Hang head in shame. I didn't know that was a cover.

PeterS

Pretty sure we've all done it. Come across songs that we thought were original to years later hear the original. 

Today's was embarrassing. The Struts have a cover of Kiss's 'Do you love me' on their new album . Now in my defense I've never been a kiss fan but I have gone for 30 years thinking Girl did the original! 

I did the same with Tesla and Signs. I was driving along the I95 outside Wilmington and the the Five Man Electric Band version came on the radio. Confused I was as it sounded a lot older than the one I thought was the original. Only 25 years of getting that wrong. 

Some come on , what other songs have others thought were original to come across the real original years later. I love rock and roll seems to get many in the music quiz I attend. 

Knew the Gloria Jones one,but wasn't aware of that Robert Hazard release,suppose i'd always assumed it was by by Cyndi and maybe  even worse thinking that she wrote it especially for the movie of the same name :unsure:

A recent one......

I thought Gotthard's version was original. I never knew ABBA did the song "S.O.S." 

I was in the grocery store and they played Abba's version and I was like "Doh!".

I knew it kinda sounded familiar but had no clue.

• Haha 1

• My Little Pony

I was playing "Hard to Handle" the other night, and my buddy was like, "Wait, this isn't the Black Crowes. Who is this?" 

I told him it was King Floyd, but it's actually an Otis Redding song. He then was legitimately perturbed that the Black Crowes' biggest hit wasn't even their own song. 

I was like, "You realise that's the case for a lot of artists."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea the version I'm familiar with was a cover. My head is well and truly hanging in shame.  

Edited by Darkstone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

This one isn't a cover, but I'm still hanging my head in shame.

I, along with most of you are quite familiar with this song, but it wasn't until I saw this video recently that I realized THE "Vinnie Vincent" was Lead Guitarist.  

Dan Hartman, of course, went on to release the classic "I Can Dream About You".