Winger - Pull (1993)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

I think this is one of the most underrated albums of all time.

Not by aficionados such as ourselves, but in general. 

Another one of my all time favourite albums. The term "all killer, no filler" is used a lot, but this is truly one of those albums IMO. It also has one of the best intros ever (Junkyard Dog) and one of the best "outros" ever (Like a Ritual)!

After all these years, I've still never been able to find out WTF the image on the cover is.

Edited by Darkstone

Fantastic album,as you say not a bad song on this classic...heavy yet melodic...just a perfect mix.

Remember when this came out people(Kerrang etc) were saying that Winger were trying to be Metallica after the whole Beavis & Butthead thing...never really got that...they just made a great cd with great songs imho and it still sounds as good today as it did upon release.

Remember picking this up at my local music shop that never had Rock or Metal cds...didnt even know it had been released at the time,a brilliant suprise...took it home...loved it...and have done ever since  :) still gets regular spins.

Yeah as for the cover I always thought it looked like Magma or something :unsure:

• Like 2

by far his best, I was like holy shit the boys not a total pussy, love down incognito

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, martinsane said:

I was going say the same, incognito is a dinger.

As for the cover, truly looks like some sunburnt scrotum.

Sir I am color blind to everything but florescent orange, if you tell me thats what sunburnt scrotum looks like, you never lied to me before, so thats what sunburnt scrotum looks like!!!

I think all in all a case could be made that Winger for as much fluff as he put on his albums, he really never had many fillers, I think this was his pinnacle by far, I dont even think the 1st 2 cd's are in the same league as this, and as far as Down Incognito goes, jesus fucking christ, thats what I mean by Kip blew me away, that bass line is almost like, he was sick of getting made fun of and was like, oh yeah motherfuckers, i'll show you who the pussy is, I was in 10th grade when that album came out, and my friends who were seniors was playing that song, of course on a loud ass stereo out in the parking lot, I heard that bass line, I was like what the fuck is that shit? the other one I absolutely dug was Who's The One.

• Like 1

Pretty much agree on everything said so far. Often when a new group comes along somewhere down the line people usually think the first or/and second releases are the best. Winger is the exception, the third one destroys the previous efforts.

I'm not saying the previous are bad but 'Pull' is a class of its own.

It hasn't been topped since and it would take something special to throw 'Pull' from the top spot.

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

Each album has a special place in my heart. I was a teenager for the first one and a late teenager for the second one. For Pull, I was in the military stationed overseas. As a young GI overseas music helped pass the time and try to keep me out of trouble. This album came during that time and I played the hell out of it.

The Japanese version has a bonus track called “Hell To Pay” that’s not bad. My favorite tracks are Blind Revolution Mad, Spell I’m Under, Junkyard Dog and No Man’s Land.

• Like 1

I always liked Winger but never loved them. The first two albums had some great songs on them but also some songs that I just thought were ok. Then this came out and I was blown away with how good it was. While albums like Kharma came close, this is easily still my fave album by the band (especially Down incognito and Junkyard dog). Only thing that would have made this better is if they could have included Battlestations as a bonus track or something, much like Kiss with God gave rock n roll to you being put on Revenge.

• 2023 Gold Donors
23 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I always liked Winger but never loved them. The first two albums had some great songs on them but also some songs that I just thought were ok. Then this came out and I was blown away with how good it was. While albums like Kharma came close, this is easily still my fave album by the band (especially Down incognito and Junkyard dog). Only thing that would have made this better is if they could have included Battlestations as a bonus track or something, much like Kiss with God gave rock n roll to you being put on Revenge.

I'm glad they didn't actually. 

I love "Battle Stations", but I don't think it would have been a good fit for this album.

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 1/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, headbanger4life said:

Each album has a special place in my heart. I was a teenager for the first one and a late teenager for the second one. For Pull, I was in the military stationed overseas. As a young GI overseas music helped pass the time and try to keep me out of trouble. This album came during that time and I played the hell out of it.

The Japanese version has a bonus track called “Hell To Pay” that’s not bad. My favorite tracks are Blind Revolution Mad, Spell I’m Under, Junkyard Dog and No Man’s Land.

They're my four favourites too, BTW.

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 1/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

"In for the Kill" is one of the greatest songs ever crafted. 

Yeah, I still sping this often. 

Yeah, its theme is timeless also.

Quite poignant now actually. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, Darkstone said:

They're my four favourites too, BTW.

Yep, my four favourites too.

It's all been said so far. This album is an absolute killer. And to this day, I can't think of an album that sounds better musically and production-wise. There may be albums that sound just as good, but to me this was probably the first album that ever sounded as good as albums will ever be able to sound within the realm of human capability. It just sounds so awesome. 

This was a big album for me because my love for music up until I heard this album had probably been 80% all about the music and hooks n' stuff, but I hung and still hang on every lyric on this album. There's some excellent song writing on this, and it was this album, Warrant's 'Dog eat dog' and on a slightly different tangent, Vain's 'All those strangers,' - all three albums came out at a similar time - but all were the first times I had been really well and truly impressed with great lyrics in my "hair metal." 

Anyway, just rambling now... but this is a truly sensational album. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Yep, my four favourites too.

It's all been said so far. This album is an absolute killer. And to this day, I can't think of an album that sounds better musically and production-wise. There may be albums that sound just as good, but to me this was probably the first album that ever sounded as good as albums will ever be able to sound within the realm of human capability. It just sounds so awesome. 

This was a big album for me because my love for music up until I heard this album had probably been 80% all about the music and hooks n' stuff, but I hung and still hang on every lyric on this album. There's some excellent song writing on this, and it was this album, Warrant's 'Dog eat dog' and on a slightly different tangent, Vain's 'All those strangers,' - all three albums came out at a similar time - but all were the first times I had been really well and truly impressed with great lyrics in my "hair metal." 

Anyway, just rambling now... but this is a truly sensational album. 

Completely agree with you on Warrant's 'Dog eat dog'. That album just changed my world lol. Still my fave hard rock album to this day. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ponen said:

Completely agree with you on Warrant's 'Dog eat dog'. That album just changed my world lol. Still my fave hard rock album to this day. 

I’ll jump on the love for Dog Eat Dog - Incredible and underrated album which takes top spot for my favourite Warrant albums. 

23 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

I’ll jump on the love for Dog Eat Dog - Incredible and underrated album which takes top spot for my favourite Warrant albums. 

Yep, preaching to the choir on that one, chaps. Simply outstanding album.