RAWKON

Delbert

After 30 + years, it's finally here.......I have just finished listening to the new CD from Metallic Blue Records by the Reno, Nevada band RAWKON.  Back in 2004, I received a 6 track demo cassette recorded by RAWKON in 1987 from a  fellow collector in Nevada.  He was extremely excited on finding this tape and wanted to share it with me.   On the first play, it immediately reminded me of another  awesome Nevada band, "ROCK BOULEVARD".   As it turns out, RAWKON consisted of one member of ROCK BOULEVARD and this demo cassette turned out to be extremely rare and sought after.   Fast forward 16 years later to today,  those 6 tracks, along with others recorded at various times of the band's life,  are right here on a silver pressed CD.  There are a total of 13 tracks here with a very nice production and impressive liner notes.   One quick note.....the first 3 tracks have a production that is certainly that of a demo and of lesser quality than the remaining 10 tracks which are excellent, so don't become immediately disappointed .   These first 3 songs are from the band's first demo which were more heavy metal and before they got a keyboard player.   Even though they don’t have the same production as the rest of the album, it’s great to have these songs  to form a more complete discography.   Starting with track 4, it all changes and the production is top notch.  The notes are filled with thorough,  in depth info on the band, it's history and with numerous photos.   Certainly a high quality, collector minded release.   Musically, there's something here to satisfy a wide variety of musical tastes.   Grinding rockers with good axe work,  some mid tempo melodic songs with nice keys, melodic melodies and some extremely smooth AOR ballads that will delight the AOR-sters a great deal!  If you enjoy bands such as ROCK BOULEVARD, THEATRE, FLYWEIL or DOKKEN, you will surely enjoy all 13 tracks that RAWKON has to offer.  My hat's off to Metallic Blue Records for bringing us this rare glimpse of melodic rock history......

Rawkon.JPG

Edited by Delbert

• My Little Pony

Cool. Thanks for the write-up. I'm glad I didn't purchase the Rock Boulevard discs when I said I would, 'cause now I'll just grab all three.