Black Veil Brides - Scarlet Cross

Stefan

I like this band, I like this song.
Many don't.
Not sure why, perhaps they are considered modern rock, or just lame rock, or whatever.
But if this song was released by HEAT, people would be creaming themselves over it.

Possibly the best song I've heard from these guys so far. The riffage and the solo is awesome. Love all that. But that's not really anything new from these guys. Always liked them musically. 

The reason I have never liked them, and the thing I still dislike about this song... it's always been the dude's voice. I just don't like it one single bit. His tone is bored and bland and I've never found an ounce of passion in his delivery, whether he feels it or not. Probably no fault of the guy himself at all, but his voice and the way he sings has prevented me from ever liking this band at all. Plus, generally speaking, I don't think their songs are very good at all, lol. Despite some good music tracks. Bad lyrics, weak hooks. In the modern rock game there are just countless better bands, weekly, in my honest opinion. For me they've never been anywhere near the top, or even mid-range - always a bottom tier band compared to their peers, hence why I've never become attached. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, CureTheSane said:

Here is their best song.
Full of hooks and melody

Again, awesome song... Except for the terrible vocals. :(

On 12/12/2020 at 6:47 PM, Geoff said:

Again, awesome song... Except for the terrible vocals. :(

Yeah, but I would say the same about Lemmy, Ozzy, and a bunch of others.
Even Pearcy, Rose, Keirfer, Tramp and Neil would have taken some getting used to back when I first heard them I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Yeah, but I would say the same about Lemmy, Ozzy, and a bunch of others.
Even Pearcy, Rose, Keirfer, Tramp and Neil would have taken some getting used to back when I first heard them I'm sure.

Yeah, I agree. Lots of dudes have bad voices. But none kill songs (for me) like this dude does. Say what you want about the other guys, but they never sounded bored or disinterested to me. This guy just sounds so monotone and bored with what he's doing. It's not just a bad singing voice that irritates me - a million people say that about the Cauterize dude too, and yeah, he doesn't have a great singing voice. That's not really a make or break for me - I just want to hear someone who sounds like he means it, and to me, this dude doesn't. 

8 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I agree. Lots of dudes have bad voices. But none kill songs (for me) like this dude does. Say what you want about the other guys, but they never sounded bored or disinterested to me. This guy just sounds so monotone and bored with what he's doing. It's not just a bad singing voice that irritates me - a million people say that about the Cauterize dude too, and yeah, he doesn't have a great singing voice. That's not really a make or break for me - I just want to hear someone who sounds like he means it, and to me, this dude doesn't. 

Fair enough, I can see that.
I just accepted it and moved on.
Kind of like learning to accept the chorus of Hide Your Heart.
First listen killed me, so did the next 5 or 6, until I let it ride and went with it.
I like BVB but I can see how some people can't do the vocals.

Kind of like that dude who sung that I Believe In A Thing Called Love or whatever it was. Just couldn't get there with that.

7 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Fair enough, I can see that.
I just accepted it and moved on.
Kind of like learning to accept the chorus of Hide Your Heart.
First listen killed me, so did the next 5 or 6, until I let it ride and went with it.
I like BVB but I can see how some people can't do the vocals.

Kind of like that dude who sung that I Believe In A Thing Called Love or whatever it was. Just couldn't get there with that.

Yeah, The Darkness are horrendous - agree on that. And to an extent, these guys have the same red line through them for me. I actually keep listening to both bands' new releases because there's still those few songs that are kind of cool... but until either/both change lead singers, they just won't be for me. 

As for accepting and moving on, you do know there's a million other bands out there that are actually already awesome and you don't need to accept and move on with them? ;)  

53 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, The Darkness are horrendous - agree on that. And to an extent, these guys have the same red line through them for me. I actually keep listening to both bands' new releases because there's still those few songs that are kind of cool... but until either/both change lead singers, they just won't be for me. 

As for accepting and moving on, you do know there's a million other bands out there that are actually already awesome and you don't need to accept and move on with them? ;)  

Yeah, just a matter of finding them.
A Switchblade Scarlett song came on a mix USB I was playing the other day and it got me interested to see what they have done since I heard their stuff.
So I looked them up. Nothing lol
Same with Sweedish Erotica, on the same mix, great songs, but nothing since 2011 :( Probably gone now.