Don Dokken - Up From the Ashes (1990)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Okay, this one is not only a no skip album, this is a no skip repeat album.

The best "Super Group" of our music ever? If not, they come close.

I remember like it was yesterday when I first heard "Crash N' Burn". This album is like a time machine for me and epitomizes the feel of the era, IMO.

I love George Lynch, but I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when he first heard this album.

Fantastic album and one of my all time favourites,still a go to every week at least for me,remember when this came out round the same time as Lynch Mob it was billed as a head to head.I personally loved both albums but this one was just like a continuation of Dokken and I preferred that,still love Wicked Sensation(for me another no skip disc) but this just purrs along with shear class,love it,the group he assembled wasnt too shabby either ;) 

Another gem from that golden time :) ah I remember it well , and my three sons have no choice but to continue that on,because its all I ever blast out at home :drink:

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

An absolutely fantastic album!

• Like 1

Awesome album. Don stated he fucked it up and tried to make it too perfect. 

I thought it was damn near perfect and shoulda just been a Dokken record had his ex=bandmates not been a bunch of dicks.

Still listen to this often.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

So who wins?

Don Dokken "Up From The Ashes" vs Lynch Mob "Wicked Sensation"

I think DD is better but I love the LM too.

Easy question that one... Lynch Mob 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

For a long time 'Back for the Attack' was my fave Dokken record,but over the years Under Lock & Key has overtaken it...'Up from the Ashes' was a cool record...I do remember George slagging it in print with: "I put Don's album on and my Sominex bills go down"...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

So who wins?

Don Dokken "Up From The Ashes" vs Lynch Mob "Wicked Sensation"

I think DD is better but I love the LM too.

Don for me. 

When I rated 89 I spent a long time rating Lynch Mob. It was a tricky one, because I thought it would be a lot higher but on reflection there are only about 5 really great tracks - think it struggled to about 77%

which is not a bad rating by any stretch but a lower than I thought it would be 

Yeah, can't fault this one. Love the whole thing too, and the level of musicianship is immense. Love it. 

This or Lynch Mob? Love both, but I might favour this one? Maybe the best songs on the Lynch Mob album ('No bed of roses' and 'Through these eyes' + a few others) but I think over all, for consistency, this one takes the cake.   

• Like 1