.

Best concert - Def Leppard in the Round 1988

Worst concert - Think I'd have to say Ratt in summer 2019.  It just wasn't good.  Pearcy just lacks charisma it was a boring show with all the replacement members.  We left with probably 4-5 songs still to go and many others were doing the same.  

Loudest - Kiss & Def Leppard in 2014 I guess.  Aren't they all pretty loud lol?

Seen the most - Def Leppard

Most surprising - Guess I'll say Crazy Lixx in 2017.  I had heard a few stories that their live show could be a bit subpar so wasn't sure what to expect but they were excellent.

Next concert - Def Leppard and Motley Crue in Aug 2021 if it holds up.

Wish I could have seen -  Elvis Presley

Bet Lepp ‘In The Round’ was awesome.. I’ve watched footage from that era and they looked on top of the world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Boulevard - 2014

Harem Scarem 2007

Valentine 2007

Gotthard with Steve Lee

Alien 2011 - perfection

Work of Art 2013

WET 2013

Babylon AD 2014

Disappointments:

Lynch Mob - walked out

Can’t disagree at all with any of your highlights or disappointments. I would have to throw a handful more highlights in for me -

Heavens Edge, H.E.A.T, The Magnificent, D2, Robin Beck, JSRG, Von Groove, Circus Maximus & Crazy Lixx. 

Hell probably 80% of all bands that played have nailed it. Rockingham has had its fair share too. Let’s hope they gets back up and running next year. 

15 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Can’t disagree at all with any of your highlights or disappointments. I would have to throw a handful more highlights in for me -

Heavens Edge, H.E.A.T, The Magnificent, D2, Robin Beck, JSRG, Von Groove, Circus Maximus & Crazy Lixx. 

Hell probably 80% of all bands that played have nailed it. Rockingham has had its fair share too. Let’s hope they gets back up and running next year. 

mmm I'm not sure it ever will. All that shit that went down between Warrant & Pretty Maids was the final straw I think. 

Hope it isn't but it doesn't look good. 

13 minutes ago, Glen said:

mmm I'm not sure it ever will. All that shit that went down between Warrant & Pretty Maids was the final straw I think. 

Hope it isn't but it doesn't look good. 

I was front row waiting for Warrant and could hear it all. Not good. Hope we get another one, besides the music it was a great weekend with friends etc. 

I live in hope for a Firefest reunion. 

1 hour ago, Aordave89 said:

Bet Lepp ‘In The Round’ was awesome.. I’ve watched footage from that era and they looked on top of the world. 

Really was fantastic.  Wish they would remaster and reissue the In The Round DVD at some point and do it on Blu Ray with updated sounds codecs.

From a band that has reissued basically everything I'm surprised they haven't done this.

8 hours ago, Glen said:

7 hours ago, Aordave89 said:

I was front row waiting for Warrant and could hear it all. Not good. 

For those not in the knows, what's this all about? 

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I had to google it. I didn't know either. 

Have a read of this guys - pretty much explains it all. I remember at the time hearing the bands exchange choice words off stage - all got abit ugly. 

Shame as both played a killer set (Well until PM got the plug pulled anyway haha).

https://sleazeroxx.com/robert-mason-lashes-out-at-pretty-maids-for-taking-time-from-warrants-set-during-rockingham-festival/

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Have a read of this guys - pretty much explains it all. I remember at the time hearing the bands exchange choice words off stage - all got abit ugly. 

Shame as both played a killer set (Well until PM got the plug pulled anyway haha).

https://sleazeroxx.com/robert-mason-lashes-out-at-pretty-maids-for-taking-time-from-warrants-set-during-rockingham-festival/

Oh dear, what a mess, lol. Thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

First concert - Def Leppard - St. Albans City Hall 1980  'On Through The Night' tour

Last concert - Loads of bands on the Monsters of Rock Cruise Feb 2020 inc . H.E.A.T,  Y&T, Krokus, Honeymoon Suite, Thunder, Extreme, Autograph, FireHouse, Tokyo Motor Fist

Best concert -   Saga -  Hammersmith Odeon 'Misbehaviour' tour 1986 (with Honeymoon Suite).   Saxon - St. Albans City Hall 'Wheels Of Steel' tour 1980.   Blizzard Of Ozz - St. Albans City Hall,  1980.

Worst concert - Poison, Hammersmith Odeon 1993, Motley Crue Hammersmith Odeon 1986 with Cheap Trick, who destroyed them. Crue were great next time I saw them though

Loudest - Motorhead -  St. Albans City Hall, 'Another Perfect Tour' 1983. Manowar - St. Albans City Hall 1984

Seen the most - Saxon, Cheap Trick, Marillion,  

Most surprising - Tina Turner/ Bryan Adams at Wembley Arena 1985. 'Private Dancer' tour 

Next concert - Saxon..re-scheduled 3 times already, so not holding my breath for it this year. Rammstein at  The Ricoh Arena, re-scheduled from last year... Again  not holding out too much hope.

Wish I could have seen -  Queen, Bowie. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jez said:

First concert - Def Leppard - St. Albans City Hall 1980  'On Through The Night' tour

Last concert - Loads of bands on the Monsters of Rock Cruise Feb 2020 inc . H.E.A.T,  Y&T, Krokus, Honeymoon Suite, Thunder, Extreme, Autograph, FireHouse, Tokyo Motor Fist

Best concert -   Saga -  Hammersmith Odeon 'Misbehaviour' tour 1986 (with Honeymoon Suite).   Saxon - St. Albans City Hall 'Wheels Of Steel' tour 1980.   Blizzard Of Ozz - St. Albans City Hall,  1980.

Worst concert - Poison, Hammersmith Odeon 1993, Motley Crue Hammersmith Odeon 1986 with Cheap Trick, who destroyed them. Crue were great next time I saw them though

Loudest - Motorhead -  St. Albans City Hall, 'Another Perfect Tour' 1983. Manowar - St. Albans City Hall 1984

Seen the most - Saxon, Cheap Trick, Marillion,  

Most surprising - Tina Turner/ Bryan Adams at Wembley Arena 1985. 'Private Dancer' tour 

Next concert - Saxon..re-scheduled 3 times already, so not holding my breath for it this year. Rammstein at  The Ricoh Arena, re-scheduled from last year... Again  not holding out too much hope.

Wish I could have seen -  Queen, Bowie. 

Wheels of Steel tour. Grrr.

;)