NEH Records closing mid year 2021....

This has been discussed on the Melodic Mafia Facebook page, and it appears to be legit, so I thought I'd let everyone here know that sometime later this year, NEH Records will be closing up shop, as owner, Michael McPherson plans to retire. There will be no new releases carried going forwards, and there has been a "rarities" section added to the site where he is listing older, now out of print releases, with most being sealed. Discs released in the last few years have seen pretty dramatic price decreases as well.

I absolutely HATE to hear this, as NEH Records has been my Go To site for many years, and Michael has ALWAYS provided top notch service.

NEH Records will definitely be missed; thanks for all the CDs :drink:

https://www.nehrecords.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Metal T said:

I've used them less over the last couple of years - but NEH has been a reliable place for buying cd's for a long time.

Have you used NEH less, or are you just buying less CDs? Where else in America do you purchase CDs from? Shipping costs from overseas are so fucking ridiculous, and I really don't want to support Amazon. NEH had surprisingly competitive prices. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Wow! I hadn’t heard they were closing up. That sucks! There are not many options for those of us in the states. Mike would get a pretty good selection of stuff from all over the world. Ordering from overseas is just shitty right now with the high ass shipping rates. Even trying to get cd’s from neighboring Canada can be costly. 

Does anyone else know of any other online shops in US that are as good as NEH as far as selection, cost, shipping, reliability, etc.

Sad news indeed,havent ordered in a while from them due to the shipping costs just like you guys but from the other side of the pond.

To be honest it looks as though now that the UK has left the EU that it may even be more expensive to order from europe,had two sellers cancel my recent orders due to a change in postage prices and the need for import charges and paperwork  :( looks like i'll be ordering solely from the UK for a while now...but prices are bound to increase due to the seller having to pay extra to bring the items in?

Edited by lettard

This is sad. I stopped buying CDs a few years ago and consequently have a hand in what is happening to these places, but it's still sad. A gigantic chunk of my collection came from NEH over a great number of years. Although I contribute to it, it's inevitable and predictable, it's still sad to see these places fold. Thanks for the memories, NEH. 

• 2 weeks later...

Between 2000-2015, 75% of my purchases were likely from NEH. All of a sudden their shipping costs became unaffordable and I moved on. Then in 2017/18 I stopped buying CDs all together. 

It was a very reliable site and I must have bought 2 to 3 hundred titles from them. 

still miss getting that package in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Official statement on the site now:

NEH Records LLC has been in business now for over 25 years. I formed the business with my partner, Bobby Barth back in the 1990’s. At that time we functioned as a production company with a recording studio and as a distributor with ecommerce retail sales. We were one of the very first companies in the world to sell music on the internet. In 1999, we decided to divide the company. Bobby moved to Louisiana to front the Southern Rock band “Blackfoot” and took over the production and recording studio assets. I continued to operate the distribution and ecommerce portion of the business from my office in Colorado. Bobby retired a couple of years ago and it is time for me to do the same.

I am currently exercising an exit strategy that will result in the closure of NEH Records within the next few months. Toward this end, we stopped adding new releases and restocking older titles in December of 2020. We are also selling off all of our inventory and will continue this until all are gone. We add new SALE items to our web store on Wednesday of each week. In addition, we are selling off a number of very rare, collector’s item CDs that we have had in storage for decades. These are in the RARITIES section of the web site. These CDs are new, in mint condition and in many cases, still in the original factory packaging. They are priced competitively with other sites that sell CDs of this type (eBay, Amazon, Discogs, etc). 

It has been a pleasure serving the Melodic Rock music community for all these years. We appreciate the support and friendship we have shared with our customers, the artists, the media, our suppliers and other music business owners and their employees. We will miss you.

Michael McPherson: Owner, NEH Records LLC

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From NEH:

Visit our web site at: http://www.nehrecords.com

The last of our CDs have been marked down for SALE. All remaining CDs in stock are now $1.00 - $2.00 each.

Better get them now if you want them. We will be closing the site within the next 2 weeks.
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 5/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, whiplash1972 said:

From NEH:

Visit our web site at: http://www.nehrecords.com

The last of our CDs have been marked down for SALE. All remaining CDs in stock are now $1.00 - $2.00 each.

Better get them now if you want them. We will be closing the site within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks ! I got the last 2 copies of Mood Groove !

• 2 weeks later...