Jump to content
tts42572

H.e.a.t - H.e.a.t II

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Geoff said:

'We are the gods' is defo a cool tune - I just need to get past those lyrics. Like I said, if I could see a bit of light heartedness in it I'd take it a lot better, but it sounds dead serious and therefore is just a bit of a toss to me. 

I tell you the solo that drives me absolutely insane - the 'Dangerous Ground' one. Sweet christ that is how to structure a guitar solo. Absolutely in love with that. 

The ballads are a shame because Erik's voice is so awesome and he sounds great on the ballads - they're just not their best songs by any means. 

except Eye of the Storm of course which is stunningly brilliant. 

also Redefined is a fine ballad of sorts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Pretty much echo your thoughts on the songs...Although I do like We Are Gods quite a bit.  I just dig the vibe of it...little different to me than other stuff they've done.  

For me, Nothing To Say and Under The Gun are definitely the weakest moments.  Still okay tunes but just weaker than the rest.  

There's a handful of absolutely classic melodic rockers though that will make for killer additions to their live set.  And Rise is absolutely a gem live as it's one people can easily get into.

And yes, some killer Dave Dalone solos on this that are all perfectly done.  It's just so great that he came back to the band.  Also, seems like Dave and Jona wrote most of the songs here so there's that too.  Erik kinda gets all the accolades as the frontman but the other guys clearly play big parts in the band.

Just a great return to form and I think they tried hard here to give the fans what they wanted after many complaints about the last album being too commercial, experimental or whatever. 

 

I do hate this 'return to form' phrase. personally I loved the last album and many tunes on that are better than some here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Geoff said:

'We are the gods' is defo a cool tune - I just need to get past those lyrics. Like I said, if I could see a bit of light heartedness in it I'd take it a lot better, but it sounds dead serious and therefore is just a bit of a toss to me. 

I tell you the solo that drives me absolutely insane - the 'Dangerous Ground' one. Sweet christ that is how to structure a guitar solo. Absolutely in love with that. 

The ballads are a shame because Erik's voice is so awesome and he sounds great on the ballads - they're just not their best songs by any means. 

PS. have you actually read the lyrics? It's a very anti God / Christian message. ie that there is no God and humans rule the universe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they are definitely NOT meaning that they the band are gods. if that's what is causing you trouble??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Glen said:

PS. have you actually read the lyrics? It's a very anti God / Christian message. ie that there is no God and humans rule the universe. 

That's how I interpeted these lyrics as well. bit unusual and obscure lyric topic for these guys...not least considering Jona Tee is a Christian from what I remember. or maybe I have him mixed up with some one else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Glen said:

I do hate this 'return to form' phrase. personally I loved the last album and many tunes on that are better than some here. 

Yeah, me too. By any other bands standards, "Into the Great Unknown" would have been a monster album. but just because it's H.E.A.T, people find things to whine about. I can't remember how many comments I've read on YouTube etc about how this record sucked, and how they've now "returned" to their roots.

Save for 2 or 3 songs, it wasn't an experimental album at all but 100% pure, classic H.E.A.T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, what this album is lacking is a few pure AOR numbers like they had on "Address the Nation" or "Freedom Rock". That is the missing piece that would have pushed this album over the top for me. I guess "Nothing To Say" is the closest to that here but it's more of a ballad of sorts...

Edited by Kim_Hp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glen said:

I do hate this 'return to form' phrase. personally I loved the last album and many tunes on that are better than some here. 

Agreed !

some of my favourite H.e.a.t songs on that album 

Edited by Gotthardline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep I agree. 'return to form' is more accurately described as return to Tearing Down The Walls sound which in itself was a step down overall from Address the Nation.......and Freedom Rock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Glen said:

rejected by Eclipse lol. What after some of the average stuff they released on the last album ;)

I'll take Victory over Viva La Victoria any day 

I actually like "Viva La Victoria" even if it is cheesy as heck. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye Dave and Jona were always the main writers, back on the first few albums.

We are gods is cack though. I've been skipping it every time I've listened to the album the last few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extensive listening to this album done. I love it. It's their best one yet. As I've said, I love the harder and heavier HEAT. The only song I don't like is Nothing To Say, but then I don't generally like ballads and have to be in s certain mood to like them, so I usually skip that one. 

Apart from that, there's not a filler on here. My favourites are all of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sirlemonhead said:

Aye Dave and Jona were always the main writers, back on the first few albums.

We are gods is cack though. I've been skipping it every time I've listened to the album the last few days.

We Are Gods seems to be the least popular song judging from comments elsewhere too. Personally I have no problem with it, but it certainly isn't one of the best tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Glen said:

they are definitely NOT meaning that they the band are gods. if that's what is causing you trouble??

 

20 hours ago, Glen said:

PS. have you actually read the lyrics? It's a very anti God / Christian message. ie that there is no God and humans rule the universe. 

Yeah, I'll admit straight out I haven't analysed the lyrics yet but I was getting the impression it was more a song about their supposed greatness than anything else. Fair enough if it's not. I must say, after a few more listens today, regardless of the lyrics, it and 'Under the gun' are easily my least favourite two songs on the album. Kind of loving the opener already and the ballad is a good song - just not as good as others.  

20 hours ago, Glen said:

I do hate this 'return to form' phrase. personally I loved the last album and many tunes on that are better than some here. 

Yeah, HEAT have never been out of form, imo. Some of their albums are a bit weaker than others, but all are extremely worthwhile in their own right. 

20 hours ago, Glen said:

except Eye of the Storm of course which is stunningly brilliant. 

also Redefined is a fine ballad of sorts 

Yeah, don't get me wrong. HEAT have good ballads, and some very good ones. But they are never the best, or even close to the best songs on their albums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last album didn't do much for me.  Outside of 2 or 3 tracks I rarely listen to it.  I much prefer the guitar driven style used on this one.  As far as the songs themselves, my favorites are similar to most: Dangerous Ground, Come Clean, One by One and Rise.  But really outside of "Rock Your Body" which has an annoying chorus and "Nothing To Say" which was just OK, I found the rest of the songs to all be either good or great.  Future spins will determine how it stacks up, but I'd be surprised if this is not in my top 5 come year end. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my favourites are We Are Gods and Adrenaline.....followed closely by the 4 singles.

Then the rest which would rank in the region 7.5 to 8.5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Glen said:

my favourites are We Are Gods and Adrenaline.....followed closely by the 4 singles.

Then the rest which would rank in the region 7.5 to 8.5 

Very interesting. 

'Dangerous Ground,' 'Come Clean,' 'One by One' and 'Heaven Must Have Won An Angel' are the clear standouts for me. 'Rise' not far behind.

'We are the Gods' at the bottom and 'Adrenaline' bottom half of the album. 

But. To each their own. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Very interesting. 

'Dangerous Ground,' 'Come Clean,' 'One by One' and 'Heaven Must Have Won An Angel' are the clear standouts for me. 'Rise' not far behind.

'We are the Gods' at the bottom and 'Adrenaline' bottom half of the album. 

But. To each their own. ;)

Heaven plods along goes nowhere does nothing. Quite bland to me.

Adrenaline is easily the mightiest hook on the whole album. permanently stuck in my head. The intro and verses are great too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting the tunes in order for me:

  1. Rise
  2. Come Clean
  3. One By One
  4. Dangerous Ground
  5. Adrenaline
  6. We Are Gods
  7. Heaven Must Have Won An Angel
  8. Rock Your Body
  9. Victory
  10. Nothing To Say
  11. Under The Gun

Now 1-4 would probably all be "10" songs for me and it's splitting hairs between them.  Songs 5-7 would all be in the 9-9.5 range as I still really dig them all but just a tiny notch below the first 4.  I'd probably put Rock Your Body and Victory as about 8.5 songs and the last two at 8.

Overall, just freaking love it.  I know it's probably too early to say it but If I had to list my favorite albums of the past 5 years, this would be a strong contender for #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for what it's worth, here's my take on HEAT after 5 listens.
I'll likely end up with 6 songs off the album.
As I originally posted upon my first listen, it's the second half of the disc that does it for me.
I've been ripping on it a bit, which has been a bit unfair, it probably should be interpreted more as me ripping on the love fest for this one.
It's a good album, but (for me) nothing like the porno mag replacement that it is for everyone else.

I rate withan A B C D E F system, where D isa song that isn't total shit, C is OK, B is good/great and A is an excellent song.
all these 90.256987564% ratings I still find pretty weird.
 

Rock Your Body – boring, repeated chorus with a bland monotone. Bridge is ok, but can’t make the song work for me. (D)

Dangerous Ground – “dangerous, dangerous ground” This was the best they could do? This may grow on me. I kinda hope it doesn’t, kind of like I was hoping Hide Your Heart lyrics wouldn’t, but they did. For now, a (C+)

Come Clean – This is a good song. I know it will continue to be a grower for me, hooks, tempo changes, melodies – ticks all my boxes. (A)

Victory – Again, the chorus “Vic tor ry!!!” The rest of the song is good, hopefully I can get past the boring chorus Imma go with a (B)

We Are Gods – AGAIN the chorus “WE…….. ARE….. GODS…..” I mean it’s an ok, song. Kind of is the Gene Simmons song on the album in that it has that thumping backbeat and it a little different to the rest of the vibe. (C)

Adrenaline – Can I get past the word “drenaline”? as in “my adrenaline, drenaline” if that isn’t bad enough, there is a lot of other repeating in this song. Weak. Good music can be undone with poor lyrics, and this is yet another example on this album (D+)

One By One – This is an ok song, one of the ones I’d be trying to decide if it’s a keeper or not. Nothing too special or new here, but a good rocker. I’ll probably keep it (B)

Nothing To Say – I like a ballad, and this is no exception (A)

Heaven Must Have Won An Angel – corny song title, smacks of weird Scandanavian band not realising that this was pretty bad 30 years ago, not it’s just cringe. Not sold on this song. I like the drop back to the drums and bass, build up, then it gets to what I’ve heard many times before which is a bit of a let down. I think it will grow more on me, so (B)

Under The Gun – This one has a bit of balls and it’s almost like it’s the first song they took a risk on and just went with it rather than allowing it to be rounded and produced. (A)

Rise – Probably the best song on the album (A)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Nothing To Say – I like a ballad, and this is no exception (A)

I like ballads, too. Not this one, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

So for what it's worth, here's my take on HEAT after 5 listens.
I'll likely end up with 6 songs off the album.
As I originally posted upon my first listen, it's the second half of the disc that does it for me.
I've been ripping on it a bit, which has been a bit unfair, it probably should be interpreted more as me ripping on the love fest for this one.
It's a good album, but (for me) nothing like the porno mag replacement that it is for everyone else.

I rate withan A B C D E F system, where D isa song that isn't total shit, C is OK, B is good/great and A is an excellent song.
all these 90.256987564% ratings I still find pretty weird.
 

Rock Your Body – boring, repeated chorus with a bland monotone. Bridge is ok, but can’t make the song work for me. (D)

Dangerous Ground – “dangerous, dangerous ground” This was the best they could do? This may grow on me. I kinda hope it doesn’t, kind of like I was hoping Hide Your Heart lyrics wouldn’t, but they did. For now, a (C+)

Come Clean – This is a good song. I know it will continue to be a grower for me, hooks, tempo changes, melodies – ticks all my boxes. (A)

Victory – Again, the chorus “Vic tor ry!!!” The rest of the song is good, hopefully I can get past the boring chorus Imma go with a (B)

We Are Gods – AGAIN the chorus “WE…….. ARE….. GODS…..” I mean it’s an ok, song. Kind of is the Gene Simmons song on the album in that it has that thumping backbeat and it a little different to the rest of the vibe. (C)

Adrenaline – Can I get past the word “drenaline”? as in “my adrenaline, drenaline” if that isn’t bad enough, there is a lot of other repeating in this song. Weak. Good music can be undone with poor lyrics, and this is yet another example on this album (D+)

One By One – This is an ok song, one of the ones I’d be trying to decide if it’s a keeper or not. Nothing too special or new here, but a good rocker. I’ll probably keep it (B)

Nothing To Say – I like a ballad, and this is no exception (A)

Heaven Must Have Won An Angel – corny song title, smacks of weird Scandanavian band not realising that this was pretty bad 30 years ago, not it’s just cringe. Not sold on this song. I like the drop back to the drums and bass, build up, then it gets to what I’ve heard many times before which is a bit of a let down. I think it will grow more on me, so (B)

Under The Gun – This one has a bit of balls and it’s almost like it’s the first song they took a risk on and just went with it rather than allowing it to be rounded and produced. (A)

Rise – Probably the best song on the album (A)

if you give each track a score out of 10 and divide by the number of tracks you generally get a decimal point. It's not a difficult concept ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that would have improved the album is the running order of some tracks. “Rise” which is a top favourite for many should have been the opener and “Rock Your Body” which is unanimously accepted as the weakest track should have been buried in the middle somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Glen said:

if you give each track a score out of 10 and divide by the number of tracks you generally get a decimal point. It's not a difficult concept ;)

 

Still a stupid concept to me.
Just stick with shit, ok, good, great, excellent an d on RARE occasions, perfect
How anyone can say, "oh, this one is a 9.75 and the next track is a 9.8" is just weird
Sometimes people like to be so specialist and expert in these things. I don't profess to be, I simply like what I like.

I get an album, then I listen to it, cut out the shit and save the good songs.
A good album for me has at least 50% tracks I like enough not to throw to the curb.
But then I'm just as happy to find 3 killer tracks only off a 12 track album and save them, disgarding the 9.

All about saving the music I like and want to hear again without wasting my time on shittier songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Posts

    • Good point Jacob. I think the author even agrees with you, actually (for the most part). The very first sentence of the book reads: "I have a confession to make . . . I hate the term hair metal. Don’t get me wrong; I love hair metal music; I just hate the term." The book then goes on to state the moniker "hair metal" is only used because, right or wrong, it is the clearest universal identifier for this type of music. That and the fact that the term has become much less pejorative over the years and more of a happy and nostalgic reference.
    • The opening to "Idiocracy" says it all.    
    • I dunno. They're all preparing for some kind of apocalypse. But if there is an apocalypse it'll happen at the hands of those motherfuckers.  As for the morons, the problem is low-income, unschooled people usually breed more low-income, unschooled people. And they breed a lot. And, while that doesn't necessarily guarantee those people will be morons, most morons come from that pool. Conversely, wealthy, educated, and successful people are typically too busy to have children, or may only have one, so the morons outnumber the intelligent.  There's obviously more to it than that, but that's a big part of the issue. The "virus" to target the morons is simply better education. 
    • So what's the thought process behind buying all this weaponry? They going to shoot the Corona Virus? Or they're going to need weapons to raid stores for food? Or to steal food from their neighbour? Or to defend themselves against people doing this to them? Fucking people, hey? Who the fuck would have 'em at all? When will there be a virus targeting morons and morons alone?   
    • I don't know if I shared this here already, but a buddy of mine works at a Cabela's (camping, hiking, hunting gear store) and he said firearm sales have gone through the roof. And if folks don't have a gun license, they'll walk out with a bow. Oh, and I've been told that domestic violence has increased during this time, too. I hear sirens almost constantly. Just wonderful. 
    • This is in the Flamefest section so I just want to revisit the hoarder / panic buyers.  I've heard a lot of people kind of excusing them, making comments like "they're panic buying 'cause they're scared" and "we all react to this in our own way" etc. I really take issue with this because, what, everyone else who goes to buy every day items and can't anymore aren't scared? Being scared means it's okay to metaphorically fuck your fellow human in the anus with a crowbar?  I'll be honest. I don't give a fuck if they're scared. That's no excuse to act like a fucking moron cunt and take away from, and inconvenience everyone else. Because these cunts have taken and are still taking everything, people like my parents, who are in the vulnerable age group, now spend half their week going from shop to shop, potentially exposing themselves to this virus multiple more times over, just because people are fucking morons and can't get it through their stupid, moronic fucked up skulls that if we'd all been reasonable from the start, we wouldn't be short of anything.  Fucking cunts. Anyway, that's a bit delayed. But still relevant because of the shit you can't buy anymore.  And okay, let's make some enemies. People will hate me for this, but fuck. People blaming the leader of their country for not getting this thing perfect. Fuck's sake. Yes, a lot of people have fucked up but what makes people so sure they'd have got it right if they were in their position? Or if the political opposition that they voted for would have a lower bodycount on their hands?  It should never have been all of our problem anyway. If you need to blame someone for the state of the fucking place right now, look where it came from and how it got out to the rest of the world. There's a reasonable place to aim your anger. Are people as brutal towards the leaders in Italy and Spain and France as they are towards Trump? I don't know, maybe they are. I wouldn't know because all you ever hear is Trump bashing.  For the record, I don't give a flying fuck about US politics and don't have strong opinions on Trump... but fuck. A lot of people got their response to this thing wrong and we're all paying for it now in some way. Donald Trump isn't the only human on earth who got it wrong. Anyway, I don't know enough or care enough about world politics to get tied up in it all, but it's just my observation as an outsider.  China and the way they let this take over the entire world are the issue here. The leaders of our countries have not faced something like this any more than we have and I just not a fan of people being crucified by heroes with the wisdom of hindsight. For the record, I've had thoughts on how I thought things should have been done here and there, but never once been critical personally of what Scott Morrison (Aussie PM) is doing, even if I don't understand some of it. But whatever he's doing, and whatever bits he gets right of wrong, the guy's just doing what he can in a situation that's immeasurably fucked up. These guys don't want to see their people dying anymore than we do, and it'd be a decent touch to see people - christ forbid - show a bit of patriotism and do their bit to help their country get through this shit, rather than constantly bashing their president/leader. Jesus Christ and God n' stuff, the creator of all things (thank you for this one, Jesus), knows this thing's going to drag out for a hell of a long time.   And that's my rant for the evening. 
    • Silly Fools is a good shout. 'Prepare the Masses' by A Change Of Pace, 'Paper Walls' by Yellowcard and 'Love Drunk' by Boys Like Girls are three of my other favourites from this era. 
    • Seems fair. Probably the right time to overthrow the government. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.