Beirut Explosion

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! 

I'm sure you've all seen this by now, but what in the name of God could've caused this!? As far as explosions go, this is probably the biggest I've ever seen footage of. It rivals all the nuclear shit I've seen from the past. 2020, the year that keeps on giving and where only half way through it FFS.

Said at the time it was far too big to be terrorist acttivity.
They don't haave access to that type of power.
Trump said something linking terrorism, but that was likely just because he could lol
Looks like it's incorrect storage of volatile chemicals & substances.

All sorts of theories, speculation, and analysis at this point, from it was a munitions depot, to ammonium nitrate, to a fireworks factory; it was accidental, not it was an on-the-ground attack/sabotage, to it was Iranian missiles setting off munitions, etc., etc., etc.

There was one rather lengthy Twitter thread with multiple videos from different angles and distances that walked through the nature of the multiple explosions (there were several small ones prior to the big one), the colors of the smoke at each stage and what it meant, etc.

Who knows... hopefully we'll learn more as time goes on.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Looks like they improperly stored 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate and something set it off.....

Yeah, fertiliser was one of the suspected goods stored there. It makes more sense than fireworks. 

That's what the IRA once rolled into the middle of Manchester  (UK) in a lorry and blew up the city center. I was there the day after. Mindblowing the devastation. 

Who'd store that much in one place knowing what it does if it's set off?

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, PeterS said:

Who'd store that much in one place knowing what it does if it's set off?

In such a densely populated Capitol City no less. It wasn't some remote storage area out in the desert or some small remote rural town. It was being stored (whatever it was) in the Capitol City of Lebanon! Very strange.

The weirdest thing is that Trump, in claiming that it was terrorism (which is not weird at all) said that his army officials thought that due to the type of explosion, that they thought it was terrorism.

Now I'm no expert by any means, but when I first saw it, I didn't think terrorism for a second, it's just not the type of bamb that they would have access to or use.

Over 100 dead last I hear and 4000 injured.
During a pandemic, with a corrupt governement and a shitty state of living already.
Sad.

44 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

The weirdest thing is that Trump, in claiming that it was terrorism (which is not weird at all) said that his army officials thought that due to the type of explosion, that they thought it was terrorism.

Now I'm no expert by any means, but when I first saw it, I didn't think terrorism for a second, it's just not the type of bamb that they would have access to or use.

Over 100 dead last I hear and 4000 injured.
During a pandemic, with a corrupt governement and a shitty state of living already.
Sad.

Maybe the explosion reminded him the case of Timothy McVeigh. 

Btw, I felt the explosion and the sound wave of it (living  120-150 miles NW from Beirut). Initially I thought it was some military exercise from the Turkish Army in the north. A similar explosion happened here in 2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelos_Florakis_Naval_Base_explosion) and as usual the true perpetrators  escape the justice.