Nitrate - Open Wide

Crazysam

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Ordered this direct from AOR Heaven earlier today,its already been posted so fingers crossed I have it by the weekend...that'd be nice...to sit at home looking out at the rain...but its summer inside with a cold Rockshore beer and some damn fine tunes :drink:

LOL.....Ordered myself from AOR Heaven also this morning and got an email it was shipped.  Will take awhile longer to reach me in the US but should still have it well ahead of the "official" 6/21 release date.

Very high probability I'm really going to like this one based upon the songs we've heard :headbanger:

Mine arrived this morning...alas I haven't got it yet as our arsehole postman must of hid and waited for me to go out after lunch before letting me know he'd been and I would have to collect from my local sorting office tomorrow :ahole:

51 minutes ago, lettard said:

Mine arrived this morning...alas I haven't got it yet as our arsehole postman must of hid and waited for me to go out after lunch before letting me know he'd been and I would have to collect from my local sorting office tomorrow :ahole:

Mine arrived today :)

For my tastes it's freaking fantastic.  Basically just follows the style of the first two Midnite City albums.  

Definitely a little bit of an edgier feel to it than the debut IMO.  

I'd say the videos above are an excellent representation of the album as a whole....Just full of stuff like that. 

I need more listens to let it really sink in but initially I'd say the songs that stood out to me on my first run through were You Want It, You Got It, Night Time City, Only A Heartache Away, Heart Go Wild and In the Night.

Either way, very solid release and for my ears, I'm feeling initially like this is the second best thing I've heard so far this year behind Crazy Lixx.

Edited by tts42572

(Sorry, posted on the wrong thread!)

I'm late to the party on Crazy Lixx...can somebody throw together a ranking of their cds?  I usually go on to YouTube to listen to songs, then if i like, I will go buy...

Edited by Y&TForever
posted on wrong thread

19 minutes ago, Y&TForever said:

(Sorry, posted on the wrong thread!)

I'm late to the party on Crazy Lixx...can somebody throw together a ranking of their cds?  I usually go on to YouTube to listen to songs, then if i like, I will go buy...

Depends on your tastes....will likely get different rankings from everyone lol.

For me, I'd rank them:

Forever Wild 

Ruff Justice

New Religion

Crazy Lixx (Self-titled)

Loud Minority

Riot Avenue

For me they're all great though.  Riot Avenue is one that I didn't care much for initially but it's raw sound makes it different than the others and I've found it growing on me.

3 way tie for top spot
New Religion, Ruff Justice, Forever Wild
Crazy Lixx
Loud Minority
Riot Avenue

Come on guys that debut is still awesome!!

tnh there's about 5%-10% between the top 4

Ruff Justice

New Religion

Loud Minority

Forever Wild

Riot Avenue

s/t

Had to LOL at these low placings of Loud Minority! The vinyl is great with the bonuses and instant erection. I love it so much that I decided to keep my Japanese pressing of the cd.  It's a shame,btw, that FRR doesn't bother with vinyl versions OF RJ and FW. 

Nitrate is also a by-product of thunders in the troposphere, lol. They surely took that name from fertilizers to make fun of the olde Malthusian fears. :lol:

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Come on guys that debut is still awesome!!

tnh there's about 5%-10% between the top 4

Totally agree,Loud Minority may be 4th on my list but its a great album and songs like Heroes Are Forever,Dr Hollywood & Hell Or High Water are what drew my attention to them in the first place, its great to see them still around and releasing top quality material.

Edited by lettard

Back on topic...my Nitrate finally made its way into my grubby mits...

Couple of spins in and very very good,Midnite City in a different wrapper.Apart from the already released tracks these guys firmly wear their influences on their collective sleeves..In The Night(Poison) Bad Girls(Bon Jovi) & Shot In The Dark(Def Leppard) to name but a few.There is also a re-recording of Waiting On You with the new vocalist...he does a great job throughout...top listen to my ears.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lettard said:

Back on topic...my Nitrate finally made its way into my grubby mits...

Couple of spins in and very very good,Midnite City in a different wrapper.Apart from the already released tracks these guys firmly wear their influences on their collective sleeves..In The Night(Poison) Bad Girls(Bon Jovi) & Shot In The Dark(Def Leppard) to name but a few.There is also a re-recording of Waiting On You with the new vocalist...he does a great job throughout...top listen to my ears.

Waiting for Nick to get the Japanese version cds and place bl;indly my order!

• 2 weeks later...

Mighty one! Perhaps better than  MC :o  It's the end of the month when cash flow is slow, yet I managed to keep a lovely bottle of champagne for this instance! Melodic bubbles collapsing from hydrostatic prerssure under the influence of Nitrate's hooks!

I listened to it this morning. very good. basically a new Midnite City album :)

a couple of throw away tracks but overall a cracker. should be a strong contender for a top 10 placing this year 

Just got my copy from NEH.  Okay, on first spin, it's good...need more listens.  I will say that Bad Girls might be one of the worst songs I have heard in a while...

I think I am just ruined by Eclipse.   I compare everything to their stuff and there's no competition.....

Comparing Eclipse to Nitrate is like comparing Van Halen to Poison or Guns N Roses to Aerosmith. 

Yes both are rock bands....but it pretty much ends there. 

5 hours ago, Y&TForever said:

Just got my copy from NEH.  Okay, on first spin, it's good...need more listens.  I will say that Bad Girls might be one of the worst songs I have heard in a while...

I think I am just ruined by Eclipse.   I compare everything to their stuff and there's no competition.....

That's like comparing apples and oranges. 

But yeah I agree on Bad Girls. It's a throwaway track.

LOL....Yeah, tough comparing this and Eclipse.  

What I've found this year though is that I'm having a tough time getting Crazy Lixx out of my player.  Not comparing this to that though :)

As for Nitrate, I do like it quite a bit.  I do feel like the first half is much stronger than the second half though.  I really like the first 4-5 songs, then Never Surrender and Heartbreak Suicide are okay tunes but not overly exciting me.  I do like In The Night quite a bit and then Bad Girls is my least favorite song on this and a definite throw away tune.  The last tune Shot In The Dark is okay.

Good album though and I definitely like the sound better with the new singer.  At this point in time it's still my second favorite thing this year but it'll likely have a tough time staying there with all the stuff yet to come.  I'd expect it makes my top 10 though. 

lol... well, there's gotta be one guy. I actually like 'Bad Girls.' Yeah, it's banal as heck, but a good catchy melodic rock song for sure. I'm into it. The only song I don't like is 'In the night.' That's a pretty weak ballad but the rest it very enjoyable. I agree the first half is much better than the second half. 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

lol... well, there's gotta be one guy. I actually like 'Bad Girls.' Yeah, it's banal as heck, but a good catchy melodic rock song for sure. I'm into it. The only song I don't like is 'In the night.' That's a pretty weak ballad but the rest it very enjoyable. I agree the first half is much better than the second half. 

Bad Girls is a fun song