Vaccine. Yes or no?

Darkstone

2 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Yes once it has proven effective and been tested by all the people who will be first in line....I figure 3-6 months after the vaccinations start....

how do you know it's effective? 

it's 95% effective.

you could still be one of the ones it doesn't work for.

also every drug has side effects for some - read an ibuprofen instructions - you can basically catch every disease known as a result of taking it.

it's simple really - just take the vaccine and continue to respect others by wearing a mask until this thing dies down 

8 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Yes once it has proven effective and been tested by all the people who will be first in line....I figure 3-6 months after the vaccinations start....

This 100%. I don't trust anything that has been rushed through and bypassed/shortened normal testing/vetting protocols. Some side effects may take months or longer to manifest themselves, or may only conflict with medications or co-conditions not present in the trial sample populations.

6 months after widespread distribution I'll consider it.

Then again, it may be that we don't have any choice in the matter. I can easily see under a Biden administration, as control-mongering as it will be, that being stopped in public and not having a valid "National COVID Vaccination Card" being grounds for fines and/or house arrest.

More likely though it would just be an extension of what we have now where you need to be wearing a mask to gain entry to public spaces, and you'll have to show said vaccination card or be denied entry.

And these sorts of tit for tats are why most forums ban all political discussion. Invariably someone (or multiple someones) gets pissed off and it bleeds into other areas/aspects of the community.

I'm willing to take a vaccine that is 95% effective but as Dan pointed out, these vaccines have been rushed so they will have to earn my trust by being in use for some months without serious side effects before I take a chance on them....

No one should be forced to take a vaccine as I firmly believe in individual freedom.....however if you are entering an enclosed place where the virus is more easily spread then you should have to wear a mask and socially distance by LAW to ensure the safety of others....if that is an issue then don't enter.....and yes they could force you to show proof of vaccination before you would be allowed inside enclosed areas and that would be acceptable also after the vaccines are proven safe for at least 6 months....

The other aspect that I forgot to mention is that it's not a "one size fits all" issue. How risky a vaccine is will depend on your personal medical history and current medical conditions that might complicate the decision.

Depending on the side effects of the vaccine, for you the cure might be worse than the disease.

It's not cut and dried.

I should be for the vaccine. I really want to be able to trust it and generally I'm very pro vaccines. Problem is the money involved is huge and there's national prestige in the mix as well. When you see day on day news coming in with each vaccine claiming 1 or 2 percent better efficacy and then look at the sample sizes it doesn't leave me feeling super comfortable we're doing full due diligence.

I really hope my fears are unfounded and I suspect by the time I'd be likely to get it there will be a lot more data in to allay my fears. 

So right now I sit firmly on the fence. 

I wouldn't touch the Russian one with a barge pole though.  

NO

• My Little Pony

Probably not. I never get any of the recommended vaccines. Ever. If it's free, I'll wait to see the side effects that develope over the months. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
38 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Probably not. I never get any of the recommended vaccines. Ever. If it's free, I'll wait to see the side effects that develope over the months. 

That's what the women who took Thalidomide said. Luckily for my Aunt, my Grandmother declined her doctor's suggestion to take it for morning sickness back in the day. 

I have confidence that tests will be thorough enough.
I'd take it happily.

As someone said, some vaccines will be better for some, and otehr vacines for other people.

can't force people to take it, can't even force people to be tested.
But if you wanna travel, you'll need to prove you've had it.
Wanna use daycare, or send your kids to school? same thing
Etc

You're liely gonna have to get it regardless.
Those who decide to wait until enough have been vaccinated to pretty much eliminate covid will only suffer in other ways....

I'd have no problem taking them.

This disease can be nasty.  Just because people survive it doesn't mean they aren't having issues.  I know a couple people personally that had it and are having issues weeks after being cleared.  One guy is in his 20's ,in great shape with no prior problems and says he just has much shorter breath and it hurts a bit to take deep breaths.

Yeah, 99% of people recover.  But those statistics say nothing about after effects of this like the person I mentioned.

I'd take my chances with the vaccine that people way smarter than me have developed.  I've read a lot about them and guess I don't feel they'd be all that risky with the way they're operating.  I'm so tired of this crap that I want my life feeling normal again so sign me up so I can stop worrying about it.

Basically, your choice is eventually get the virus or just take the vaccine....Take your pick.

I won't e surprised if it gets to the point where you're going to have to prove you've been vaccinated to do some things like travel, enter entertainment events, go to concerts, etc.  I enjoy doing those things so hit me with whatever they've got.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Meh.
may as well fight against enforcement of seat belts, or not being allowed to carry guns.
Sometimes people have to be ordered to do what is known to be safe to protect themselves and others.

Not looking for a debate into guns or the effectiveness /consequences of vaccines.
Simply, IMO, there is a vast greater good for accepting them compared to the rare complications.
covid vaccine is the same, tried and tested, safe, and I'm happy if people are obligated to get it to go about their normal lives.

52 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Meh.
may as well fight against enforcement of seat belts, or not being allowed to carry guns.
Sometimes people have to be ordered to do what is known to be safe to protect themselves and others.

Not looking for a debate into guns or the effectiveness /consequences of vaccines.
Simply, IMO, there is a vast greater good for accepting them compared to the rare complications.
covid vaccine is the same, tried and tested, safe, and I'm happy if people are obligated to get it to go about their normal lives.

A Million More - YouTube