What websites did you go to a ton in the past but not anymore?

AlphaMale

Several for me. 

BaltimoreSun.com......After they took out the forums where I was moderator, I stopped going

MelodicRock.com....... The content just started to be non-existent. Especially the reviews....... sometimes years before an update. And the constant design changes. Now it's down to a twitter feed. I hate Twitter and tweeting. 

SleazeRoxx....... When Skid left, I just totally lost interest. I do check out their reviews from time to time.

ESPN.com....... Hate them with a passion. Their website sucks donkey nuts as does SportsCenter. Unless there is a college football game on, ESPN never on my TV.

Metal Archives....... It's a pain in the ass to submit bands. They literally reject everything no matter how much info/photos/demos you have. Very lame.

0dayroxx........ Used to sample a lot of releases here but they have a lot of viruses/malware in their links.

eBay...... There was a time I was hooked on eBay but they are a expensive fee laden mess. 

Edited by AlphaMale

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

eBay...... There was a time I was hooked on eBay but they are a expensive fee laden mess. 

Yeah, I used to browse it multiple times a day. 

Remember eBaumsWorld? When I was in highschool, that was the site. 

28 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yeah, I used to browse it multiple times a day. 

Remember eBaumsWorld? When I was in highschool, that was the site. 

It surprisingly still exists. 

On 8/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, AlphaMale said:

MelodicRock.com....... The content just started to be non-existent. Especially the reviews....... sometimes years before an update. And the constant design changes. Now it's down to a twitter feed. I hate Twitter and tweeting. 

SleazeRoxx....... When Skid left, I just totally lost interest. I do check out their reviews from time to time.

Along with HH, those two were some of my go to sites years ago when it came to getting info on bands, trading, and downloading rare songs/albums. I still go to them but not as often.  But like with many sites costs and time involved to manage makes it hard to sustain long term.  Glorydazemusic was another site I frequented but haven't in awhile.  I also used to check out a site called heavymetalrarities.com for downloads of rare songs/albums, but there were fewer and fewer people sharing content as time went on.

I would check out sites like ioffer and sell.com to buy bootleg concert videos or recorded Headbangers Ball episodes.  But now you can find alot of that sort of thing free on YT.

And being an avid fantasy football participant for many years I used to check out a variety of sites, like Rotoworld, for insight on drafting and adding players during the season.  But now most of those sites charge for any real information or all carry the same player news with minimal quality insight.

• Thanks 1

odayroxx is an illegal site which has caused a lot of brief over the years for labels & artists. However there is no denying it's a good source to check for new releases. With the advent of streaming services illegal downloading has become a thing of the past though. Music is so freely available to the vast majority for a small monthly outlay. 

I too used to be a regular on Melodic Rock, but now I only visit once or twice a month for a browse through the noticeboard  - I never post though, some of the guys there are nobs imo and have some v strange views on the genre. Most releases I love get panned as generic so it's v difficult to want to get involved in any thread. I'll be interested to see what Andrew does with the site but I hear it's going to be mainly reviews which are kind of redundant now as stated above (given streaming etc and the ability to check out anything for yourself) and with so much content on Facebook. 

Nowadays it's pretty much FB and HH for me 

• Like 1

I've never been big on forum sites.

Metal Edge was great, but then it ended.
A bunch of people left and Metal Exiles was born, but then that kinda died.
So I went to Sleaze Roxx. No big deal when skid moved on as he wasn't all that active, but soon after that they shut down the forum (without much warning - pricks)
Every now and then I clicked on Melodic Rock but they always were either fanboying bands, or leaning too heavily away from what I liked so I never really took much interest.
Anyway, this is the only music forum I go to now.
Outside of musci I was in a Swans forum (football) for a long time, but they pissed me off so I left a couple of years ago.

As for just music info, I pretty much use Google.
I'll click on Loudwire every couple of weeks to see if I;ve missed any new music https://loudwire.com/2020-hard-rock-metal-album-release-calendar/
But mostly I find out about the new music I want here, which I the main reason I am here :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

Backed on Metal Archives...a good resource but they are completely clueless.

I have zero use for FB,Twitter,Instagram or any of that social media nonsense.Those who like it-good for you!

Heavy Harmonies...…….j/k

Never done Twitter or Instagram. Kids have a family Snapchat group, but I don't really see the point. No different to a messenger group.
I've seen my kids use TikTok and it's pretty fucking stupid as well.
Iuse Facebook for a range of reasons, mainly to keep in touch with people, especially friends overseas or interstate.

• 2023 Gold Donors

It's all HH for me really. There's a site called Rockreport that I use for any new releases I may have missed. I used to visit the MelodicRock "release dates" page quite regularly, but it doesn’t seem to have been updated for ages. The "rateyourmusic" site has a member by the name of "Huskerchief21". He has some sensational lists that i've found very valuable. There's also a site called "Mp3million" that I use to fill in the gaps that youtube can't provide. That's pretty much the extent of my internet music routine.

• 1 month later...

Some already mentioned, Glorydaze, Spirit of Metal (use to contribute a lot here, but it went south a few years ago, there are occasional pushes to get it started again, but its not the same, Encyclopedia Metallum (wankers).

I still contribute to Sleaszeroxx, not as much as I would like to, so go read my reviews only, LOL. I miss the forum, Olivier didn't like that aspect much and when Skid bowed out he killed it. I am sure it would be supremely shit (ty) now anyway. Not a fan in the least of all the regurgitated retro reviews of Bark at the Moon and the like. Those albums have had their 2.4 million minutes in the sun, I am more into new bands that need the help not the old ones that are done and re-reviewing the long dead album has no point, other than clickbait.

Freeones. Any better places for fap worthy images are greatly appreciated...