Compilations

Jacob M.

In front of me is a compilation CD I purchased a long time ago. It's called Ten Of A Kind Presented By CMJ Entertainment from 1988. Most of the stuff on here doesn't seem to fit with Heavy Harmonies. There are a couple of tracks that I'm sure most of you could appreciate. Lablanc- Turn To Me. Which is pure AOR. Kid Crash- Contact. Which has a sleazy vibe. The Raging Fire track The Marrying Kind was enough for me to eventually track down a CD. I bought an alternative CD. Imagine that. It was a bit of a let down. The most interesting aspect is that none of these bands seem to have gone anywhere or done anything. I would like to hear more Lablanc and Kid Crash.

Track listing:
Gunbunnies- The Emancipation Of Helga
Titanics- Clown Down
Lazy Susan- Faith Has Another
Raging Fire- The Marrying Kind
Lablanc- Turn To Me
Kid Crash- Contact
Circle Sky- When the Life That I Lead Doesn't Lead Anywhere
Material Issue- Valerie Loves Me
The Distance- King's & Queen's
Paul K. & The Weathermen- My Knife

Anyone else have any interesting compilations in their collection?

• 2023 Gold Donors

One compilation that I don't have anymore is "Metal Edge Presents the Best of L.A. ". I've been searching for a track off that album for years with no success. "Zen Boy -  Nothin' From the Mojo". It's been so long since I've heard that song that I can't remember anything about it. I just remember that I loved it.

BTW Jacob, the first track on that album is "Tuff - Another Man's Gun".

Great track.

Edited by Darkstone

12 hours ago, Darkstone said:

One compilation that I don't have anymore is "Metal Edge Presents the Best of L.A. ". I've been searching for a track off that album for years with no success. "Zen Boy -  Nothin' From the Mojo". It's been so long since I've heard that song that I can't remember anything about it. I just remember that I loved it.

BTW Jacob, the first track on that album is "Tuff - Another Man's Gun".

Great track.

There is also Crying, who didn't anything else after this album. I am a fan of Shake the Faith after hearing them on this, so went out to buy their album.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Well fuck me! I thought i'd checkout youtube again for the Zen Boy track and someone posted it recently! First time I've heard it in over 20 years.

I still love it. It's a very cool track.

Now all I need to do is find out who the vocalist is.

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Well fuck me! I thought i'd checkout youtube again for the Zen Boy track and someone posted it recently! First time I've heard it in over 20 years.

I still love it. It's a very cool track.

Now all I need to do is find out who the vocalist is.

Good song...did they put out a full release?

• 2023 Gold Donors
10 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Good song...did they put out a full release?

It doesn't look like it. Just the 3 track demo. I'd love to hunt down those other 2 tracks.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2 weeks later...

https://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=236&CDName=Hollywood+Hairspray,+Vol.+5

This is another compilation I think deserves a closer look. The track Hold On to Your Dreams Tonight appears to only be on this compilation. From the band Gun Shy. It appears to be the same band that released After Dark. Such a monster track. In my opinion it is way better than anything on After Dark. Yet it remains largely forgotten. More people need to hear this track.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably the last compilation I'll mention. Street Heroes 1992 on Wolfe Records.

1. Crash'n Hollywood- Network
2. Can't Stop- D.V.S.
3. Mechanikill- Machine
4. I Want to Tell Her- Hipshot
5. Back to Me- Faces In The Crowd
6. Run for Shelter- Witchunt
7. Dreams- Amsterdam
8. Easy Come Easy Go- Midnight Hero
9. Wings on the Prayer- Bittersweet
10. Set Me Free- Steel Justice
11. Howard Stern Song- Jim Adimaro
12. Never Be Lonely- Jim Adimaro
13. You'll Come Running- Jim Adimaro

More artists I can't really find much information on. The only band I can confirm has a release is Network. They are definitely AOR. There is a D.V.S. on this site, but no way to confirm if it's the same band. Can't Stop is a really good track. Machine is in the realm of thrash. Hipshot has a familiar sound. I can't place it though. Solid hard rock. Faces In The Crowd has a female vocalist. It's hard to describe the sound. Maybe Cyndi Lauper? Witchunt has a sleazier sound and then it drifts into thrashier territory. Amsterdam has an AOR sound? Is this the same band as the Amsterdam with Ronnie Borchert? Midnight Hero has a sleazy sound. The same band that's on Retrospect Records? Safe to say this isn't the same BitterSweet as on Retrospect Records. This band has a female vocalist. Steel Justice also has a familiar sound that I can't place. Jim Adimaro is an oddity. With that name I didn't not expect a female vocalist.

Not a bad collection of songs.

• My Little Pony
On 9/24/2020 at 2:16 PM, Jacob M. said:

Speaking of Rick Springfield. YouTube played this as a commercial recently. A sequel I'm not sure we need.

Yeah, I didn't make it through the whole song.