Europe - Prisoners in Paradise (1991)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

What an album this is! Absolutely NO SKIPS REQUIRED!

As with all of you guys, I was already a huge fan of their previous stuff, but when I heard this, it was next level.

This was on very high rotation in the car CD stacker back in the day. I think this album represents Europe's peak and it came right in that '91 sweet spot. To be fair though, I haven't given their stuff after this as much time as I  should. 

This album however is in IMO, one of the best ever. Perfect MHR.

• Like 1

Fully agreed - comprehensively superb album with no filler in sight. I remember listening to this repeatedly with a mate of mine who latched onto it and it was always on in his car as we drove around the joint for many years. Near flawless album. 

• Like 1

I found some fillers. Or at least songs that weren't keepers.
The difference is the quality of those that were keepers.
Title track is probably their best piece of music, should be their legacy rather than The Final Countdown.

Halfway To HEaven, I'll Cry For You and Talk To Me are also exceptional songs for me, not just keepers, but defining songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

I found some fillers. Or at least songs that weren't keepers.
The difference is the quality of those that were keepers.
Title track is probably their best piece of music, should be their legacy rather than The Final Countdown.

Halfway To HEaven, I'll Cry For You and Talk To Me are also exceptional songs for me, not just keepers, but defining songs.

Exceptional songs that are not keepers? Am I allowed to be confused? 

Who doesn't keep an exceptional song? 

Awesome album! Their best for me. Talk To Me, Seventh Sign, Halfway To Heaven.. Hard to pick tracks out as they are all killer. 

In terms of modern day Europe I really like Last Look At Eden, that’s a strong album. Don’t care for any after that.. 

These bonus tracks from Prisoners are also pretty damn good..

Japan bonus -

2001 Spitfire Records remaster bonus tracks - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Awesome album! Their best for me. Talk To Me, Seventh Sign, Halfway To Heaven.. Hard to pick tracks out as they are all killer. 

In terms of modern day Europe I really like Last Look At Eden, that’s a strong album. Don’t care for any after that.. 

Japan bonus -

Oh shit, thanks for that. I've heard 'Yesterday's news' but I'm not sure I've heard those other two. Will put these in my ears asap!

As for yours and just going back to Curethesane's post - 'Talk to me' and 'Halfway to heaven' are my two favourite songs on the album too. Is this kid seriously saying they're the worst, and non-keepers? So confused. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Japan bonus -

Just gave those last two a quick listen - more involved sessions to follow tomorrow. Both sound good. I can see why they were left off, but they were in such a ridiculous groove at this time I don't think they could have recorded a bad song if they tried. I can't wait to spin them more - thanks again!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Oh shit, thanks for that. I've heard 'Yesterday's news' but I'm not sure I've heard those other two. Will put these in my ears asap!

As for yours and just going back to Curethesane's post - 'Talk to me' and 'Halfway to heaven' are my two favourite songs on the album too. Is this kid seriously saying they're the worst, and non-keepers? So confused. ;)

Not the standout tracks on the album but certainly worthy, enjoy! 

I think he’s saying not only are they keepers but also defining songs of the genre. I must admit the first time I read it I confused the two words also.. time for a morning coffee :P

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just gave those last two a quick listen - more involved sessions to follow tomorrow. Both sound good. I can see why they were left off, but they were in such a ridiculous groove at this time I don't think they could have recorded a bad song if they tried. I can't wait to spin them more - thanks again!

No problem mate, glad you enjoyed. Completely agree, whilst they won’t rival the main album tracks they still rock!

I think I have the demo tapes from the Prisoners session somewhere, they may include some unreleased songs as well as demos/outtakes of the above.. give me a shout if you wanted to hear them. 

2 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

No problem mate, glad you enjoyed. Completely agree, whilst they won’t rival the main album tracks they still rock!

I think I have the demo tapes from the Prisoners session somewhere, they may include some unreleased songs as well as demos/outtakes of the above.. give me a shout if you wanted to hear them. 

Yes please, definitely! :) Thanks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

Not the standout tracks on the album but certainly worthy, enjoy! 

I think he’s saying not only are they keepers but also defining songs of the genre. I must admit the first time I read it I confused the two words also.. time for a morning coffee :P

Haha, how dumb am I? You are of course right regarding CureTheSane. Sorry, just kind of speed-reading stuff. 

Okay, fair enough Cure, but what then are these non-keepers your speak of? Please name names. 

Absolutely LOVE it!  Classic album

• Like 1

Fantastic album,my fav by these guys by some way,still listen at least once a week after all of these years,mine is the japan issue with Yesterdays News & Break Out as bonus tracks,pity they never kept this kind of release going,wouldve loved to hear more of Prisoners type material instead of the the durge they churn out these days.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 6:45 PM, Geoff said:

Exceptional songs that are not keepers? Am I allowed to be confused? 

Who doesn't keep an exceptional song? 

You missed what I was getting at...

They are not just keepers, but defining songs

Far better than just keepers.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, Geoff said:

Haha, how dumb am I? You are of course right regarding CureTheSane. Sorry, just kind of speed-reading stuff. 

Okay, fair enough Cure, but what then are these non-keepers your speak of? Please name names. 

Um, yeah, should have read through before I replied lol.

Saw Europe live when they toured a couple of years ago, and they were great, really great, which kinda surprised me for some reason.

Of recent albums, they also have killer tracks that many may have missed

Always The Pretenders
Wish I Could Believe
Devil Sings The Blues
New Love In Town
Bag Of Bones
Bring It all Home
Walk The Earth

Of course Joey's first solo album A Place To Call Home is an absolute must, just a killer album all round
His ST solo album in 2002 was also great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CureTheSane said:

Always The Pretenders
Wish I Could Believe
Devil Sings The Blues
New Love In Town
Bag Of Bones
Bring It all Home
Walk The Earth

Of course Joey's first solo album A Place To Call Home is an absolute must, just a killer album all round

100% on Joey’s first solo effort, nice laid back album full of brilliant melodic songs. 

In terms of recent Europe I've tried to get in to them but apart from Start From The Dark and Last Look At Eden (Both seriously good albums), I just can’t do it. Maybe too ‘bluesy’ for me at times. 

I have seen them on every UK tour for the last 10 years and they are still excellent live. Always a must when they roll in to town. 

45 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

100% on Joey’s first solo effort, nice laid back album full of brilliant melodic songs. 

In terms of recent Europe I've tried to get in to them but apart from Start From The Dark and Last Look At Eden (Both seriously good albums), I just can’t do it. Maybe too ‘bluesy’ for me at times. 

I have seen them on every UK tour for the last 10 years and they are still excellent live. Always a must when they roll in to town. 

Yeah that solo album deserves to be placed up on some kind of pedestal.
Talk about no filler, all killer.
Smacks of years of writing, refining and perfecting a bunch of songs that were defs not in the Europe style and hitting hard when the time was right.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Always The Pretenders
Wish I Could Believe
Devil Sings The Blues
New Love In Town
Bag Of Bones
Bring It all Home
Walk The Earth

Yep, "A Place To Call Home" is superb.