A friend of mine has a friend and he wants me to try and write a song. Thing is, I'm definitely no Bob Hartman, so how many of you guys have written songs and can give me advice? He said I should try and write a Christian song so I'll be taking a lot of advice and inspiration from guys like Bob, and once I wrote a song that Foreigner totally could've sung. Never tried writing a Christian song and 9/10 times my songwriting goes in the trash because it's too cheesy or doesn't flow right. All I have to do is come up with a poem sort of thing while my friend's friend adds his own music cause he has a band. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that have helped them in writing songs? 
-Belle

I have written plenty. All genres. Been writing since I was around 12. I'm 47 now. Have binders full of lyrics.

• Thanks 1

I have even written Christian songs. And satanic songs. LOL

Creative rhyming and rhythmic patterns are important too.

For example:

I love you, (3)

You love me too (4)

Sky is blue, (3)

when you're in view. (4)

I'll have to find the christain song I wrote a long time ago. It was called "Spread The Word".

Wow! Thanks!! I guess I wasn't expecting you to help me : ) 

19 minutes ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Wow! Thanks!! I guess I wasn't expecting you to help me : ) 

Why wouldn't I want to help you? I hold no grudges with you. We're all a family around here!

7 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Why wouldn't I want to help you? I hold no grudges with you. We're all a family around here!

Idk you seemed pretty angry in your last message plus I thought you would just come on here and laugh at me. I don't hold grudges either though so that's good you don't. : ) 

Edited by PetraGirl86

"Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs" (a legendary Aussie band) released a song in 1964 called "Mashed Potato". It was a cover, but still managed to reach top 10 nationally at the time. When it comes to songwriting, sometimes less is more. 

10 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I'll have to find the christain song I wrote a long time ago. It was called "Spread The Word".

Oh shit mate, if you don't find this and share it I'm going to block you. ;) lol. Would love to see it. 

As I'm too lazy to have ever pursued a musical instrument, I can't validly call what I've done song writing, but I too have written hundreds of sets of lyrics. I had the music track in my head every time, so I guess it's songwriting. I just haven't ever been able to actually record anything. Haven't done it for a few years - probably well over a decade to be honest. But if I got the music tracks I had in my head with my lyrics, I'd have no doubt there'd be some delightful stuff in there. Maybe one day. Who knows? If I ever get un-lazy... :(

Definitely not written any christian songs, though. ;)

I'm a bit curious why your friend wants you to write a song? 

10 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I have written plenty. All genres. Been writing since I was around 12. I'm 47 now. Have binders full of lyrics.

mostly steel panther songs ;)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I'm a bit curious why your friend wants you to write a song? 

Uh idk living in my town you don't get much to do, he doesn't live here but I've probably given him a good enough idea of how boring it is, and he's always trying to think of things for me to do. He wants me to challenge myself and I'm good at writing so I'll give it a shot. This spring I'll start on learning the guitar. 

4 hours ago, Glen said:

mostly steel panther songs ;)

They weren't around when I started writing songs. I wrote Steel Panther songs before there was a Steel Panther. LOL

• Haha 1

If I had actually gotten good musically, a lot of these songs would have music and lyrics. As Geoff said, every song has music behind it but it's in my head. And I've tried many times to learn to play guitar/bass and I just never could.

Well that's ok, at least that guy is gonna put his own music to the words I write 

Found an old binder. Looking at some of these is painful. 

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Bonfire had dropped off my radar the past decade (someone mentioned an album a year!!!).   This samples I've heard on the forth coming album have drawn my attention once again and hopefully, this is a refreshing new face for the band's music.    Definitely going to grab a copy of the new one  
    • For sure Tim was one of the best and most gentle soul I ever encountered while collecting music.  Loved all the interactions we had over the years, and yes, he certainly was knowledgable as T-Bone pointed out.   Did a number of trades with Tim and of course, when I was active selling on E Bay, he bought CDs from me and discussed many of the titles I was selling.  Just another good person that I enjoyed.
    • these guys show that you can still make an enjoyable song with generic, borderline cheesy lyrics if the other elements are there
    • Wow....thanks for sharing Tony.   Tim was definitely one of the great guys....I can remember when I was active selling on E Bay, Tim would always be talking to me about different titles and, of course, we traded many times as well    I always had Tim pictured as a very gentle soul.....So sorry to hear of his passing from this awful virus in the world....
    • I am one of those who prefer their style on Knock You Down and Sultans over the direction they've gone in with the last few albums.  I thought the initial promo tracks for this one sounded solid so I gave the album a spin.  Not bad, but at the end of the day none of the tracks really grabbed me like those earlier releases.   
    • I liked the first two promo tracks for the new album, but this one not so much.  And as Geoff mentioned, the video clip itself is pretty bad
    • I don't have one favorite film but there are a few that I rewatch on a regular basis.... Die Hard (first 3 flicks) Pirates of the Caribbean (all of them) Home Alone (first 2) Predator Those are the ones that immediately come to mind but there are others....
    • Canada still hasn't hit the apex yet, although they are saying we should hit it over the next few weeks... I expect we will be staying at home for another 6 months at least...I think we will be dealing with this virus until there is a working Vaccine in place which will be until at least Spring 2021 maybe even Summer 2021...a lot of numbers are being thrown around where we could have as many as 25000 deaths before it is done.....we still aren't testing enough to get a real understanding of the spread.....the economy will truly be screwed for years to come...one good thing to come out of this is that Canada will not have to depend on other countries for health care equipment after this virus as we will make sure that we make our own equipment instead of outsourcing it... latest numbers.... Total: 12,954 (18 presumptive, 12,936 confirmed including 214 deaths, 2,502 resolved)
    • I hope you and your wife are doing well.  Those are difficult enough jobs, but I can only imagine what you both are going through during a time like this.   I anticipate this will remain a major concern here in the U.S. at least through the summer.  In areas hardest hit it really overwhelms the hospitals.  The economy was overall in good shape, but we've already seen lots of furloughs and layoffs.  The federal government has unfortunately been playing catch up through most of this and has had to re-evaluate their assessments and action plans often.  Despite warnings for years from health officials, it seems like both the current and last Presidential administration failed to keep a proper inventory of the necessary ppe and emergency medical supplies. The state and local governments have had to manage much of this on their own initially, and all responded differently.  As such some areas of the country may be better off than others by June/July.  While other states will likely have ramifications for months beyond that.  It astonishes me to see people not taking the recommended precautions seriously while others hoarded essentials early on leading to panic buying and stores struggling to keep some items in stock.  I am grateful my family is well and I remain employed, working from home now.  I check in regularly with my parents, mother-in-law and a few, older neighbors. I try to remain calm so my family feels safe. But to add to my general concerns, I was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer last October.  It's a manageable disease with regular monitoring and treatment, but I am in the high risk category, so my stress level is at a maximum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.