Catherine Wheel

Leykis101

I know I'm really stretching it out on this one, but the other day I caught the end of A video for a song that I absolutely thought was one of the most killer fucking songs of it's genre, I even put it in many of my AOR and rock playlists, though it was clearly Alt + Modern Rock, it never pretends to be anything else, but something about this song, even back in Junior High, set itself apart from all the other garbage of the same genre that was swallowing us in massive droves back around 93 to 95, I thought this song was not only so much different  then the rest of the genre, but it went a step beyond, and was actually a good song, if you could look past the obvious Alt and modern influences, it's a song that gets stuck in my head all the fucking time, a song shrouded in mystery, as I to this day have never figured out what the lyrics are completely about, I love this fucking song, and I got real curious how my metal and AOR brethren felt about and towards this completely fucking catchy and awesome song??? of course the song is Black Metallic. it is if not anything else, an awesome fucking borderline pop song.

13 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Video is "not available in my country". What's the name of the song?

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic

An interesting side note, Rob Dickinson is Bruces 1st cousin. just for anyone who gives a fuck

• 2023 Gold Donors
42 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

An interesting side note, Rob Dickinson is Bruces 1st cousin. just for anyone who gives a fuck

Actually, that is very interesting. The "Catherine Wheel" was a medieval torture device, as was the "Iron Maiden". 

• Like 1

Damn, way to be on point, I knew both were breaking or torturing devices, and never once saw the nexus there, killer catch on that one bro.

• Thanks 1

Saw this band at a show in the pacific NW called "Endfest". It was an all day sucker/festival put on by the local alt radio station KNDD 107.7 The End, the year was 1995.

Along with the wheel, who were pretty solid and they had a few spinners on the radio at the time so they were well received, a number of bands played on 2 stages, main and side.

Bush headlined. Korn played on the side stage as they were not yet huge. Everclear, Better Than Ezra (one of the best of the bands by far, so fucking talented), Supersuckers, Gin Blossoms, Mary Lou Lord, Face to Face, The Violent Femmes, James, Presidents of the United States of America, No Doubt, Throwing Muses, The Damnbuilders, Hagfish and Super Deluxe. (There ma be a few others that are lost to the annals of time).

Besides Better than Ezra, The Gin Blossoms (another fave who I have seen 3 times) and Face to Face were bad ass. There song Make Some Sense To Me of the Big Choice album is still a fave. Of course Everclear were just getting traction with their Heroin Girl track and of course being from Portland made them pretty well known even before they to imploded. TPUSA were not quite infamous yet either but Lump was in heavy rotation in Seattle at the time so they were riding the wave. Hagfish is a great band too if your not familiar.

Great looong day of tunnage and a son of bitch of a drive but worth it.

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 minutes ago, martinsane said:

Saw this band at a show in the pacific NW called "Endfest". It was an all day sucker/festival put on by the local alt radio station KNDD 107.7 The End, the year was 1995.

Along with the wheel, who were pretty solid and they had a few spinners on the radio at the time so they were well received, a number of bands played on 2 stages, main and side.

Bush headlined. Korn played on the side stage as they were not yet huge. Everclear, Better Than Ezra (one of the best of the bands by far, so fucking talented), Supersuckers, Gin Blossoms, Mary Lou Lord, Face to Face, The Violent Femmes, James, Presidents of the United States of America, No Doubt, Throwing Muses, The Damnbuilders, Hagfish and Super Deluxe. (There ma be a few others that are lost to the annals of time).

Besides Better than Ezra, The Gin Blossoms (another fave who I have seen 3 times) and Face to Face were bad ass. There song Make Some Sense To Me of the Big Choice album is still a fave. Of course Everclear were just getting traction with their Heroin Girl track and of course being from Portland made them pretty well known even before they to imploded. TPUSA were not quite infamous yet either but Lump was in heavy rotation in Seattle at the time so they were riding the wave. Hagfish is a great band too if your not familiar.

Great looong day of tunnage and a son of bitch of a drive but worth it.

Epic day mate. I've always liked "The Gin Blossoms" also.

"No Doubt" and "TPUSA" were always good value.

10 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Epic day mate. I've always liked "The Gin Blossoms" also.

"No Doubt" and "TPUSA" were always good value.

Yea the Blossoms, obviously were a little southern fried and incredibly pop oriented but boy what talent and song craftsmanship.

At that time No Doubt was nobody. The Just a Girl track was just getting heavy radio play however and obviously a year later they were a household name.

I still am floored by Better Than Ezra. Again a certified pop rock band, but boy could they play. I still remember them doing a cover Aretha Franklins Natural Woman and it was insane. They were also one of the few bands that milled about with the masses, as again they were little known at the time with just the one notable tune Good and it was nice seeing them, chatting them up and seeing their respective glee in seeing the other bands and of course being recognized. I'd imagine a bigger crowd than most had seen prior to that point.

Hey Terry, I was curious, how was B.T.E. live? were they any good? axing for a friend

2 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Hey Terry, I was curious, how was B.T.E. live? were they any good? axing for a friend

Yes they were quite good. I personally loved them. Incredibly tight, energetic, played the dickens out of their respective instruments and had what looked like a hell of a time doing so. Hell the set still resonates 25 years later and as I mentioned earlier the Natural Woman inclusion was so random but so cool. I totally dig/dug Kevin's voice, very unique and teh rest of the band was so tight as well, smh.

As I ruminate they more and more remind me of another band no one likes and should have been bigger is TPOH (The Pursuit of Happiness). Maybe a little Ruth Ruth too. Another in the ilk of uber talented bands that no one cared about and should have and talk about distinct voices, Chris Kennedy, forget about it and these guys too were a 3 piece, hmmm.

Here is an old Letterman clip from around that time:

Sorry Terry I was being a smart ass, you kept commenting on how good BTE was live, so I axed you again, truth is, I know your not lying or exaggerating, because I too saw them in 96 with Tonic, Sponge, and Our Lady Peace, BTE were extremely surprising, as they took to the stage and the guitarist opened with a fucking huge solo, I never saw it coming out of that Alpha Gama Ray fraternity looking dude, blew me away, but I gotta say, after that night, I went from having only heard of them, to being a lifelong Sponge fan, they were mind blowing, and their discs do them no justice to their live act.