Sic Vikki - Kiss Me in French (1993)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Another no skip album IMO.

This was a complete unknown for me when I got it back in the day. Never heard of them before and the name was a bit dodgy, but when I saw it was produced by Steve Plunkett,  I had to take the risk. I'm glad that I did because this is one of my favourites. Just good party rock. 

"Stop Breakin' My Broken Heart" is the standout for me. 

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

Listen at least once a week, Stop Breakin My Broken Heart and Her Body Compliments The Beat are some of the greatest shit ever, the whole cd is imo a fucking brilliant masterpiece, and its mind blowing how it could just be so great and never be noticed??

• Like 1

Autograph Jr. I believe Plunkett cowrote every song, produced and did backing vocals and Rich Cox even sounds like him at times. Great album! No Plunkett around for their second cd and it shows. Hair bands were out and they adjusted their sound. Nonetheless I still love the song Crushin Velvet on album #2.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 minutes ago, shamus said:

Autograph Jr. I believe Plunkett cowrote every song, produced and did backing vocals and Rich Cox even sounds like him at times. Great album! No Plunkett around for their second cd and it shows. Hair bands were out and they adjusted their sound. Nonetheless I still love the song Crushin Velvet on album #2.

Yeah, Plunkett was definitely the magic ingredient on this one.

12 hours ago, shamus said:

I remember when the first album came out, one of the UK rock/metal mags did a write up on the band and the headline of the article was "Sons of Ratt" ... I can't remember exactly why they came up with that headline, but I do remember how much they focussed on the Autograph connection.

I just don't understand how this never got a bigger push on release? I was jocking at a rock station, this never hit my radar until the internet was prevalent, this is definitely a sad case, as it's radio friendly, what a fantastic fucking cd

Bec

13 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

I just don't understand how this never got a bigger push on release? I was jocking at a rock station, this never hit my radar until the internet was prevalent, this is definitely a sad case, as it's radio friendly, what a fantastic fucking cd

Because it came out way too late in 1993. Grunge had already taken hold by then, and even the bigger bands were struggling by then, so a new band had no chance. Plus the label it was on wasn't exactly a big deal (and sure it was a European label, so not even sure it was ever officially released in America, just imported).

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Bec

Because it came out way too late in 1993. Grunge had already taken hold by then, and even the bigger bands were struggling by then, so a new band had no chance. Plus the label it was on wasn't exactly a big deal (and sure it was a European label, so not even sure it was ever officially released in America, just imported).

That would make sense, about the era and shit, but even right before I got fired, was about 95 or 96, we were still getting really off shit, I remember literally 2 weeks b4 I got shit canned, we got and started playing both Can You Move Me by SingSing, and Veterans Song by Sundogs, that SingSing disc couldnt even be found in the stores, it was so small and obscure, that was when it was a new release, so IDK how this never even got brought up word of mouth if anything, Like when we played Blue Tears, I was instantly fanatical, but outside of the immediate people I knew, and other jocks, it was unknown, just fucking weird how shit that should be completely known, isnt, and fucking garbage is known and everywhere.

• 2023 Gold Donors
45 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

That would make sense, about the era and shit, but even right before I got fired, was about 95 or 96, we were still getting really off shit, I remember literally 2 weeks b4 I got shit canned, we got and started playing both Can You Move Me by SingSing, and Veterans Song by Sundogs, that SingSing disc couldnt even be found in the stores, it was so small and obscure, that was when it was a new release, so IDK how this never even got brought up word of mouth if anything, Like when we played Blue Tears, I was instantly fanatical, but outside of the immediate people I knew, and other jocks, it was unknown, just fucking weird how shit that should be completely known, isnt, and fucking garbage is known and everywhere.

I always got a huge "Danger Danger" vibe from these guys.

If this was released in '89 (D2 debut) or even '91 (Screw It), then it may have been a different story. They were about 3 or 4 years too late.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I always got a huge "Danger Danger" vibe from these guys.

If this was released in '89 (D2 debut) or even '91 (Screw It), then it may have been a different story. They were about 3 or 4 years too late.

Exactly. You think of all those new bands that were released from 91/92 onwards, most of them sank without a trace or tried to dip their toes into grunge/alternative (Wildside and Sven Gali). While they might be known in our circles, the general public will have never even heard of them, and their sales were not exactly setting the charts alight.

89 or maybe 90 was probably the last year for new band success, and the only bands that had any kind of success in 91/92 were established bands, then 93/94 was where it all went wrong.

Yep, another great one. 'Stop breaking my broken heart' is also the pick for me. Such a killer cut. But it's a really good album and I agree - the second one is a massive disappointment. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

299367428_554865319767275_63075914815371

22m  ·

The Discs are now ready!!!
Kiss Me In French - 30th Anniversary Reissue.
Available on CDBaby and directly through our website, coming soon! Stay tuned.
This will also be available on all streaming services as well.

The CD contains a new hidden track, never before released!
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...