Michael Sweet - Ten

Stefan

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Really? Just 'cause Fulkerson basically wrote that album for him, and he (and Blue Tears' trademark sound) is all over that album. 

I guess at this point in the conversation I should admit to have never listening to it. 

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I was never a big fan of Stryper, so I figured I wouldn't like his solo stuff either. 

17 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I guess at this point in the conversation I should admit to have never listening to it. 

lol. Creep. You really are. Support your fellow christian. 

• My Little Pony
59 minutes ago, Geoff said:

lol. Creep. You really are. Support your fellow christian. 

Fuck that. I don't support Christians simply for being Christian. A lot of them do and say stoopid shit, that doesn't actually line up with the book they claim to read. Like the way Michael behaves online. I'll still laugh at it though, 'cause I find the irony funny. 

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Really? Just 'cause Fulkerson basically wrote that album for him, and he (and Blue Tears' trademark sound) is all over that album. 

Well at least one of the songs was originally a Blue Tears song, "Forever yours". And to be honest, as much as I love Blue Tears, I do think the Sweet version is actually better.

15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Michael Sweet version definitely better as is. But both given the full studio treatment at the same time, I'd have backed Blue Tears in. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The version that was released on Dancin on the back streets was much better than that YouTube version, but I still go for the Sweet version of this.

Yeah, I don't really like the version on 'Dancin' On the Back Streets' either. Shame, because as evidenced by Michael Sweet, it's a good tune. 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Geoff said:

Yeah, I don't really like the version on 'Dancin' On the Back Streets' either. Shame, because as evidenced by Michael Sweet, it's a good tune. 

I think regardless of what we may or may not think of Sweet, he knows all about putting on a big performance and probably had a hand in the reworking of the tune to make it "huge".

Prett much the same deal with Angel in black by Bangalore Choir which pisses all over the Autograph version. While the Autograph version is just a demo, even with a better production it would still lack the oomph of the BC version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last week on social media, Michael posted something about how different things are now days with reactions to new album releases, and about how fans would get excited back in the day and now its just accepted (or something to that effect).

For me this goes back to what I said last time Stryper released an album, and that I have serious Michael Sweet burn out to the point all the songs just sound so so to me. The fact he has just announced there will be a new Stryper album next year reinforces this for me.

Yes in the early days of Stryper they were releasing an album a year, which was normal for bands in the early to mid 80s, after a while the whole industry moved into at least a bi-yearly release, which for me often made for a better release as the albums just did not feel rushed and you were not over loaded with material by a band. With Sweet now, between Stryper, his solo albums and projects like Sweet/Lynch he is just releasing to damn much material and for me the quality is suffering. I have not even bought the last Stryper or Sweet solo albums because nothing from them has excited me, and the albums before that left me cold as well.

The fact that he is now wittering on about how great "Take it to the cross" was, and that the chorus was the best part, tells me just how up his own arse that bloke is these days. He is also saying that the new Stryper album will have lots of "experimenting" on it, kinda tells me that from here on in I am gonna buy Stryper albums only when I can find them cheap. And this is coming from someone who loved the sound on Reborn and Murder by pride over the later "classic" sounding albums.

17 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Last week on social media, Michael posted something about how different things are now days with reactions to new album releases, and about how fans would get excited back in the day and now its just accepted (or something to that effect).

For me this goes back to what I said last time Stryper released an album, and that I have serious Michael Sweet burn out to the point all the songs just sound so so to me. The fact he has just announced there will be a new Stryper album next year reinforces this for me.

Yes in the early days of Stryper they were releasing an album a year, which was normal for bands in the early to mid 80s, after a while the whole industry moved into at least a bi-yearly release, which for me often made for a better release as the albums just did not feel rushed and you were not over loaded with material by a band. With Sweet now, between Stryper, his solo albums and projects like Sweet/Lynch he is just releasing to damn much material and for me the quality is suffering. I have not even bought the last Stryper or Sweet solo albums because nothing from them has excited me, and the albums before that left me cold as well.

The fact that he is now wittering on about how great "Take it to the cross" was, and that the chorus was the best part, tells me just how up his own arse that bloke is these days. He is also saying that the new Stryper album will have lots of "experimenting" on it, kinda tells me that from here on in I am gonna buy Stryper albums only when I can find them cheap. And this is coming from someone who loved the sound on Reborn and Murder by pride over the later "classic" sounding albums.

Yeah, a lot of sense in that. I get why an artist wants to be involved in as much as they can because ideally for them this translates into more money too. Ideally. And it's a different world in 2019 than it was in 1989. Sadly, though, it is the quality of the music that suffers most in the end. :(

I think there is other reasons too, such as the internet, shrinking fan base, youth vs age etc, but I do think that if you look at it, when a band like Guns N Roses or Metallica releases an album, its a big deal because of how infrequent their albums are (regardless of the quality), and fans will tend to get more excited. If you release an album every year it just becomes something you expect.

Yeah, I'm assuming they've split up and disappeared by now, but the one band within "our genre" that would still bring strong anticipation from me would be Wigelius. Or Danger Danger. :) But yeah, leaving the fans waiting isn't a bad thing, within reason. As long as there is definite new music on the horizon... 

Yup. It does not matter what kinda scale the band is on as far as fanbase size, you leave a sizeable gap between releases or do some kind of reformation, it will create more buzz than releasing stuff all the time.

Imagine how big a deal it would be if Cinderella, Slaughter or Skid Row (with Seb) announced tomorrow that they are working on a new album.

Hell, for fans like me, if Jettblack reformed and said a new album is on the way, I would be super fucking stoked.

• My Little Pony
10 hours ago, Geoff said:

the one band within "our genre" that would still bring strong anticipation from me would be Wigelius. Or Danger Danger. :) 

Holy shit, yes! Wigelius had better be working on something. And I'm not talking about him producing someone else's album. 

And rumours of a new Danger Danger album would make any of us wet. 

• My Little Pony
7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Imagine how big a deal it would be if Cinderella, Slaughter or Skid Row (with Seb) announced tomorrow that they are working on a new album.

It would be a big deal, but would we necessarily want it? 

New Cinderella? I'd be hesitant. 

New Slaughter? Maybe. 

New Skid Row with Seb? Yes! I believe they could pull it off with him at the helm. 

9 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Holy shit, yes! Wigelius had better be working on something. And I'm not talking about him producing someone else's album. 

And rumours of a new Danger Danger album would make any of us wet. 

I had a look at the Wigelius FB page last night when I made that post. It had been inactive since about 2016 or something, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume they're past tense. :( 

17 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

It would be a big deal, but would we necessarily want it? 

New Cinderella? I'd be hesitant. 

New Slaughter? Maybe. 

New Skid Row with Seb? Yes! I believe they could pull it off with him at the helm. 

People have been asking for a new Cinderella album for years. I even remember when Portrait apparently signed them back around the same time they signed Ratt (1999 or so), and the hype was very real, and for years after  that people were bemoaning what might have been. Just because Toms most recent album is divisive, does not mean people would not love another Cinderella album.