Jump to content
Stefan

Michael Sweet - Ten

Recommended Posts

New lyric video for 'Shine'.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Really? Just 'cause Fulkerson basically wrote that album for him, and he (and Blue Tears' trademark sound) is all over that album. 

I guess at this point in the conversation I should admit to have never listening to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

 

I was never a big fan of Stryper, so I figured I wouldn't like his solo stuff either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I guess at this point in the conversation I should admit to have never listening to it. 

lol. Creep. You really are. Support your fellow christian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Geoff said:

lol. Creep. You really are. Support your fellow christian. 

Fuck that. I don't support Christians simply for being Christian. A lot of them do and say stoopid shit, that doesn't actually line up with the book they claim to read. Like the way Michael behaves online. I'll still laugh at it though, 'cause I find the irony funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Really? Just 'cause Fulkerson basically wrote that album for him, and he (and Blue Tears' trademark sound) is all over that album. 

Well at least one of the songs was originally a Blue Tears song, "Forever yours". And to be honest, as much as I love Blue Tears, I do think the Sweet version is actually better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I guess at this point in the conversation I should admit to have never listening to it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

 

Michael Sweet version definitely better as is. But both given the full studio treatment at the same time, I'd have backed Blue Tears in. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The version that was released on Dancin on the back streets was much better than that YouTube version, but I still go for the Sweet version of this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The version that was released on Dancin on the back streets was much better than that YouTube version, but I still go for the Sweet version of this.

 

Yeah, I don't really like the version on 'Dancin' On the Back Streets' either. Shame, because as evidenced by Michael Sweet, it's a good tune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Geoff said:

Yeah, I don't really like the version on 'Dancin' On the Back Streets' either. Shame, because as evidenced by Michael Sweet, it's a good tune. 

I think regardless of what we may or may not think of Sweet, he knows all about putting on a big performance and probably had a hand in the reworking of the tune to make it "huge".

Prett much the same deal with Angel in black by Bangalore Choir which pisses all over the Autograph version. While the Autograph version is just a demo, even with a better production it would still lack the oomph of the BC version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New lyric video for 'Ten'.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird song, weird vocals, boring and contrite.
Hope MS doesn't see these comments #livinginfear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New lyric video for 'Son of Man feat. Todd LaTorre & Andy James'.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week on social media, Michael posted something about how different things are now days with reactions to new album releases, and about how fans would get excited back in the day and now its just accepted (or something to that effect).

For me this goes back to what I said last time Stryper released an album, and that I have serious Michael Sweet burn out to the point all the songs just sound so so to me. The fact he has just announced there will be a new Stryper album next year reinforces this for me.

Yes in the early days of Stryper they were releasing an album a year, which was normal for bands in the early to mid 80s, after a while the whole industry moved into at least a bi-yearly release, which for me often made for a better release as the albums just did not feel rushed and you were not over loaded with material by a band. With Sweet now, between Stryper, his solo albums and projects like Sweet/Lynch he is just releasing to damn much material and for me the quality is suffering. I have not even bought the last Stryper or Sweet solo albums because nothing from them has excited me, and the albums before that left me cold as well.

The fact that he is now wittering on about how great "Take it to the cross" was, and that the chorus was the best part, tells me just how up his own arse that bloke is these days. He is also saying that the new Stryper album will have lots of "experimenting" on it, kinda tells me that from here on in I am gonna buy Stryper albums only when I can find them cheap. And this is coming from someone who loved the sound on Reborn and Murder by pride over the later "classic" sounding albums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Last week on social media, Michael posted something about how different things are now days with reactions to new album releases, and about how fans would get excited back in the day and now its just accepted (or something to that effect).

For me this goes back to what I said last time Stryper released an album, and that I have serious Michael Sweet burn out to the point all the songs just sound so so to me. The fact he has just announced there will be a new Stryper album next year reinforces this for me.

Yes in the early days of Stryper they were releasing an album a year, which was normal for bands in the early to mid 80s, after a while the whole industry moved into at least a bi-yearly release, which for me often made for a better release as the albums just did not feel rushed and you were not over loaded with material by a band. With Sweet now, between Stryper, his solo albums and projects like Sweet/Lynch he is just releasing to damn much material and for me the quality is suffering. I have not even bought the last Stryper or Sweet solo albums because nothing from them has excited me, and the albums before that left me cold as well.

The fact that he is now wittering on about how great "Take it to the cross" was, and that the chorus was the best part, tells me just how up his own arse that bloke is these days. He is also saying that the new Stryper album will have lots of "experimenting" on it, kinda tells me that from here on in I am gonna buy Stryper albums only when I can find them cheap. And this is coming from someone who loved the sound on Reborn and Murder by pride over the later "classic" sounding albums.

Yeah, a lot of sense in that. I get why an artist wants to be involved in as much as they can because ideally for them this translates into more money too. Ideally. And it's a different world in 2019 than it was in 1989. Sadly, though, it is the quality of the music that suffers most in the end. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is other reasons too, such as the internet, shrinking fan base, youth vs age etc, but I do think that if you look at it, when a band like Guns N Roses or Metallica releases an album, its a big deal because of how infrequent their albums are (regardless of the quality), and fans will tend to get more excited. If you release an album every year it just becomes something you expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm assuming they've split up and disappeared by now, but the one band within "our genre" that would still bring strong anticipation from me would be Wigelius. Or Danger Danger. :) But yeah, leaving the fans waiting isn't a bad thing, within reason. As long as there is definite new music on the horizon... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. It does not matter what kinda scale the band is on as far as fanbase size, you leave a sizeable gap between releases or do some kind of reformation, it will create more buzz than releasing stuff all the time.

Imagine how big a deal it would be if Cinderella, Slaughter or Skid Row (with Seb) announced tomorrow that they are working on a new album.

Hell, for fans like me, if Jettblack reformed and said a new album is on the way, I would be super fucking stoked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Geoff said:

the one band within "our genre" that would still bring strong anticipation from me would be Wigelius. Or Danger Danger. :) 

Holy shit, yes! Wigelius had better be working on something. And I'm not talking about him producing someone else's album. 

And rumours of a new Danger Danger album would make any of us wet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Imagine how big a deal it would be if Cinderella, Slaughter or Skid Row (with Seb) announced tomorrow that they are working on a new album.

It would be a big deal, but would we necessarily want it? 

New Cinderella? I'd be hesitant. 

New Slaughter? Maybe. 

New Skid Row with Seb? Yes! I believe they could pull it off with him at the helm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Holy shit, yes! Wigelius had better be working on something. And I'm not talking about him producing someone else's album. 

And rumours of a new Danger Danger album would make any of us wet. 

I had a look at the Wigelius FB page last night when I made that post. It had been inactive since about 2016 or something, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume they're past tense. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

It would be a big deal, but would we necessarily want it? 

New Cinderella? I'd be hesitant. 

New Slaughter? Maybe. 

New Skid Row with Seb? Yes! I believe they could pull it off with him at the helm. 

People have been asking for a new Cinderella album for years. I even remember when Portrait apparently signed them back around the same time they signed Ratt (1999 or so), and the hype was very real, and for years after  that people were bemoaning what might have been. Just because Toms most recent album is divisive, does not mean people would not love another Cinderella album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Posts

    • Been giving this a little thought....Think my top 5 is pretty strong but the next 5 are all just pretty average releases that probably wouldn't even make my top 10 in some other years. Not sure on the order of my top 3 yet but will be Crazy Lixx, Defiants and Pretty Maids in some order.  Then likely Eclipse and Degreed rounding out the top 5. Next 5 in some order are probably Station, Nitrate, Roxy Blue, Tesla and Saints of Sin.  I still might try to go back and check out some stuff I've missed from this year though so this "next 5" could easily change. 
    • Good stuff! Order CD here (just C$5.00 + postage): https://www.rockwithplayhouse.com/product-page/playhouse-the-rock-n-roll-circus        
    • Hard Rock band from México! Band members.- Lead vocals: Andres Espada Lead Guitar: Jose Mesta Rhythm Gtr: Firio Verastegui Bass: Daniel Mesta Drums: Sergio Mtz facebook      
    • From Frontiers: Waiting For Monday is a new melodic rock band formed by vocalist Rudy Cardenas and guitarist/singer August Zadra. The band hails from Los Angeles and was brought to the attention of Frontiers by Jeff Scott Soto, with the label moving quickly to sign them based on their outstanding talents. Musically, you can expect classic chart topping melodies ala Journey, Styx, and Foreigner, but with a decidedly modern approach. And if you are looking for sunny, meaningless lyrics, then you probably best look elsewhere as the band has stories to tell, and not all of them happy. Originally from Venezuela, Rudy Cardenas is an incredibile vocal talent. His pipes carriedd him to the finals on Season 6 of American Idol and he has been heard on TV and movies ranging from Family Guy to Real Steel. For five years, Rudy was the power alto for the multi-award winning vocal group, M-pact, who was named Vocal Group of the Year at the 2005 L.A. Music Awards. More recently, Rudy was the featured vocalist for the Gold-selling Hungarian rock album by Mr. Zsolt. August Zadra is best known for handling lead guitar and vocal duties in iconic singer Dennis DeYoung's solo band since 2010. Since the age of 15, guitar playing has been a passion that carried August from Fairbanks, Alaska to Hollywood, California, where he attended and graduated from the Guitar Institute of Technology. He has been a regular feature in the Los Angeles music scene for the past 20 years, playing with a variety of bands, and is often sought out as a guitarist/vocalist collaborator for writing and recording projects. Completing the lineup are Joe Travers (drums), Walter Ino (guitar and keyboards), and Eric Baines (bass). Their exciting debut record is now ready to be shared with the world.  Tracklist: 1. Until The Dawn 2. End Of A Dream 3. Shattered Lives 4. Found You Now 5. Right In Front Of You 6. Must Have Been 7. Pick Your Lies 8. Inside Your Head 9. Make It Better 10. Love You Forever 11. One More Round   facebook      
    • New video for 'Promised Land'.    
    • I don't think I have ever heard of Sleeper before. Will check them out. The Cranberries?.. Hmmm no, I don't agree. Pale Waves has that synthwave feel, and a bit of pop rock sound to their songs as opposed to The Cranberries which sound like a mixture of alternative and folk rock imo.
    • Remind a bit of the band Sleeper from years ago and a bit of Cranberries thrown in.not my cuppa tea but I can see where some may like this.
    • Argh! On one hand I love that the forum brings stuff like this to my ears, but on the other hand I hate knowing stuff like this is out there and I'd not ever know about it, if not for this chance thread.  Absolutely love what I'm hearing there. I'm going to check this one out with intense immediacy. 
    • my top 10 will be pretty strong....after that the quality drops off a cliff. Mind you I suppose in 2019 we should be glad of 10 great melodic rock releases. It could be worse....it could be the mid to late 90s  
    • Was looking back and actually forgotten quite a few that were released this year. It’s hard to think of a single album that I keep going back to time and time again.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.