Guilty Pleasures

AlphaMale

What bands/songs are your guilty pleasure that is outside the realm of AOR/Hard Rock?

One of my is LETTERS TO CLEO from Boston, MA.

Got hooked on the song "Here & Now" from one of those 90's shows like Melrose Place.

Some of my other favorites:

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

There are many different artists from many different genres that I love. I wouldn't call them guilty pleasures. I know what you mean though.

Rap was new at the time and these guys weren't afraid to embrace the guitar. 

I've mentioned it before, but my first concert was RUN-DMC. 1987.

I know KarpetRydOFunk will be amazed, but these guys were a big part of my childhood. 

Edited by Darkstone

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 7:18 AM, Glen said:

from this year albums by Miley Cyrus & Lady Gaga are excellent. 

You should consider these statements before you type them as some people actually follow you up on this. I just like good tunes and I don't care what it is so I was willing to give both a go. Your pop recommendation last year was decent - some UK girl fronted band - forget the name, but I think it was pretty cool. 

Honestly, I thought these two were both awful. Miley Cyrus had some okay-ish pop stuff on it, but jeez she's got an unappealing voice. Just didn't enjoy the songs enough either. It was definitely the better of the two, though. 

I didn't even make it through the Gaga one - just a continuous dance track - where was the appeal in it? It's funny, I listen to this and immediately think of that movie with the sadness and country music and stuff. Good film. But the music on her new album is basically the exact kind of sell-out, manufactured garbage she finds herself making in the film before it all comes crashing down. Soul-less trash. 

I actually agree she's probably a decent talent, but I found this album to be something any single girl with a voice could record over a repetitive dance track. 

Anyway, to each their own. Not sure of my guilty pleasures - you guys can probably tell me better than me as I'm pretty cool with my likes. 

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to listen to any christian band, though, so I guess christian rock in general is my guilty pleasure. But it's not pleasurable, so I guess it doesn't fit. It's frustrating more than pleasurable, so I don't think I can answer this question. 

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

You should consider these statements before you type them as some people actually follow you up on this. I just like good tunes and I don't care what it is so I was willing to give both a go. Your pop recommendation last year was decent - some UK girl fronted band - forget the name, but I think it was pretty cool. 

Honestly, I thought these two were both awful. Miley Cyrus had some okay-ish pop stuff on it, but jeez she's got an unappealing voice. Just didn't enjoy the songs enough either. It was definitely the better of the two, though. 

I didn't even make it through the Gaga one - just a continuous dance track - where was the appeal in it? It's funny, I listen to this and immediately think of that movie with the sadness and country music and stuff. Good film. But the music on her new album is basically the exact kind of sell-out, manufactured garbage she finds herself making in the film before it all comes crashing down. Soul-less trash. 

I actually agree she's probably a decent talent, but I found this album to be something any single girl with a voice could record over a repetitive dance track. 

Anyway, to each their own. Not sure of my guilty pleasures - you guys can probably tell me better than me as I'm pretty cool with my likes. 

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to listen to any christian band, though, so I guess christian rock in general is my guilty pleasure. But it's not pleasurable, so I guess it doesn't fit. It's frustrating more than pleasurable, so I don't think I can answer this question. 

sorry you dislike them, but these are my guilty pleasures after all.... not yours ;) 

I like several songs on both but to me Rain on Me and Midnight Sky are 2 of the most perfectly constructed pop songs I've heard in a long time.

I would also add Dua Lipa as well - I like virtually every one of her songs 

8 hours ago, Glen said:

sorry you dislike them, but these are my guilty pleasures after all.... not yours ;) 

I like several songs on both but to me Rain on Me and Midnight Sky are 2 of the most perfectly constructed pop songs I've heard in a long time.

I would also add Dua Lipa as well - I like virtually every one of her songs 

Dua Lipa is cool. That 'Let's get physical' song was a mainstay on my USB stick for the kids this year. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, AlphaMale said:

What bands/songs are your guilty pleasure that is outside the realm of AOR/Hard Rock?

One of my is LETTERS TO CLEO from Boston, MA.

Got hooked on the song "Here & Now" from one of those 90's shows like Melrose Place.

Some of my other favorites:

i don't know if I would consider Letters to Cleo a "guilty pleasure", I guess only because they're outside of AOR/Hard Rock and are part of 90's grunge era. I guess I like some Soundgarden,  The Sundays,Cranberries, Matchbox Twenty.... that would be along the same lines

now this is a guilty pleasure and it rocks in a different way :)

Baltimora - Tarzan Boy

• Like 1

Alright, if we are all admitting one, sometimes i enjoy getting a rim job, but just once in awhile.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

Alright, if we are all admitting one, sometimes i enjoy getting a rim job, but just once in awhile.

You're welcome. 

• Haha 2

oh shit, i thought it was guilty pleasures, my bad, ok then how about Wham!

Oh yeah, thats ok, my fav is that other guy, you know wham was supposedly 2 dudes,i gotta have faith it really was

• 7 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Some guilty pleasures from the 90s...call it grunge or alternative rock...I was into all 4 bands at the time...

That "Bush" album wasn't too bad.

"Comedown" is a great track.

If you're a fan though, don't delve too deeply into Gavin Rossdale's past.

It gets ugly.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Darkstone said:

That "Bush" album wasn't too bad.

"Comedown" is a great track.

If you're a fan though, don't delve too deeply into Gavin Rossdale's past.

It gets ugly.

The only negative for me was that they sounded too much like Nirvana...although I consider them a better band with better songs...

• 2023 Gold Donors
15 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

The only negative for me was that they sounded too much like Nirvana...although I consider them a better band with better songs...

I was talking about his pre Stefani personal life. 

Here's a clue.