Too much political discussion on the forum?

heavyharmonies

Is there too much political discussion on the HH forum?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had a private comment/complaint regarding the amount of political discussion in the Flamefest section of the forum. I'd like to get some feedback as to how others feel. You responses will be anonymous; no one including me will be able to see who chose which response.

As always, people are always able to PM me if they have concerns as to the tone/type/amount of discussion here on the board.

Thanks,

-Dan

• Like 1

...listen to music, and ignore life...
haha, it's pretty easy to see which threads have political content, just don't open them.
I don't give a crap if you choose to moderate the board without this content, your board, your choice.
BUT, if you do, you kind of have to apply that to other areas people might suggest shouldn't be here, like the thread with the naked girlies.
again your choice, but you are restricting what people do, and some won't like it and leave, then everyone is worse off.

I agree, not a fan of talking politics in general, so I usually skip the threads.  But I don't have an issue personally if others post their opinions on those topics, as long as things stay respectful.

With that said, those topics have kind of dominated the new posts on the forum of late.  I just hope it doesn't start to turn some people off, especially newer members.  There are plenty of forums out there to discuss politics and current world affairs.  But not many for fans who want to discuss 80's influenced, melodic rock/metal music. 

I'm not going to post in anymore political threads but it doesn't bother me that they are there

for the record it wasn't me that messaged Dan :)

I'm happy to admit it was me. More a concern about the direction some of this is going. 

For the last decade and a half, or however long I've been posting , we've kind of all got along with no real aggro. I've always been proud that we're a bunch from all around the globe who get along and love our music. One seller of re-issues the one notable exception. 

Recently we've been having more political posts and it's a bit like talking politics with the family , rarely goes well. 

I actually think it's good to try and have conversations but maybe keep it to one thread and perhaps tone it down a little? 

• Like 1

Easy enough to ignore the threads and I generally try to stay out of it as best I can.  What I have seen seems like it's all been respectful but granted I haven't paid very close attention either.      

I do have to say that the last 3-4 months have probably been the most frustrating time I can remember during my lifetime in terms of what's going on in our world so I surely get the need to vent a bit.   And it hasn't helped that there hasn't been much to discuss in terms of music the past few months with few releases, no shows, etc. 

I haven't been bothered by the discussions though.  Easy enough to just head to the AOR/Hard Rock section of the forum B)

Doesn't really bother me because I don't read it much,I've grown up in a very politically divided place all of my life which wasn't great if i'm being honest so as such I'm not interested in politics at all,a lot of changes where I live has made my childrens young lives so much better than the bombings and killings on a daily basis that I grew up with...I come here for the music discussion...but if people do want to discuss other things then that's their free choice.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I think the conversations have been pretty tame and respectful TBH. Yes, there's the usual pissing contest between Geoff and Glen, but you'll find that in any thread 😉 and Cody can get slightly heated at times, but we've all learnt to ignore him anyway 😉😉.

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, PeterS said:

I'm happy to admit it was me. More a concern about the direction some of this is going. 

For the last decade and a half, or however long I've been posting , we've kind of all got along with no real aggro. I've always been proud that we're a bunch from all around the globe who get along and love our music. One seller of re-issues the one notable exception. 

Recently we've been having more political posts and it's a bit like talking politics with the family , rarely goes well. 

I actually think it's good to try and have conversations but maybe keep it to one thread and perhaps tone it down a little? 

I can see where you're coming from mate. I guess we have to remember that this is predominantly a music forum.

Thanks for nipping the speculation in the bud BTW. I appreciate your honesty.

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

BUT, if you do, you kind of have to apply that to other areas people might suggest shouldn't be here, like the thread with the naked girlies.

You've gone too far now. That's just crazy talk.

• Haha 1

Music has been stupid and boring, anytime I find a band I missed I try and put it up here, I didnt even know there was a political board up, I'll have to check it out.

Admittedly I thought it was Glen, mainly becase Geoff tends to go for him over these issues :)
But considering the subject matter, I have found it all to be VERY FUCKING RESPECTFUL.
Don't know of anywhere else where politicla views and BLM stuff etc is handled with such lack of agro than here.

For me, that ADDS to the board as it makes (me at least) feel ok about expressing myself more than I perhaps wouuld.

All that said, if there is a feeling thet there are more politcal threads than music (what are there 2 or 3 political threads?) then start some more music threads.
It's easy to do, just pick a topic.
Go back to the 80's and ask for bands that play music like 80's Crue, or sound off about a favorite band that never got the respect they should have, ordo a desert island discs, etc
The usual shit, but it's fun, and music.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Admittedly I thought it was Glen, mainly becase Geoff tends to go for him over these issues :)
But considering the subject matter, I have found it all to be VERY FUCKING RESPECTFUL.
Don't know of anywhere else where politicla views and BLM stuff etc is handled with such lack of agro than here.

Nah mate, I don't specifically go after Glen at all. I am the most anti-political human in existence and avoid politics and discussions of politics like the plague. I only swoop into action when I see something I intensely disagree with and it just happened to be that Glen was pushing what I really didn't agree with, hence there was a difference of opinion. Could have happened to anyone had they shared the view Glen did and voiced it as he did.

Anyway, the obvious choice in the list here is ignore it if you don't like it. It seems to be the trend in 2020 - if you don't like something, just remove it. Don't like the past? Ignore it and pretend it never happened and remove all trace of it! Don't like the name of that candy? Then change the name! The name of my band or sport team offends one person in every 15 million?! Well change the fucking thing! Isn't that the obvious, logical solution? My sex offends you? Easy. I am now gender neutral. We're a planet of absolute fucking geniuses. 

Haha, no offence at all to the origins of this topic, but as with anything and everything in life, if you don't like it, just don't open it up... don't look. Very easily done. ;) Still plenty of music threads and posts on this forum to look through. 

And when the NRL season is done, I'll be looking at those ones myself... not the political threads. 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Nah mate, I don't specifically go after Glen at all. I am the most anti-political human in existence and avoid politics and discussions of politics like the plague. I only swoop into action when I see something I intensely disagree with and it just happened to be that Glen was pushing what I really didn't agree with, hence there was a difference of opinion. Could have happened to anyone had they shared the view Glen did and voiced it as he did.

Anyway, the obvious choice in the list here is ignore it if you don't like it. It seems to be the trend in 2020 - if you don't like something, just remove it. Don't like the past? Ignore it and pretend it never happened and remove all trace of it! Don't like the name of that candy? Then change the name! The name of my band or sport team offends one person in every 15 million?! Well change the fucking thing! Isn't that the obvious, logical solution? My sex offends you? Easy. I am now gender neutral. We're a planet of absolute fucking geniuses. 

Haha, no offence at all to the origins of this topic, but as with anything and everything in life, if you don't like it, just don't open it up... don't look. Very easily done. ;) Still plenty of music threads and posts on this forum to look through. 

And when the NRL season is done, I'll be looking at those ones myself... not the political threads. 

What a wanker, did you sit down and write this out before you posted it? thats about the gayest shit ive ever seen you post, LOL,

37 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

What a wanker, did you sit down and write this out before you posted it? thats about the gayest shit ive ever seen you post, LOL,

lol. Nah, no thought in it (like everything I post). What's so shit about it? Just everything?

I did notice some of the wording kind of blends which I don't like. 

I'm saying if you don't like political threads, don't read them. I am not encouraging that they are deleted and banned.

Because, I meant to say, that seems to be the way of the world now and I hate it. If a minority is offended by something in 2020, the easiest solution is to just get rid of it for everyone. Don't discuss it - just get rid of it and pretend it never existed. Because that's how we solve problems in 2020. 

But that's separate to the threads here. If you don't like the threads, there's no need to read them. BUT, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there for those who are taking part in them. It'd be like me asking Dan to remove all the NFO threads, or westcoast AOR threads because I don't personally enjoy those threads. Simple, I just don't look at them.

Anyway, fuck this. I know my point and you fuckers are just going to read between the lines because it's clear to me at least. 

• Haha 1

Geoff, dude, see the smiley face at the end of the line?
I was only fucking with ya, I take the you and Glen stuff more as banter.
Even if it isn't, it's still fairly tame considering the subject matter.

19 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol. Nah, no thought in it (like everything I post). What's so shit about it? Just everything?

I did notice some of the wording kind of blends which I don't like. 

I'm saying if you don't like political threads, don't read them. I am not encouraging that they are deleted and banned.

Because, I meant to say, that seems to be the way of the world now and I hate it. If a minority is offended by something in 2020, the easiest solution is to just get rid of it for everyone. Don't discuss it - just get rid of it and pretend it never existed. Because that's how we solve problems in 2020. 

But that's separate to the threads here. If you don't like the threads, there's no need to read them. BUT, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there for those who are taking part in them. It'd be like me asking Dan to remove all the NFO threads, or westcoast AOR threads because I don't personally enjoy those threads. Simple, I just don't look at them.

Anyway, fuck this. I know my point and you fuckers are just going to read between the lines because it's clear to me at least. 

Nothings wrong with it, I never said that, it's just gay, and very un-G-off, anyways I was just trying to troll your post and get you mad enough that you just snapped and called me a cunt, instead you went all Robert DeNiro sounding on me, now I'm offended, I think your racist, and I saw that post before you edited, you specifically made that joke about what do you get when you cross a Jap and an Irishman, so quick you took it down, im sending Antifa over to peacefully protest your post, I hope your ready. BTW I loved Jack be nimble Jack be limp, I thought the critics were way to harsh reviewing it, I think your performance was stellar, and I ordered copy's for my mates, keep "UP" the good work buddy

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I love talking politics. I have for years. I have no problem with people voicing their opinions, and hell no they dont have to agree with me. BUT, if your the type of person that has to call people names, dont believe others can have different opinions and troll just to start shit then just keep walking. If your not mature enough to have a normal conversation about anything without causing problems why would I and anyone else want to even talk to you? Over the years Ive met plenty like that, I ignore them and dont even answer because I know they are only looking for a fight. People like that dont have a real argument using truth. Since they dont they only attack instead of discuss.  :(