Walk The Walk - Walk The Walk

Stefan

From AOR Heaven:

In early 2020, former DIO guitarist Tracy G introduced J. Adler and Paul Alfery, knowing they both love melodic hard rock with big choruses and strong hooks. They got busy writing and recording an album that they are both extremely proud of. Both J. and Paul look forward to sharing this music with melodic hard rock fans all over the world.

J. Adler has recorded vocals with the following artists amongst others: David Ellefson (Megadeth), Ray Luzier (David Lee Roth), Tracy G. (Dio), Matt Bachand (Shadows Fall), Tim Gaines (Stryper), Larry "Bones" Dennison (Lita Ford, Dio), Ryan Hoyle (Paul Rodgers), Paul Bostaph (Slayer, Testament), Steve Conley (Flotsam & Jetsam), Rex Carroll (Whitecross), & Billy Smiley (Whiteheart) and has fronted 2 "supergroups" over the years. DEAD OF NIGHT featured Grammy-nominated artists Matt Bachand (Shadows Fall, Act Of Defiance) on guitar and Jon Donais (Anthrax, Shadows Fall) on lead guitar, as well as Derek Kerswill (ex-Unearth, Kingdom Of Sorrow) on drums, Jeff Fultz (ex-Seemless) on bass. The other was GOADED with Ray Luzier (Korn), Tracy G. (Dio, WWIII) and Larry Dennison (Dio, Lita Ford).

Multi-Instrumentalist Paul Alfery regularly played Hollywood’s Sunset Strip in the eighties and early nineties. He has shared the stage with Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Tony Iommi and other notable musicians. Paul has worked with hit songwriters Marti Frederiksen (Aerosmith, Buckcherry, Ozzy Osbourne, Mötley Crüe) and Stephan Williams (Great White).

Paul Alfery wrote, produced, and engineered Guilty Pleasure’s “Busted”. Guilty Pleasure was carried by NEH Records in the US and distributed in Europe by Target Records. Paul appeared on Tracy G’s “Tarantula Ditch” along with Mark Kendall (Great White), Rowan Robertson (DIO), Toshi Hiketa (David Lee Roth),Jimi Bell (House of Lords) and others. He also appeared as a member of Collusion on the 2019 Perris Records release “Hollywood Hairspray 8”.

Paul Adler recorded all vocals for WALK THE WALK at his studio in Sedona, AZ while Alfery took care of all instrumental tracks at his studio in Southern California. Produced by Paul Alfery and J. Adler. Mixed by Paul Alfery and mastered by Ty Sims at the Recovery Room in Conway, AR.

walkthewalk-cover-web.jpeg

Track list:

1. Heaven’s On It’s Way Down 

2. Running From You 

3. Are You there 

4. Two Miles To Go

5. Find The Light 

6. Fight On Your Feet

7. Get Busy Livin

8. Move On

9. Never Been To California

10. Getaway

https://www.facebook.com/walkthewalkband

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lettard said:

Not bad at all..will keep an eye on this.

Same

• 1 month later...

Saw another tune from this out.  Not really sure what I think about it.  Think my initial reaction was kind of "meh" but it's interesting....It's got a little different vibe to it.  The vocals have a bit of a modern rock edge to them but the music seems more AOR/melodic rock based.   Still probably give the album a listen when it drops.

Edited by tts42572

• 3 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony
Just now, Stefan said:

*cough* fuck *cough* you *cough*

*cough* I *cough* love *cough* you too *cough* *cough*

Did a search for “walk the walk” before posting my thread and this one did not come up. I guess I was too fucking specific for this board’s search algorithm. Whatthefuckever...

Yeah this isnt too bad at all, a nice suprise,really like the opener Heavens On Its Way Down,this may not reinvent the wheel but I dont care,vocals aint amazing but im enjoying it for what it is... just a nice solid melodic rock record with its various influences.

18 minutes ago, lettard said:

Yeah this isnt too bad at all, a nice suprise,really like the opener Heavens On Its Way Down,this may not reinvent the wheel but I dont care,vocals aint amazing but im enjoying it for what it is... just a nice solid melodic rock record with its various influences.

I agree.  I've been digging it more and more. 

Agree also on the vocals.  Nothing great and probably a bit rough around the edges but the whole thing together sounds fine to me.  Heck, many of those singers in the 80's weren't great singers lol but the music was melodic and fun to listen to.  That's sort of the vibe I get from this.  

I suspect this will probably fly way under the radar though, especially with many great releases expected this year.  I haven't seen it being heavily reviewed on the various sites I follow and even googling it yields very few review results.  Really haven't heard much promotion on this....Even the band facebook page is pretty quiet.

Either way though, pretty good melodic hard rock with an 80's vibe to it.  

• Like 1

Has a De La Cruz/ Catalano feel to them.

Agree with the above - it's a cool release. As is being alluded to, it's not a belt-the-walls-down classic, but it's a good solid album and a cut above good. I like it. 

Came upon some sad news on this release in doing some research on it and trying to find out more about it.

Found that the vocalist for this passed away in December 2020 shortly after the first single was released.  His name was Jason Witte but he went by penn name J Adler for this project (Adler appears to be his son's name).  Looks like it was cancer that he had been dealing with for some time and it took a turn for the worse.  Very sad....looked to be probably in his 40's or so and he had posted on Facebook in mid December how proud he was of this release.  Damn disease.

No idea what the future will hold for this project but clearly uncertain at the moment if there will be any more releases with a new vocalist.

Freaking bummed as this one has been growing on me quite a bit and would like to hear more in the future.

Edited by tts42572

Haven't seen many reviews at all posted on this album but here's a pretty good review I saw posted over at rockposer.com. 

Sometimes an album just clicks for whatever reason and I this one has definitely hit the spot for me. 

https://rockposer.com/2021/03/11/review-walk-the-walk-walk-the-walk/?fbcli

Here's the text:

Review: Walk The Walk – Walk The Walk

AOR Heaven (March 26th 2021)

Reviewer: Jason Hopper

Oh my Sweet Lord!  Where did this band come from? Walk The Walk comes kicking in the doors of 2021, pushing other possible contenders for Album of the Year out of the way, grabbing the award, and walking defiantly with head held back out of the same entrance.  I was expecting some great stuff from a bunch of established bands this year, but was not expecting this.

So what makes this album so great?  A singer who at times resembles Sebastian Bach, ripping guitars, sign-along anthems, and awesome layered background vocals in every song.  Those background gang vocals are the strongest aspect of this album.  The production makes them pop.  Some may think they are overused, but they are one of my favorite attributes of hard rock (Huge Def Leppard fan here).

Those background vocals instantly stick out in opening track ‘Heaven’s On It’s Way Down‘. Very reminiscent of Winger’s Can’t Get Enough (especially the “Hey Hey” vocals) with a melody similar to the Saints and Sinners track ‘Walk That Walk’, it’s a slow heavy groove that gets the album off to a great start.

Lead single ‘Running From You‘ is a solid track about sticking by the love of your life, with more great harmonies in the chorus and a smokin’ solo from Paul Alfery, who plays all of the instruments on the album and does an incredible job.  While this would be considered an enviable song by most artists in the genre and a worthy single, this is nowhere near the best track on the album.

It’s track three where the comparisons to Sebastian Bach become more clear. ‘Are You There‘, a song that finds itself somewhere between a mid-tempo rocker and a ballad, reveals lead singer J. Adler to have similar capabilities to Mr. Bach when he pushes his vocals in the chorus. He may not be able to scream like Bach, but can sing like him. Also, kudos to saving the guitar solo for the end of the song. Changes in the verse/bridge/chorus/solo paradigm are always welcome.

As good as those first three songs are, the album really takes off with the start of track four.  ‘Two Miles To Go‘ immediately kicks you in the face with it’s take no prisoners rhythm. Yep, it’s a driving song and what a song it is! Those familiar with the Cold Sweat song ‘Four On The Floor’ will get an idea of what this song sounds like. From here on out, it’s one awesome melody after another.

I won’t go on about every single remaining track. I assure you all of them are worthy of listening to, but I will point out my favorite track on the album, ‘Fight On Your Feet‘. If there is one song you should listen to in order to get a grasp of what this album represents, look no further that this pinnacle of melodic rock prominence.

So are there any critiques? Depending on aural tastes, the only possible critique could be the production. While the lead, background vocals, and guitars sound great, the drums could have used a little more punch. Being that a certain label makes all of their releases sonically similar, I welcome differing production techniques so this does not negatively impact the album

I have a certain way of reviewing albums. I listen to each track two or three times and write small reviews of each before moving on to the next one. I eventually listen to the album straight through again as I write my full review. With ‘Walk The Walk‘, by the time I reached track six, I just stopped reviewing and listened to all the tracks one after another, as I was enthusiastic to get to my next adrenaline rush. It’s early into 2021, but this album will surely make my Top 5 of the year, without question. This is a MUST HAVE ALBUM!

7 minutes ago, lettard said:

Dunno about top 5 but it sure is a good album,i'll give it that.

Yeah, too early to say top 5 with all the great releases to come.  Really nice surprise though and I've been spinning it a lot.  

Also was going to post in here that I reached out to Paul Alfery on FB to see if he had plans to try and continue this with a new singer or if it was a one and done affair.  He said he does plan to continue and already has a singer lined up and demos are in the works.  He's hoping to do more songs in the same style as this album.  

So it sounds like we could hear more from this in the future.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

My name is Paul Alfery and I am 1/2 of the Walk The Walk project. Thank you for checking it out and the kind words from many of you. Jason and I did this record to honor the melodic rock we both love. We knew we were not reinventing the wheel. Sadly, just after signing with AOR Heaven in Germany, Jason passed away from Cancer. Such a tragedy as he was a great guy and talented musician. I know he would want me to continue so there will be a second Walk The Walk record. The new singer is Scott Osterloh. Musically it will be similar, vocally a little different obviously. Still shooting for hooks and layered harmony vocals. I'll be sure to post when we finish up the record. And again, thanks to all who checked out the first Walk The Walk release.      

• Like 2