Top Bon Jovi Songs

CureTheSane

47 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not in the strictest meaning. Yes another band recorded it first, but it was kinda a stock tune given to the band Fair Warning by their producer and was never actually released as the whole album was scrapped.

still the only song they've never written or co written ?? I think 

10 minutes ago, Glen said:

I read that too and found that fact to be both fascinating and admirable. That said, I wish they'd had someone write their last couple of albums for them. Can't have been worse than what they've come up with. :(

They didn't write it but Fair Warning gave the song to Bon Jovi because Fair Warning's album was scrapped. I'm not sure if they ever recorded it but it's more Bon Jovi 's tune than Fair Warning's. But it is the only song they've never written. I guess it's never been preformed live since the mid 1980s 

2 hours ago, PetraGirl86 said:

They didn't write it but Fair Warning gave the song to Bon Jovi because Fair Warning's album was scrapped. I'm not sure if they ever recorded it but it's more Bon Jovi 's tune than Fair Warning's. But it is the only song they've never written. I guess it's never been preformed live since the mid 1980s 

I saw them on SWW tour and I don't recall them playing it - could be wrong though.....tis a long time ago lol 

In no order
Livin On A Prayer
You Give Love Bad Name
Bad Medicine
Born To Be My Baby
Edge Of A Broken Heart
Love Is War
In Your Arms
If I Was Your Mother
Hardest Part Is The Night
Lay Your Hands On Me

I stuck to the classic era and no Ballads, They have too many great Ballads it would have taken up the list!  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Well they have recorded their fair share of proper cover songs, so it really depends on what you classify this as. If it is a cover, then no it's not as it is just one of many. If it is just a recording of a song written by someone else, then that may be true.

2 hours ago, PetraGirl86 said:

It would not have been Fair Warnings to give away. The song was written and produced by Mike Avsec and was working for Polygram, so the song would have been given to them by the record label. A few other artists were gifted it as well.

Mike Avsec wrote it for Wild Cherry? Who changed their band to Fair Warning. From what I understood he was in it but I could be wrong. Other bands recorded it but those were covers of Bon Jovi's song 

1 hour ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Mike Avsec wrote it for Wild Cherry? Who changed their band to Fair Warning. From what I understood he was in it but I could be wrong. Other bands recorded it but those were covers of Bon Jovi's song 

Mike was a member of Wild Cherry, but he wrote the song (and the whole album) for Fair Warning who used to be called LaFlavour, a disco band.

Bon Jovi released their version in 1984, but probably recorded it in 1983. The two other bands who released it released their versions prior to Jovi in 1982 & 1983.

It is one of the main reasons it is hard to call it a cover as it is more of a stock tune, much like a lot of the old rock n roll songs of the 50s that were written by outside writers and then given to multiple artists.

• Thanks 1

So here is my definitive Bon Jovi list. Like Def Leppard I've grouped the songs cos at the end of the day you can't  rank songs which are all 10s eh lol. 

Some observations though -

1. 45 songs ranked 9/10 or over. This an amazing achievement for any band

2. I think sometimes they got the track selection wrong

3. This House is not for sale is actually better than the previous 2 - a few tracks around the 8.5 mark like 'Livin with the Ghost' & 'Born Again Tomorrow'

4. The Last really great song they wrote was HAND era

5. These Days is very good indeed - despite only 4 songs making the cut most of them are 8.5 +

6. Crush & Bounce are really really weak albums

7. New Jersey is 'slightly' overrated. Yep I just said that. They left the best song off - 'Love is War'

8. S/T remains their finest album with every song making the cut

9. So....easy to tell my top 11 lol. But which one wouldn't make the top 10 is v v difficult 

so here's the list -

Runaway
Roulette
She Don't Know Me
Shot Through The Heart
You Give Love A Bad Name
Livin on a Prayer
I'd Die For You
Bed of Roses
Born to Be my Baby
Borderline
Love is War

Wild Is the Wind
Livin in Sin
Edge of a Broken Heart

Love Lies
Come Back
Without Love
Never Say Goodbye
In These Arms
Starting All Over Again
These Days
Nothing
Always
Love Hurts

Hardest Part in the Night
Keep The Faith
Dry County
I'll be there for You
Have a Nice Day
Rosie
Another Reason To Believe
Game of The Heart

Breakout
Burning For Love
Get Ready
Wanted Dead or Alive
In and out of Love
Silent Night
Something For The Pain
This Ain't a Love Song
Hearts Breaking Even
Its My Life
Superman Tonight
Thorn in my Side

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Glen said:

So here is my definitive Bon Jovi list. Like Def Leppard I've grouped the songs cos at the end of the day you can't  rank songs which are all 10s eh lol. 

Some observations though -

1. 45 songs ranked 9/10 or over. This an amazing achievement for any band

2. I think sometimes they got the track selection wrong

3. This House is not for sale is actually better than the previous 2 - a few tracks around the 8.5 mark like 'Livin with the Ghost' & 'Born Again Tomorrow'

4. The Last really great song they wrote was HAND era

5. These Days is very good indeed - despite only 4 songs making the cut most of them are 8.5 +

6. Crush & Bounce are really really weak albums

7. New Jersey is 'slightly' overrated. Yep I just said that. They left the best song off - 'Love is War'

8. S/T remains their finest album with every song making the cut

9. So....easy to tell my top 11 lol. But which one wouldn't make the top 10 is v v difficult 

so here's the list -

Runaway
Roulette
She Don't Know Me
Shot Through The Heart
You Give Love A Bad Name
Livin on a Prayer
I'd Die For You
Bed of Roses
Born to Be my Baby
Borderline
Love is War

Wild Is the Wind
Livin in Sin
Edge of a Broken Heart

Love Lies
Come Back
Without Love
Never Say Goodbye
In These Arms
Starting All Over Again
These Days
Nothing
Always
Love Hurts

Hardest Part in the Night
Keep The Faith
Dry County
I'll be there for You
Have a Nice Day
Rosie
Another Reason To Believe
Game of The Heart

Breakout
Burning For Love
Get Ready
Wanted Dead or Alive
In and out of Love
Silent Night
Something For The Pain
This Ain't a Love Song
Hearts Breaking Even
Its My Life
Superman Tonight
Thorn in my Side

I actually had 12 songs I rated 10/10 too and just ranked them in order of preference. My list, plus 'Bed Of Roses,' 'Livin' On A Prayer' which just missed my top 10. Twelve 10/10 songs - pretty amazing. 

3. I like those two songs and 'I Will Drive You Home' from 'This house is not for sale' too, but not much else on the album and I think 'Burning Bridges' is a slightly better album. All three (those two and 'What about now') in a row are pretty bad, though. :(

4. Agree on HAND. Great tunes on that one.

5. I agree that 'These Days' is excellent. Lyrically, I think it's Bon Jovi's best album, with the songs to match. A great disc. Two of the most under-rated songs in the entire BJ discography, imo, are 'My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms' and '(It’s Hard) Letting You Go.'

6.  'The Distance' is killer, but yeah, I agree that despite a couple of strong songs on both albums, 'Crush' and 'Bounce' are weak. 

7. Love 'New Jersey.' Never really liked 'Love is war' if I'm being honest. Thought it was too contrived and lacked passion and I could see why it was cut from the album. Personally. ;)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I actually had 12 songs I rated 10/10 too and just ranked them in order of preference. My list, plus 'Bed Of Roses,' 'Livin' On A Prayer' which just missed my top 10. Twelve 10/10 songs - pretty amazing. 

3. I like those two songs and 'I Will Drive You Home' from 'This house is not for sale' too, but not much else on the album and I think 'Burning Bridges' is a slightly better album. All three (those two and 'What about now') in a row are pretty bad, though. :(

4. Agree on HAND. Great tunes on that one.

5. I agree that 'These Days' is excellent. Lyrically, I think it's Bon Jovi's best album, with the songs to match. A great disc. Two of the most under-rated songs in the entire BJ discography, imo, are 'My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms' and '(It’s Hard) Letting You Go.'

6.  'The Distance' is killer, but yeah, I agree that despite a couple of strong songs on both albums, 'Crush' and 'Bounce' are weak. 

7. Love 'New Jersey.' Never really liked 'Love is war' if I'm being honest. Thought it was too contrived and lacked passion and I could see why it was cut from the album. Personally. ;)

lacks Passion? Bridge and chorus is just as passionate as any other classic BJ track. One of their best tracks imo.

Also Love Hurts & Rosie should have made the cut.

I never play Lay your hands, Blood on Blood, Homebound Train or 99 - drop all those imo 

oh and love is for sale. - huge filler 

and ride cowboy - annoying waste of space.

that's 5.5 tracks that I skip 

Bad Medicine is annoying as well. 

26 minutes ago, Glen said:

Talking of Bad Medicine and the verses thread......

That song would be in the running for worst verses !!

Yeah, Bad Medicine is catchy as hell and a great song.
It's a fun song which has verses no worse than much of the rest of 80's rock.
Hater!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Glen said:

lacks Passion? Bridge and chorus is just as passionate as any other classic BJ track. One of their best tracks imo.

Also Love Hurts & Rosie should have made the cut.

I never play Lay your hands, Blood on Blood, Homebound Train or 99 - drop all those imo 

oh and love is for sale. - huge filler 

and ride cowboy - annoying waste of space.

that's 5.5 tracks that I skip 

Bad Medicine is annoying as well. 

lol, there's actually a fan-clip type thing for 'Love is War.' Yeah, it's a bit hard to explain, but it just sounds to me like the most generically penned Desmond Child song I can imagine - almost more Jack Ponti than Desmond Child. I dunno, just doesn't sound like their heart was truly in it and I can honestly see why it was cut. 

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree that 'Love is war' and 'Rosie' are far better tunes than 'Love for sale,' 'Homebound train' and 'Ride cowboy ride,' which yes, are three pointless songs, and I'd much prefer to have had 'Love is war' and 'Rosie' on the album.

I also agree that 'Lay your hands on me' and 'Bad medicine' are two of the less awesome BJ songs. I do like both, but neither are anywhere near the top of the pile. 

As for 'Blood on blood' and '99 In The Shade' - really? Love those two songs. I assume you don't have brothers? I have two, and 'Blood on blood' always struck a chord with me and is one of my favourite of all BJ tunes. '99 In The Shade' is absolutely the coolest of it's type ever recorded. Kind of like the throwaway party tune of the album... only problem is it's awesome. Love the groove, lyrics, vibe... a summer song for the ages. Love that tune; always did. 

33 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Yeah, Bad Medicine is catchy as hell and a great song.
It's a fun song which has verses no worse than much of the rest of 80's rock.
Hater!

hater lol ? I ranked 45 of their songs over 9/10. That's not hating ;)

I'm just a realist. Bad Medicine is catchy but the verses are awful and annoying

The song is prob an 8.5 but with better verses would be amongst their best tracks 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

lol, there's actually a fan-clip type thing for 'Love is War.' Yeah, it's a bit hard to explain, but it just sounds to me like the most generically penned Desmond Child song I can imagine - almost more Jack Ponti than Desmond Child. I dunno, just doesn't sound like their heart was truly in it and I can honestly see why it was cut. 

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree that 'Love is war' and 'Rosie' are far better tunes than 'Love for sale,' 'Homebound train' and 'Ride cowboy ride,' which yes, are three pointless songs, and I'd much prefer to have had 'Love is war' and 'Rosie' on the album.

I also agree that 'Lay your hands on me' and 'Bad medicine' are two of the less awesome BJ songs. I do like both, but neither are anywhere near the top of the pile. 

As for 'Blood on blood' and '99 In The Shade' - really? Love those two songs. I assume you don't have brothers? I have two, and 'Blood on blood' always struck a chord with me and is one of my favourite of all BJ tunes. '99 In The Shade' is absolutely the coolest of it's type ever recorded. Kind of like the throwaway party tune of the album... only problem is it's awesome. Love the groove, lyrics, vibe... a summer song for the ages. Love that tune; always did. 

in the UK it's 66 in the shade....That might be the problem ;)

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'm just a realist. Bad Medicine is catchy but the verses are awful and annoying

The song is prob an 8.5 but with better verses would be amongst their best tracks 

Gotta be honest... I probably prefer the verses to the chorus. The verses and the pre-chorus. I like it all, but the chorus, for me, is probably the weak link.

All in all, I guess it works pretty well. It's kind of like their 'Unskinny Bop' or 'Cherry Pie,' in which case, it's probably better than those two, lol. ;) Probably on par with 'Cherry Pie,' actually. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

in the UK it's 66 in the shade....That might be the problem ;)

Really, I thought you guys were proper too? It's '37'C In the Shade.' What on earth is 66? ;) 

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Gotta be honest... I probably prefer the verses to the chorus. The verses and the pre-chorus. I like it all, but the chorus, for me, is probably the weak link.

All in all, I guess it works pretty well. It's kind of like their 'Unskinny Bop' or 'Cherry Pie,' in which case, it's probably better than those two, lol. ;) Probably on par with 'Cherry Pie,' actually. 

I hate the whole 'let's do it again'  thing....no Jon the tracks too long anyway lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Really, I thought you guys were proper too? It's '37'C In the Shade.' What on earth is 66? ;) 

I don't know what 66 is.....I just took 30 off ;)

1 hour ago, Glen said:

I was only mucking around.
I couldn't (seriously) care at all about what you like and don't.
But it's fun to disagree in an easy going way.