Voices Of Reason

Leykis101

All great stuff, legendary

3 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I Think everyone on this board, who lives anywhere but the US, who gives a fuck anyways, you should watch this, and pay special attention to the opening topic, because it is exactly spot on, and they tell you exactly whats going on right now, and they cannot make it any clearer, than anyone left making or thinking they still know, well I wont say they are idiots, but I feel bad for them.

Edited by Leykis101

Why do you think this is a US Topic? The media globally does this. But it's not just the media, politicians lie, and they seem to be getting worse. Then there is the close relationship between the media and the politicians. 

There needs to be separation between the Media and the politicians. You can't have media moguls (Murdoch and others) paying politicians and then 'reporting' on them in any objective way, The swift move between radio/tv host and politician should not be allowed. See this a lot in both the UK and US. These people know what they're doing. 

Add to that the politicians are paid by other large companies. This isn't a left/right thing either. You really think your elected official has your interests at heart when some benefactor is 'donating' millions to their cause? 

Hilarious though that they talk about bias and then roll out the line 'the USA is the best country on the earth'.  

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Why do you think this is a US Topic? The media globally does this. But it's not just the media, politicians lie, and they seem to be getting worse. Then there is the close relationship between the media and the politicians. 

There needs to be separation between the Media and the politicians. You can't have media moguls (Murdoch and others) paying politicians and then 'reporting' on them in any objective way, The swift move between radio/tv host and politician should not be allowed. See this a lot in both the UK and US. These people know what they're doing. 

Add to that the politicians are paid by other large companies. This isn't a left/right thing either. You really think your elected official has your interests at heart when some benefactor is 'donating' millions to their cause? 

Hilarious though that they talk about bias and then roll out the line 'the USA is the best country on the earth'.  

spot on. whoever gets elected in the UK is basically the party supported by Murdoch. 

this is a few months ago but an interesting piece which highlights how Murdoch will look to influence for his own political benefit, gain / financial interest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/08/murdoch-media-china-coronavirus-conspiracy-trump-kevin-rudd

• 2023 Gold Donors

I've got to try and inject some music into these threads so the song will reflect my thoughts, ala Bumblebee. This is not only a voice of reason, but a voice of time, love and tenderness.

I'm sure you'll appreciate this one Cody san.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
59 minutes ago, Glen said:

this is a few months ago but an interesting piece which highlights how Murdoch will look to influence for his own political benefit, gain / financial interest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/08/murdoch-media-china-coronavirus-conspiracy-trump-kevin-rudd

It's William Randolph Hearst (Citizen Kane) all over again. The more things change the more they stay the same.

New tools though. Social media and 24 'news' where most of the news is opinion. 

It could, and is, argued Hitler was the first to really unleash the power of propaganda through radio. Trump is the first to master social media for propaganda purposes. Youtube channels now in the mix as well. They will take over from talk radio, I suspect. 

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I've got to try and inject some music into these threads so the song will reflect my thoughts, ala Bumblebee. This is not only a voice of reason, but a voice of time, love and tenderness.

I'm sure you'll appreciate this one Cody san.

What an excellent selection, an absolutely awesome song.

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

What's wrong with saying that? His point was millions of people try to come here illegally every month, people of color, of different religions, ethnicity's, they die everyday trying to come over here, if it were that racist of a country, and that horrible, would that make sense? you don't see many people trying to sneak into Mexico, how is saying that bias? people who decide to work and create and prosper, do well here, it's definitely not a place for lazy people, or people who want hand outs, I agree it's a horrible place for them, anyone willing to sacrifice and work their ass off, oh it's most certainly going to pay off, it's what you want out of life, nothing gets nothing, as I believe it was Killer Dwarfs said.

4 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

What's wrong with saying that? His point was millions of people try to come here illegally every month, people of color, of different religions, ethnicity's, they die everyday trying to come over here, if it were that racist of a country, and that horrible, would that make sense? you don't see many people trying to sneak into Mexico, how is saying that bias? people who decide to work and create and prosper, do well here, it's definitely not a place for lazy people, or people who want hand outs, I agree it's a horrible place for them, anyone willing to sacrifice and work their ass off, oh it's most certainly going to pay off, it's what you want out of life, nothing gets nothing, as I believe it was Killer Dwarfs said.

All it proves is that most of the countries in South America are not nice places to live so they go to a better country to find a better life....that means the US is better than the countries in SA not the best country in the world....

6 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

All it proves is that most of the countries in South America are not nice places to live so they go to a better country to find a better life....that means the US is better than the countries in SA not the best country in the world....

I don't know about many other country's, but this one has all I could want, and more, don't know where this sentiment that the US is a bad place to live is, kind of makes me curious, I guess if you go to a good city, I don't see how it gets much better, if you go to a bad city, I'm pretty sure it's on the other end of the spectrum as far as a good city, if all these people come from South America, there is Mexico, Canada, Asia, Russia, Middle East, it's not like America is the only option, therefore it must be somewhere at the top, though not living in many other country's, I can't say one way or another.

2 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

I don't know about many other country's, but this one has all I could want, and more, don't know where this sentiment that the US is a bad place to live is, kind of makes me curious, I guess if you go to a good city, I don't see how it gets much better, if you go to a bad city, I'm pretty sure it's on the other end of the spectrum as far as a good city, if all these people come from South America, there is Mexico, Canada, Asia, Russia, Middle East, it's not like America is the only option, therefore it must be somewhere at the top, though not living in many other country's, I can't say one way or another.

I'm not saying the US is a bad place because it isn't...I think there have been a lot more people coming to Canada from the US than there is going from Canada to the US at least since 2016 lol...as for the best country I might pick one of the Scandinavian countries but like you I haven't been to that many places to be certain...

The best country in the world myth is used as a political tool to make people think all is well and you're better here than anywhere else in the world. USA has this exceptionalism culture in politics and us brits have always had it too. Plenty of others use it. 

Are they bad countries to live in? Certainly not. Best in the world? No metric shows that.

Same with the 'land of opportunity'. A myth perpetuated to make people work hard. Reality remains that the most surefire way of being successful is having a rich father. 

Edited by PeterS

14 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Meh, I see Australia as mini-USA to a large degree.
We follow most things from there.
Overall I see it as kind of more dangerous in some areas.
Thjere are things I don't like. I'd prefer non compulsory voting, like the US, I'd prefer a presidential system of government and am pro republic fo Australis (sever those ties with England), but there are many things here that I'd prefer to live with and I think are far better than in the USm\, nut most people would also say that their country is the best for a range of reasons.

10 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Meh, I see Australia as mini-USA to a large degree.
We follow most things from there.
Overall I see it as kind of more dangerous in some areas.
Thjere are things I don't like. I'd prefer non compulsory voting, like the US, I'd prefer a presidential system of government and am pro republic fo Australis (sever those ties with England), but there are many things here that I'd prefer to live with and I think are far better than in the USm\, nut most people would also say that their country is the best for a range of reasons.

I see it as thats why they live there, correct? most people anyways, I am seriously considering a move to Perth if things go south here, because of everything you stated, ;my friends moved to Perth in 96 and have never even considered coming back, they are true Aussies now, and only come to the states when they have to visit family

Perth is nice.
Hot there is summer, if you like that, but every evening the 'Freemantle Doctor' comes in (cool breeze) and creates a pleasant evening.
It is fairly isolated from the ost of Australia, and getting even anywhere is Western Australia is a fair journey from its capital.
I guess they have no covid, so that's a prety big bonus right now.
Also getting to Europe, SE Asia etc is a lot cheaper than from the bigger cities on the East Coast as it it a lot closer to these areas - not that it counts for anything at the moment.

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Perth is nice.
Hot there is summer, if you like that, but every evening the 'Freemantle Doctor' comes in (cool breeze) and creates a pleasant evening.
It is fairly isolated from the ost of Australia, and getting even anywhere is Western Australia is a fair journey from its capital.
I guess they have no covid, so that's a prety big bonus right now.
Also getting to Europe, SE Asia etc is a lot cheaper than from the bigger cities on the East Coast as it it a lot closer to these areas - not that it counts for anything at the moment.

Yeah, I reckon if you're moving here, Perth or somewhere in Queensland. I'd probably go with Queensland TBH.

Edited by Darkstone

Second Queensland.
Anywhere but Sydney (provokes Geoff :))
Queensland has a pretty temperate climate, year round nice temperature, not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (although they pretty much have wet and dry seasons anyway, especially the further North you go)
Only downside is the humidity there. I guess kinda like Florida in many ways.

2 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

An ex-stripper who used to rob men interviewing a politician suffering from senile dementia...

Yeah, way to go America's left wing.

If this isn't playing into Trump's hands, I don't know what is.

I tried to look at the whole Cardi B/Biden interview but I couldn't finish it. Very cringe-worthy.

Edited by Stefan
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2020 at 8:43 PM, CureTheSane said:

Second Queensland.
Anywhere but Sydney (provokes Geoff :))
Queensland has a pretty temperate climate, year round nice temperature, not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (although they pretty much have wet and dry seasons anyway, especially the further North you go)
Only downside is the humidity there. I guess kinda like Florida in many ways.

Haha, no one hates Sydney more than me, mate. I work there out of necessity, but live an hour up the coast (wish it was further, but it does already make a huge difference). 

Sydney has a beautiful coastline and some genuinely amazing areas of natural beauty, but they're all fucked now. The place is just a congested cesspool and I can't stand the joint. 

Only place worse in Australia is Melbourne. NSW and Victoria are both incredibly beautiful states, but both major cities are hell holes. I'd never recommend either to anyone. 

I haven't been into Perth (just around it), but I've stayed in Fremantle and what I've seen and known of WA would probably make it my number three pick of an Australian state. But as noted, it's more or less equal with Queensland. Either would be a great place to live. Actually, scrap that. WA would be second for the reasons previously stated by CTS, plus it's bigger and more spacious with more opportunity to avoid humans. 

I haven't been into Adelaide, but again, what I've seen and know about SA leads me to think it's probably about on par with these two states. All have amazing coastlines. Can't surf in half of Queensland, though, so red mark through that state. ;)

Never been to the Northern Territory, but probably pretty cool (not literally) up there. 

So, you say, where's my number one pick? Well, you fool, Tasmania of course. If I'm being honest, I hate the cold a bit too much to say I'd live here for sure if I had no ties and could live anywhere I wanted, but I'd give it a chance for sure. It is a magically beautiful state and by a long way the best state in Australia I've been too. By far. Just a shame about the climate, but being serious... I don't think it's too bad. Just a bit cooler than what we get down in the southern part of the country. 

So anyway, if I had to make a checklist, I would NEVER seek out any capital city in Australia. Not even Hobart, but if I had to pick one it'd be Hobart. As long as you live outside of the big cities, there is an abundance of perfect spots to live in Australia.