Don Dokken has neck and spinal surgery - "Hands are dead"

whiplash1972

From the official Dokken Facebook page:

Earlier today a series of interviews were put out on music news websites regarding Don’s health and use of his hands... That interview came out in early January 2020.

Don had neck and spinal surgery in early November 2019. There were some complications; Don’s right arm and hand were partially paralyzed as well as overall weakness in his body.

Since that interview in January, Don is doing much better and his doctors do expect him to fully recover but it will take time. He does continue to have difficulty holding items and at this time is unable to play guitar, this does not affect his voice. That being said, there are no changes at this time to the upcoming show schedule.

Don has been actively writing new music, is in great spirits, looks forward to the upcoming Dokken shows and greatly appreciates the outpouring of support.

You can expect more great Dokken music and shows this year, just don’t expect somersaults!

For more Dokken information please visit dokken.net or on Facebook and Twitter @dokken, Instagram @dokken_official or email Jessica Chase at officialdokkeninfo@gmail.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the interview spoken of above:

Don Dokken’s ‘Hands Are Dead’ After Spine Surgery

A surgery on his spine has left Dokken frontman Don Dokken unable to use his hands.

The singer recently appeared on the Classic Metal Show and broke the news. "It's been two and a half months since I had spine surgery, and my hands are dead," he said . "They don't move. It's very strange. It's an interesting way to live your life. You've gotta learn how to feed yourself, wipe your butt, brush your teeth, dress yourself. [It takes] 20 minutes to put socks on, 'cause one of my hands works a little bit, but not very much."

He added that he's doing "physical therapy four days a week — on a bike, and I'm pedaling my ass off, building up my leg strength, building up my arms… What's left of my arms — my arms are completely atrophied. I don't know what's gonna happen with my whole hands situation. They're still paralyzed. So I think my guitar-playing days are obviously over. But that's okay. I got 50 years to play guitar."

Dokken has 11 shows planned for 2020, with the first few taking place next month. Nine of the dates will feature former guitarist George Lynch, whose band Lynch Mob is opening, sitting in with the band during the encore. The singer is considering hiring a personal assistant to "basically babysit me. At least I can sing. My voice feels great. I just can't hold a microphone."

He's been told that there's a possibility he can regain 30 percent of the use of his hands again, and he's hoping "that maybe some miracle will happen and slowly the nerves will reconnect and my hands will start working again. Or you're gonna hear about me in the newspaper, 'cause I'm gonna go to the [surgeon's] office and I'm gonna go over to the desk and I'm gonna pummel his face. And I'm serious. That guy fucked up. He was supposed to be the best of the best.

"After they put me under, I said two things: 'Don't kill me. 'Don't paralyze me,'" he continued. "That's what I said. I swear to God. And he's, like, 'That's why you came to me. I'm the best.' So I wake up in the hospital, and I'm, like, 'How come my hands don't move?' 'How come my fingers don't move?' 'How come my hands are on fire?' 'How come I can barely walk? I'm on a walker. What the fuck did you do, man?' And he goes, 'Well, it happens sometimes.' I love it when surgeons go, 'Well, shit happens. It only happens in one of a thousand surgeries.' So I'm Mr. One Thousand, apparently. So, I'm not happy about it."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-dokken-spine-surgery/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope things have improved as much as Jessica says! Just a shitty situation all the way around; I understand Don's bitterness, but hopefully he's a little more positive now.    Mike 

Photo by @morningstarphotos

Don.jpg

• 3 months later...

https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-02-10-don-dokken-gives-update-following-news-of-spinal-surgery-complications/

Don Dokken Gives Update Following News Of Spinal Surgery Complications

By Andrew Magnotta @AndrewMagnotta

February 10, 2020

5e417a15dd31326ecaaf5f43?ops=contain(740

Don Dokken says his doctors expect him to "fully recover" after he suffered complications from spinal surgery in November.

Dokken told the Classic Metal Show last month that after having the procedure, his "hands [were] dead."

"They don't move," he explained. "It's very strange. It's an interesting way to live your life."

He added at the time that he was in physical therapy four days a week and was unsure how much he could expect to recover. He surmised that he would never play guitar again.

This weekend Dokken's official social media offered an encouraging update, explaining that the singer has made significant progress since the beginning of the year and is doing "much better."

While Dokken is still dogged by issues with his hands, doctors expect him to "fully recover, but it will take time," the update read. He still can't play guitar but his singing voice in unaffected.

At this time, Dokken is expected to play his scheduled shows coming up in March.

The statement added that he has been "actively writing new music" and "is in great spirits" in no small part due to the "outpouring of support" from his fans.

"You can expect more Dokken music and shows this year, just don't expect somersaults!" the statement concluded.

Dokken's shows this year include a handful of appearances with George Lynch and Alice Cooper this spring and summer.

Get all of his tour dates here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...