Art of Illusion (Säfsund/Rydholm) - X Marks The Spot

Stefan

On 2/1/2021 at 10:51 AM, Tabe said:

Kinda hit or miss on this one for me. There's some songs that sound like showtunes that I did not like at all. Others are like great Art Nation songs and are really good. Overall disappointing because I find it a little inconsistent. 

This is where I'm at too. Missed the pre-release hype for this and just heard it blind and I can't say I was blown away. I thought it had a decent sound, bar all the unnecessary odd bits. I thought I was going to pass on the whole thing but they did manage to squeeze in 'Catch You If I Can' and 'Rampant Wildfire' near the end, which were the two highlights for me. Kind of reminds me a bit of Care Of Night.

Anyway, like I say, cool vibe, kinda like Art Nation... but just lacking a bit in great songs for me. Stuff like 'Wild and Free' and '4AM' isn't far off the mark at all, though, to be honest. Good album... just not killer, for me. 

17 hours ago, Geoff said:

This is where I'm at too. Missed the pre-release hype for this and just heard it blind and I can't say I was blown away. I thought it had a decent sound, bar all the unnecessary odd bits. I thought I was going to pass on the whole thing but they did manage to squeeze in 'Catch You If I Can' and 'Rampant Wildfire' near the end, which were the two highlights for me. Kind of reminds me a bit of Care Of Night.

Anyway, like I say, cool vibe, kinda like Art Nation... but just lacking a bit in great songs for me. Stuff like 'Wild and Free' and '4AM' isn't far off the mark at all, though, to be honest. Good album... just not killer, for me. 

I haven't listened to Care of Night in a little while but I remember liking their album more than this one.  This album isn't bad, just could've been more.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I haven't listened to Care of Night in a little while but I remember liking their album more than this one.  This album isn't bad, just could've been more.

Oh yeah, I prefer the Care of night album tenfold. Both of them. Killer band. I just thought there was a similarity in style in the better songs on this album. 

• Like 1

For some reason I never could get into bands with Säfsund: Work of Art, Lionville. I tried to listen to some songs but it does nothing for me. But I am not against keyboard AOR, I love Toto and Joseph Williams solo stuff.  I am aware of Grand Illusion, not a big fan but I listened to full albums. So after few listens to this project I will return to it, I like it better than Säfsund other bands.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm finally getting around to this one in earnest and it's pretty good. Not as amazing as the first couple of songs led me to believe it would be but the sound is overall very clean and tight while the songwriting is varied enough to keep it interesting. As far as Safsund projects go I would put it in between Work of Art and Lionville; not as consistently strong as the former but more exciting and fresher than the latter. 

I could definitely see this album growing on me though. I do enjoy the proggy side of it, it makes things seem much less formulaic than most contemporary AOR.

• 3 weeks later...