Jump to content

Glam/hair lovers...say something nice about grunge


kawshy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I did think about posting this in one of the glam/hair sections, but thought I'd put it in this section.

I have noticed that glam/hair band lovers everywhere seem to talk about grunge as if it's the worst thing that ever happened in their lifetime, and basically, they think Kurt Cobain was a more evil person than Hitler, and bands like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains have no talent.

Anyways, as one who was raised to say nothing if you can't think of anything nice to say, in this thread, all glam/hair band fanatics we will say AT LEAST ONE nice thing about grunge. It can be about one individual band, one particular album, the genre as a whole, just as long as it's not negative.

P.S. Please don't reply with "It's not quite as bad as rap", "I hate it less than country", etc. Basically, if there's one genre you hate more, you can't have the nice thing you say about grunge be that you hate it less than whatever genre you hate more.

Edited by kawshy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • kawshy changed the title to Glam/hair lovers...say something nice about grunge
12 hours ago, Darkstone said:

IMO, there's no denying the Greatness of "Nevermind".

Yeah, Nevermind rocks and I don't have any problem with Nirvana in general. Though they weren't the typical grunge band imo. More like some alternative/indie/punk something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors

Strangely, I've never really thought of "Soundgarden" as Grunge.

"Alice in Chains" (I wish my surname was Chains, so I could name my Daughter "Allison", BTW.) definitely have their moments. 

"We Die Young" is one of my favourite tracks ever. "Stone Sour" do a great version.

I've never cared for "Pearl Jam". It would be a great name for a Sleaze band however.

 

 

Edited by Darkstone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Strangely, I've never really thought of "Soundgarden" as Grunge.

 


Lots and lots of classic rock influences in there like Sabbath. 

There are two videos I remember seeing for the first time on MTV and then sitting and watching time and time again on tape. Guns and Roses - Welcome to the jungle and Soundgarden - Hands all over. To this day two songs I can still play on loop all day and not get bored. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My Little Pony
12 hours ago, kawshy said:

I knew someone would give a response along those lines...

I don't hate Grunge, but just like Cuntry, I love to hate on it. ;}

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors

There's some great "Grunge" out there. Back in the day it was more the culture shock rather than the music that was the issue.

The all round "vibe" of Grunge was just a polar opposite of what we grew up with.

I've always thought that this track summed it up perfectly. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dying inside a blender would be a little worse than listening to grunge.

I'd rather listen to a Nirvana record than hear another covid-19 update. 

I'd rather listen to a grunge song (not album) than pry an eyeball from my face with a spoon. 

Trancecore is a worse form of music than grunge. Any of that hard dance stuff is probably worse than grunge (sadly that's about where the list ends). 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My Little Pony
18 hours ago, Geoff said:

Dying inside a blender would be a little worse than listening to grunge.

I'd rather listen to a Nirvana record than hear another covid-19 update. 

I'd rather listen to a grunge song (not album) than pry an eyeball from my face with a spoon. 

Trancecore is a worse form of music than grunge. Any of that hard dance stuff is probably worse than grunge (sadly that's about where the list ends). 

 

You get me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said it before, but "grunge" doesn't have anything to do with music. It was a term made up by ad executives to sell $50 flannels and Doc Martins.

 

As for love or hate it, like any genre there are good examples (Soundgarden, AIC, STP, Pearl Jam (10 only), Gish by the Smashing Pumpkins and maybe a few others. But then it like glam got oversaturated/cloned and ran its course.

Lastly, if Warrant sang this song in 1987 you all would have shit your paints.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors
59 minutes ago, martinsane said:

I've said it before, but "grunge" doesn't have anything to do with music. It was a term made up by ad executives to sell $50 flannels and Doc Martins.

 

As for love or hate it, like any genre there are good examples (Soundgarden, AIC, STP, Pearl Jam (10 only), Gish by the Smashing Pumpkins and maybe a few others. But then it like glam got oversaturated/cloned and ran its course.

Lastly, if Warrant sang this song in 1987 you all would have shit your paints.

 

Exactly! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, martinsane said:

Lastly, if Warrant sang this song in 1987 you all would have shit your paints.

 

As in we'd have shit out pants because Warrant was such a horrible band and we'd never listen to them again? ;) Seriously though, that is a rubbish song to these ears. :(

You know what, I did actually think of one nice comment I can make about grunge. 

I always like to clarify that I was not born and raised in time to listen to music through the 80's and be on a high after having followed hair metal all my life and when grunge came along I blamed it for killing hair metal. Just want to clarify, that is not me at all. Sure, I listened to cool tunes in the 80's, as a small kid, but I wasn't a diehard fan or anything... I was too young for that.  

I was born in 1979 so I was just getting into music properly, in my teens, when grunge hit. So I didn't know it was replacing hair metal and/or potentially damaging the scene or anything. I just knew it was horrendous music and the last thing I was going to do was listen to it. So, because I found grunge to be so horrendous and it was the "it" music of the day when I was discovering music properly, it actually forced me to look elsewhere and I can more or less credit it's badness for directing me towards "hair metal." If grunge hadn't been so terrible, who knows? I may have just sat there and listened to it and known no better. 

So, thank you grunge, for being so fucking terrible - in my opinion - that you made me discover "hair metal." :)

I'm very good at this thread.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My Little Pony

My story is sorta similar to Geoff's.

I first started listening to Melodic Rock in the early 90s. I was 4 or 5. Around that time my family also started listening to Cuntry, which someone here mentioned is similar, and I would say that's accurate. So when I heard Grunge it did not agree with me. 

By all accounts it should be my thing. I grew up in the 90s after all. But because of those very early years listening to 80s Rock, I can't stand most 90s music. It's been a lifetime of not being able to identify with people my age. Haha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

My story is sorta similar to Geoff's.

I first started listening to Melodic Rock in the early 90s. I was 4 or 5. Around that time my family also started listening to Cuntry, which someone here mentioned is similar, and I would say that's accurate. So when I heard Grunge it did not agree with me. 

By all accounts it should be my thing. I grew up in the 90s after all. But because of those very early years listening to 80s Rock, I can't stand most 90s music. It's been a lifetime of not being able to identify with people my age. Haha. 

Yeah, everyone I know listened to either just pop, or it was all that grunge stuff and/or those punk bands that were equally huge in the day - Lagwagon, Millencollen, Frenzal Rhomb, Pennywise etc. And amazingly, all that shit I find every bit as dreadful as grunge. But that's what all my brothers and friends and peers listened to back in the day. Again, I thank both for being so horrendous so I was able to sniff out the good shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.