At The Movies - Vol. 2 (the 90's)

Stefan

There are plenty of times the cover is better. Just as a couple of covers done by Jaded Heart where they have taken on pop songs, rearranged them into rock songs. But it is down to personal choice. I tried listening to the original version of Paid my dues and thought it was awful, but the JH version is absolutely amazing. I actually like a lot of musical genres, so this is not just a bias for rock, its just I think the way they rearranged it makes it a much better version.

There are covers though rearranged into rock songs, that are poor as fuck and I will always stick with the original. Covering a song with no real change in the way the song was originally poor.

And then you have rock songs perform by other genre artists can also improve on the original (NIN/Johnny Cash - Hurt springs to mind).

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

There are plenty of times the cover is better. Just as a couple of covers done by Jaded Heart where they have taken on pop songs, rearranged them into rock songs. But it is down to personal choice. I tried listening to the original version of Paid my dues and thought it was awful, but the JH version is absolutely amazing. I actually like a lot of musical genres, so this is not just a bias for rock, its just I think the way they rearranged it makes it a much better version.

There are covers though rearranged into rock songs, that are poor as fuck and I will always stick with the original. Covering a song with no real change in the way the song was originally poor.

And then you have rock songs perform by other genre artists can also improve on the original (NIN/Johnny Cash - Hurt springs to mind).

my original point was that for every 1 which 'might' be better. there are 99 which are worse 

Hence why the comment 'the original is better' is a bit of a wasted statement.

The point of At The Movies is a bit of fun to ease people's boredom in lockdown 

Not to improve on what have mostly been classic well known songs 

6 hours ago, Glen said:

disagree sorry.

can't be bothered to go through them all but here are my thoughts on the first 2 -

Paint it Black - love the After Hours album and obviously the cover version is well played but it loses its true meaning - the original was written in 60s and was a reflection of the times - dark lyrics and sitar on original was a portrayal of psychedelia. The after hours track doesn't work on those levels

Blinded by the light - millions will obviously know this version as it was a hit i believe for MFM but millions of Bruce fans will also disagree with you as the original is vastly different and more earthy.

So there you go. IMO the original is always better and of course I think the BC version of this song is better as well - that doesn't stop me enjoying this version from At The Movies cos I love Strid vocals and its interesting to hear a guy sing it. Also the solo is cool

I like this version:

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

There is no doubt that there are many cover versions better than the original. A bit more than 1 in 100.

There already is a "cover songs" thread, but just as an example, here's three.

My Mum loved Joe Cocker, much to my dismay. I didn't get it. There is however, no denying how brilliant his reworking of "With a Little Help From my Friends" is.

Queen's "We Will Rock You" is deservedly iconic, but Warrant took it to a whole new level.

Even Glen can't deny the superiority of the third one from Kelly Hansen compared to the original.*

*:bananamac:

Edited by Darkstone
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

There is no doubt that there are many cover versions better than the original. A bit more than 1 in 100.

There already is a "cover songs" thread, but just as an example, here's three.

My Mum loved Joe Cocker, much to my dismay. I didn't get it. There is however, no denying how brilliant his reworking of "With a Little Help From my Friends" is.

Queen's "We Will Rock You" is deservedly iconic, but Warrant took it to a whole new level.

Even Glen can't deny the superiority of the third one from Kelly Hansen compared to the original.*

*:bananamac:

are u taking the piss? I will just assume you are and leave it at that 

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 minutes ago, Glen said:

are u taking the piss? I will just assume you are and leave it at that 

Well, there was an asterisk and a dancing banana involved. 

I can't be any clearer than that.

6 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Well, there was an asterisk and a dancing banana involved. 

I can't be any clearer than that.

I meant to all three 

Just now, Darkstone said:

That's just crazy talk.

Please note the absence of the dancing banana. 

even the artists themselves wouldn't have been so pretentious to claim their version was better 

anyway all this talk is pointless. my original point was that of course At The Movies covers are not better than the originals and they weren't meant to be 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

This is a great one. I was a big fan of the original and actually bought the CD single back in the day..... Don't judge me.

I love the original version.  Be glad you bought the CD single - there's a really, really good reason Miss Paige was a one-hit wonder, LOL.

• Like 1

Yeah..like that one also..so liking 75% of this other material only two i'm not keen on at all,a couple of belters and then a few pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

One of their best so far, I like!

• 2 weeks later...