Classic Canadian television

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

We have a television station down here called the "ABC" (Australian Broadcasting Corporation". They've always had a lot of English and Canadian content. Maybe not so much Canadian these days, but when I was younger there was quite a lot of stuff from Canada that I used to watch after school. Here's a list of TV shows that I have fond memories of and I was wondering if my Canadian friends could tell me how popular they were in Canada.  

The Beachcombers

Degrassi Junior High

Wayne & Shuster

The Edison Twins

You Can't Do That On Television (yes, I know about Alanis Morissette)

The Littlest Hobo

Bizarre (Super Dave is great, but he wasn't the first. Australia has Leo Wanker). 

• My Little Pony

I'm not as old as @zacharyamelieor @Dead Planetor, is @shamus Canadian?, so I'm not familiar with all of these. But Beachcombers, Degrassi (all the different incarnations), and Littlest Hobo I know of even though I've never watched any of them. But you should also look into:

Corner Gas

Kids in the Hall

The Red Green Show

The Trailer Park Boys

And the newest show which I have no doubt will reach the realm of "classic" is Letterkenny. I think most folk here would enjoy it. I'm currently going through all eight series again. So funny. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
29 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm not as old as @zacharyamelieor @Dead Planetor, is @shamus Canadian?, so I'm not familiar with all of these. But Beachcombers, Degrassi (all the different incarnations), and Littlest Hobo I know of even though I've never watched any of them. But you should also look into:

Corner Gas

Kids in the Hall

The Red Green Show

The Trailer Park Boys

And the newest show which I have no doubt will reach the realm of "classic" is Letterkenny. I think most folk here would enjoy it. I'm currently going through all eight series again. So funny. 

Yep, familiar with The Red Green Show and I loved the "Kids In The Hall". I always thought that Kevin McDonald was one of the most underrated comedians of his time. 

I’m a mega fan of Kids In The Hall.

I’ve never watched Letterkenny but my 18 year loves it. It’s the only reason we have Crave TV. Most of the locations are filmed in Northern Ontario near my in-laws and a buddy of mine was an extra on the cast last season. 

Another Canadian hit that everyone knows after sweeping the Emmy’s is Schitt’s Creek. Eugene Levy and Catharine O’Hara are icons. 

Speaking of those two...SCTV was a classic in the late 70’s early 80’s. With John Candy, Martin Short, Levy, O’Hara, Rick Moranis, Andrea Martin, Dave Thomas, Harold Ramis, Joe Flaherty and more. 

Edited by zacharyamelie

I suspect zac and I are roughly the same age and yea, Im proud to be Canadian.

I remember every show Darkstone references fondly 'cept the Beachcombers. Hated it as a kid. Most of my friends had American cable but my best friend and I had what was mocked as Canadian cable; 3 channels CBC, CTV, CKND and a French version of CBC so we endured some pretty weak programming.

While everyone was wolfing down their sugar cereal in front of Saturday morning cartoons we were watching:

The Mighty Hercules, Rocket Robin Hood, The New Adventures of Pinocchio and Tales of the Wizard of Oz. Search those out on Youtube and prepare yourself for a drug free acid trip.

I never watched much tv at all when I was younger but there are a few Canadian shows that I remember....most of them newer shows.....

Beachcomers

Andromeda

Bizarre

Continuum

Da Vinci's Inquest

Dark Matter

Forever Knight

Killjoys

Lexx

Lost Girl

The Red Green Show

Republic of Doyle

Sanctuary

Starlost

The Wayne and Shuster Show

Hudson & Rex is the only fictional show that I watch these days......

• My Little Pony
8 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

Speaking of those two...SCTV was a classic in the late 70’s early 80’s. With John Candy, Martin Short, Levy, O’Hara, Rick Moranis, Andrea Martin, Dave Thomas, Harold Ramis, Joe Flaherty and more. 

Dunno why I've never watched SCTV. I should def correct that. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
9 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

I’m a mega fan of Kids In The Hall.

I’ve never watched Letterkenny but my 18 year loves it. It’s the only reason we have Crave TV. Most of the locations are filmed in Northern Ontario near my in-laws and a buddy of mine was an extra on the cast last season. 

Another Canadian hit that everyone knows after sweeping the Emmy’s is Schitt’s Creek. Eugene Levy and Catharine O’Hara are icons. 

Yeah, we used to get SCTV reruns on cable down here in the early 90s. Classic.