At The Movies - Vol. 2 (the 90's)

Stefan

OK, so this one is weird for me.  I like the original - the "Stop" remix, which this covers.  This seems like a pretty good representation of the song.  It's certainly a lot better than some they've done.  

And, yet, it somehow all adds up to "it sucks" to me.  Not sure why.  

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, lettard said:

Hmmm..not bad but nowhere near the 80's material theyve done which is disappointing.

I agree. It's not bad and I like it, but their song selection on this album could be better.

Edited by Darkstone

7 hours ago, Stefan said:

No.

Why didn't they stay in the 80s? I'm about to give up on these covers.

PASS

• 2023 Gold Donors

I appreciate the effort, but yeah, they should have just made this an 80s movie soundtrack project through all volumes. I think they'll go back to the 80s for the third installment, if there is one. God help us if they do the '00s next.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what movies many of these songs come from.

I wish they would do a cover of Clout - "Substitute", I always thought that some heavy guitars would suit that song quite nicely, I'm not sure it was ever featured in a movie though, but who cares anyway, seems like a silly way to confine such a fine project.

• 2023 Gold Donors

This one's good, but not great. 

They should have just made this a general movie soundtrack project instead of confining themselves to a particular decade each album. 

I don't understand why they're choosing 80s songs from 90s movies.

Yeah, the 80s tracks are great, but it feels like they're cheating a bit. 

• My Little Pony

Well, the first album was made up of 80's movie theme songs. That's my understanding, anyway. But this album is made up of 80's songs found on 90's movie soundtracks. 

• My Little Pony
11 hours ago, lettard said:

Really like that one...drummer giving it big licks  :)

I love the drummer. He's inspired me to dust off my kit and start practicing, again. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, Glen said:

that can be said of every cover song in existence 

On the contrary my dear Glen, here are six examples were a cover is better than the original IMHO of course...

1 hour ago, Mr.AOR said:

On the contrary my dear Glen, here are six examples were a cover is better than the original IMHO of course...

disagree sorry.

can't be bothered to go through them all but here are my thoughts on the first 2 -

Paint it Black - love the After Hours album and obviously the cover version is well played but it loses its true meaning - the original was written in 60s and was a reflection of the times - dark lyrics and sitar on original was a portrayal of psychedelia. The after hours track doesn't work on those levels

Blinded by the light - millions will obviously know this version as it was a hit i believe for MFM but millions of Bruce fans will also disagree with you as the original is vastly different and more earthy.

So there you go. IMO the original is always better and of course I think the BC version of this song is better as well - that doesn't stop me enjoying this version from At The Movies cos I love Strid vocals and its interesting to hear a guy sing it. Also the solo is cool