Jump to content
tts42572

H.e.a.t - H.e.a.t II

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Still a stupid concept to me.
Just stick with shit, ok, good, great, excellent an d on RARE occasions, perfect
How anyone can say, "oh, this one is a 9.75 and the next track is a 9.8" is just weird
Sometimes people like to be so specialist and expert in these things. I don't profess to be, I simply like what I like.

I get an album, then I listen to it, cut out the shit and save the good songs.
A good album for me has at least 50% tracks I like enough not to throw to the curb.
But then I'm just as happy to find 3 killer tracks only off a 12 track album and save them, disgarding the 9.

All about saving the music I like and want to hear again without wasting my time on shittier songs.

I agree with most of that; however, a good album, to me, would only have 2 or 3 songs I don't care for. Songs most people would consider "filler" can be bumped up "good" status if they're surrounded by "great" songs. For me, it's the entirety of the album. That's why I don't rate songs individually. That's why I hate bands that only release singles. I enjoy the whole album experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I agree with most of that; however, a good album, to me, would only have 2 or 3 songs I don't care for. Songs most people would consider "filler" can be bumped up "good" status if they're surrounded by "great" songs. For me, it's the entirety of the album. That's why I don't rate songs individually. That's why I hate bands that only release singles. I enjoy the whole album experience. 

Nah if there are only 2 or 3 songs I don't care for it's a fucking great album for me.
Dr. Feelgood has a couple of tracks I don't like.
Hysteria has a couple as well.
Appetite For Desrtuction has some very average songs for me, but also some killer tracks
sometimes the amazing albums end up having tracks that might be the best songs on a lesser album but amongst the great songs they seem shitter.

On the other hand, I was listiening to First Signal the other day. I picked it because every song of the 2010? album made my best of folder.
All the songs are good, but only a couple of killer tracks, so overally a great album but only great, as even though every song is good and enjoyable to listen to, nothing that really wants me to make the devil sign and jump to my feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Still a stupid concept to me.
Just stick with shit, ok, good, great, excellent an d on RARE occasions, perfect
How anyone can say, "oh, this one is a 9.75 and the next track is a 9.8" is just weird
Sometimes people like to be so specialist and expert in these things. I don't profess to be, I simply like what I like.

I get an album, then I listen to it, cut out the shit and save the good songs.
A good album for me has at least 50% tracks I like enough not to throw to the curb.
But then I'm just as happy to find 3 killer tracks only off a 12 track album and save them, disgarding the 9.

All about saving the music I like and want to hear again without wasting my time on shittier songs.

it's not a perfect science and I certainly wouldn't bother doing it all the time but for example I had to do this to rank 1989 or else the top 20 would have been a tie.

I also did it to rank the HEAT albums as they are all very close....to me anyway.

for the last few years I've decided my tops album purely on what I've played the most.

but I would never discard songs - making playlists is a mistake in my opinion. Sometimes the tracks I dislike at first end up being ones I like the best. And the 'instant' tracks wear thin after a while. 

I know full well that someone is going to reply to this saying I know what I like and that never changes ever , but for me it does .

For example I could have dumped Rock Your Body as it's everything I hate on first listen but hell this song is catchy and grows on me more and more and there are some little HEAT nuances I hear now which I love in that track 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glen said:

it's not a perfect science and I certainly wouldn't bother doing it all the time but for example I had to do this to rank 1989 or else the top 20 would have been a tie.

I also did it to rank the HEAT albums as they are all very close....to me anyway.

for the last few years I've decided my tops album purely on what I've played the most.

but I would never discard songs - making playlists is a mistake in my opinion. Sometimes the tracks I dislike at first end up being ones I like the best. And the 'instant' tracks wear thin after a while. 

I know full well that someone is going to reply to this saying I know what I like and that never changes ever , but for me it does .

For example I could have dumped Rock Your Body as it's everything I hate on first listen but hell this song is catchy and grows on me more and more and there are some little HEAT nuances I hear now which I love in that track 

That's why I miss out on posting on a lot of new album release threads and am always Johnny come lately.
Because I wait until it's had 6 - 10 spins so I really get a good feel for it.
Based on this, sometimes after a first listen I KNOW I will never like the song. But this it pretty rare.
usually I can oust a couple after a few listens for specific reasons, then I let the rest drum into my brain.
Rare that a lot of time goes by and I have a change of heart, but it does happen.
I didn't like God Of Thunder for like 20 years, and eventually I got it lol
Same with Drive by The Cars. Hated it. Was all over radio until we couldn't bare it. Then years went by and I heard it again and I could appreciate it.
I remember a guy on the old Metal Edge forums ( a long time ago) - rucknut. He reckoned that he could instantly assess any song on one listen I I felt sorry for him as I think that is total crap and he missed out on a lot of music.
He was very proud of his music collection and ability to listen to pretty much every song written though.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CureTheSane said:

That's why I miss out on posting on a lot of new album release threads and am always Johnny come lately.
Because I wait until it's had 6 - 10 spins so I really get a good feel for it.
Based on this, sometimes after a first listen I KNOW I will never like the song. But this it pretty rare.
usually I can oust a couple after a few listens for specific reasons, then I let the rest drum into my brain.
Rare that a lot of time goes by and I have a change of heart, but it does happen.
I didn't like God Of Thunder for like 20 years, and eventually I got it lol
Same with Drive by The Cars. Hated it. Was all over radio until we couldn't bare it. Then years went by and I heard it again and I could appreciate it.
I remember a guy on the old Metal Edge forums ( a long time ago) - rucknut. He reckoned that he could instantly assess any song on one listen I I felt sorry for him as I think that is total crap and he missed out on a lot of music.
He was very proud of his music collection and ability to listen to pretty much every song written though.
 

Drive is a top 10 ballad of all time for me. Utter perfection.

Think you mean Rocknut? Mmm if I said anymore it would be by PM ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

...and “Rock Your Body,,” which is unanimously accepted as the weakest track, should have been buried in the middle somewhere. 

Not unanimously, because I think "Rock Your Body" is great (total ear-worm for me) and think "We Are Gods" is the weak point of the album.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, another person here who thinks Rock your body is decent. The chorus is really bad, but I think musically the rest of it is really good. The solo is particularly tasty, especially those opening bends :D

Rise is the perfect outro song IMO.

Oh, I'm thinking one of the highlights of the album is the solo section in Victory - the keys starting, then Dave, then ends a bit Racer Xish :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, metalmaniac777 said:

Not unanimously, because I think "Rock Your Body" is great (total ear-worm for me) and think "We Are Gods" is the weak point of the album.

Yep, what this guy said. 'Rock your body' gets better with every listen and 'We are gods' gets weaker with every listen - easily worst on the album for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body!

Oh man, it really does grate so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the first full spin, I'm a little underwhelmed....it's a good disc, but the songs are either really good or really bad w/ a couple of average tunes, but maybe some of those bad and average ones will grow on me...

My rating would be 90%...

The good:

Dangerous Ground

Come Clean

One By One

Heaven Must Have Won An Angel

Rise

The average:

Victory

Adrenaline

The Bad:

Rock Your Body

We Are Gods

Nothing To Say

Under The Gun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Y&TForever said:

After the first full spin, I'm a little underwhelmed....it's a good disc, but the songs are either really good or really bad w/ a couple of average tunes, but maybe some of those bad and average ones will grow on me...

My rating would be 90%...

The good:

Dangerous Ground

Come Clean

One By One

Heaven Must Have Won An Angel

Rise

The average:

Victory

Adrenaline

The Bad:

Rock Your Body

We Are Gods

Nothing To Say

Under The Gun

how do you end up with a 90% rating when more than half the tracks are average or bad ????

90% would be bordering classic status for me.

just wondering dude.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glen said:

how do you end up with a 90% rating when more than half the tracks are average or bad ????

90% would be bordering classic status for me.

just wondering dude.....

Seriously. 6 of the 11 songs are either average or bad, how does that add up to 90%?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, i really LOVE those 5 songs...nothing to worry yourselves over...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Y&TForever said:

I dunno, i really LOVE those 5 songs...nothing to worry yourselves over...

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But we are worried!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's probably more like 81.7%...could move up to 86.4% by the end of the week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 5:22 AM, simo said:

Appreciate the honest opinion, it's a good album there's no doubt about that. But I sat through it once now and I agree there might be some issues with replay value or some ''generic'' feeling moments

Rock Your Body is a decent song, but unless I pay the whole alum through it won't be played again. The ballad is just ok at best.
Come Clean
One By One
Rise
HMHWAA
Dangerous Ground
Adrenaline
Under the gun
are all jems
Victory and We Are Gods are decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have "Smile For The Camera" they can send me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Rocker said:

Does anyone have "Smile For The Camera" they can send me?

Just listen to the white widdow version - it's actually better imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sirlemonhead said:

Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body Rock your body!

Oh man, it really does grate so much!

street level street level street level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Glen said:

street level street level street level 

With all this recent talk of repetitive choruses, which started with Harem Scarem's "Change the World," the first thing that came to mind was De la Cruz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

With all this recent talk of repetitive choruses, which started with Harem Scarem's "Change the World," the first thing that came to mind was De la Cruz. 

still a great album tho. 

Edited by Glen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glen said:

Just listen to the white widdow version - it's actually better imo 

Just listened back to back on you tube, I prefer the H.e.a.t version, but WW is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glen said:

how do you end up with a 90% rating when more than half the tracks are average or bad ????

90% would be bordering classic status for me.

just wondering dude.....

But % the system is gosphel :lol:
Overall I'd rate the alnum as an OK album.
Some great songs, but overall, as an album, I find it syrupy in the production, with very little variance.

To be fair, I will compare it to the last album.
Redefined has that killer drum beat, background guitar riff and feels like it flows naturally. Vocals are in the lower range
Shit City is catchy as hell, and the vibe of the song is more like this recent album, but it is broken up with the verses being very different to the chorus.
Time On Our Side has that regular build up and drops off to the keys and drums, again, variance within the song.
Best Of The Broken starts with claps with an almost acapalla vibe before it moves into a more standard vibe, but comes back down for the verses.
Blind Leads The Blind has that Maidenesque bridge vocals before it heads into the rocking chorus, pretty standard rocks, but catchy as hell.
We Rule standard ballad
Into The Great Unknown is an epic song which most eitehr love or hate. I love it. A thumping backbeat with a hooky chorus and lots of different 'solos' throughout.

So much variance make a great album, and while I really like some songs of this new one, I think I will be a lot happier when I separate the 4 of 5 tracks I keep from the rest of the album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.