Passion - s/t

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason Amazon is not getting the CD to me til the 28th, but thankfully I have just been able to download the digital version to tide me over. So at 2am  I am sitting here listening to what is a fucking great album.

Loving every song so far.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:43 AM, Glen said:

it's pretty good but not sure on replay value. 

Gave this a listen last night and admit is was sort of a half-hearted listen while doing other stuff.....But above kinda summed up my initial feeling...

Sounds decent but songs just didn't overly grab me for whatever reason and not really feeling a big urge to re-listen.  Kinda reminds me in a way how I felt about that Brink album last year when I listened to that.  That was decent enough too but just didn't engage me.

I'll probably give this another spin or two just to see what happens though. 

Listened to this a few times today and I must say I agree with Captain Howdy...fucking great stuff...really enjoying it,it just sounds so good and a proper feel good 80's hard cd(still reminds me of Jagged Edge) rock,not a ballad in sight...although the new Revoultion Saints(also listened today) more than makes up for that  :)

On 1/24/2020 at 2:03 PM, tts42572 said:

Gave this a listen last night and admit is was sort of a half-hearted listen while doing other stuff.....But above kinda summed up my initial feeling...

Sounds decent but songs just didn't overly grab me for whatever reason and not really feeling a big urge to re-listen.  Kinda reminds me in a way how I felt about that Brink album last year when I listened to that.  That was decent enough too but just didn't engage me.

I'll probably give this another spin or two just to see what happens though. 

yeah do cos it's very good indeed.

surprised the hell out of me actually. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, lettard said:

Listened to this a few times today and I must say I agree with Captain Howdy...fucking great stuff...really enjoying it,it just sounds so good and a proper feel good 80's hard cd(still reminds me of Jagged Edge) rock,not a ballad in sight...although the new Revoultion Saints(also listened today) more than makes up for that  :)

rev Saints is awesome though. 

loving Passion too. 

21 hours ago, Glen said:

rev Saints is awesome though. 

loving Passion too. 

totally agree dude, both Passion and Rev Saints are top class...if I could write songs & play music(properly) Passion is how I would like it to sound  :)

Edited by lettard

Gave this a spin this morning and I agree with the positive comments.  A very enjoyable album.  My initial favorites are "Intensity", " Lost In the Dark" and "Back".  But there really aren't any weak tracks.  As others have mentioned, lots of recognizable influences from late 80's/early 90's artists.  I heard aspects that reminded me of D2, Jagged Edge and Cinderella.  Time will tell how well it holds up after repeated listens, but for now I anticipate this being a contender for my top 10 of 2020.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:00 PM, Glen said:

yeah do cos it's very good indeed.

surprised the hell out of me actually. 

Tried it again with full attention and I don't know why....But this is really doing very little for me. 

Musically it sounds great...drums, guitars sound excellent.  But for some reason just not very catchy or memorable overall to me.  The choruses just aren't hooking me much.  And not sure I'm into the vocals all that much either.  He's okay but his screech in a few spots is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  

Bit of a head scratcher as it feels like something I should like and I see many others really liking it but just not clicking with me.  I'll probably revisit in the future....Maybe I'm just not in the right mood right now or something lol.  

27 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Tried it again with full attention and I don't know why....But this is really doing very little for me. 

Musically it sounds great...drums, guitars sound excellent.  But for some reason just not very catchy or memorable overall to me.  The choruses just aren't hooking me much.  And not sure I'm into the vocals all that much either.  He's okay but his screech in a few spots is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  

Bit of a head scratcher as it feels like something I should like and I see many others really liking it but just not clicking with me.  I'll probably revisit in the future....Maybe I'm just not in the right mood right now or something lol.  

after one full listen it isn't doing an awful lot for me either 

• My Little Pony
On 1/25/2020 at 5:28 PM, lettard said:

totally agree dude, both Passion and Rev Saints are top class...if I could write songs & play music(properly) Passion is how I would like it to sound  :)

I've been out of it. I didn't realise both had been released. Got some homework tonight. 

30 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I've been out of it. I didn't realise both had been released. Got some homework tonight. 

Yeah both are well worth swotting up on  :)

Edited by lettard

I was really interested to hear this given the split opinions above and I was sure I'd be on the For team, but gotta admit, I'm kinda on the Against squad too. Sadly. As noted, production and musicianship is top notch, but I confess, I was expecting something a lot more "commercial"/melodic sounding. I was very surprised to hear one plodding rocker after another.

The trio of 'Trespass on Love,' 'Too Bad for Baby' and 'Lost in the Dark,' in that order, are easily the best the album has to offer. Sadly, after that fourth song the album just nosedives into really average hard rock territory. I don't think I heard a single hook for the rest of the album. :(

Massive shame as I wanted to love the shit out of this, but disappointed with the direction it took. I hope they make another album, but opt for something far catchier and melodic. Not so bland. 

10 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I was really interested to hear this given the split opinions above and I was sure I'd be on the For team, but gotta admit, I'm kinda on the Against squad too. Sadly. As noted, production and musicianship is top notch, but I confess, I was expecting something a lot more "commercial"/melodic sounding. I was very surprised to hear one plodding rocker after another.

The trio of 'Trespass on Love,' 'Too Bad for Baby' and 'Lost in the Dark,' in that order, are easily the best the album has to offer. Sadly, after that fourth song the album just nosedives into really average hard rock territory. I don't think I heard a single hook for the rest of the album. :(

Massive shame as I wanted to love the shit out of this, but disappointed with the direction it took. I hope they make another album, but opt for something far catchier and melodic. Not so bland. 

way off the mark imo.

I really like this album and love it more with each spin.

my fav 2 are the opener and closer. 2 kick arse tracks.

45 minutes ago, Glen said:

way off the mark imo.

I really like this album and love it more with each spin.

my fav 2 are the opener and closer. 2 kick arse tracks.

I'm surprised at your fondness of this. Those two tracks kind of sound like 2019 revisited. Not bad, but just really average hard rock. The kind of stuff that doesn't hold my interest for a moment. :(

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm surprised at your fondness of this. Those two tracks kind of sound like 2019 revisited. Not bad, but just really average hard rock. The kind of stuff that doesn't hold my interest for a moment. :(

you mean like livewire & wildside 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

you mean like livewire & wildside 

No, certainly not. Those two are catchy as fuck. Not so much the Passion tunes. :(

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

No, certainly not. Those two are catchy as fuck. Not so much the Passion tunes. :(

bhahaha. you make me laugh sometimes. Very selective hearing. 

9 hours ago, Glen said:

bhahaha. you make me laugh sometimes. Very selective hearing. 

Nah, I really don't think so in this case. Like I said, I wanted to love the shit out of this Passion album. It's one of those albums I went into it already thinking high of it and ready to shower it with praise. It is completely out of my control that it disappointed me. 

'Live Wire' and 'Wild Side' are basic songs, but so are 95% of glam songs. Doesn't means they're not still catchy as balls. The majority of this Passion album is basic not so much in a song-writing sense, but their direction is just simply not that of a catchy, melodic nature. Nothing wrong with that if that's your jam. I just prefer big catchy stuff. The Passion stuff is cool, but it's not hooky, catchy stuff. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nah, I really don't think so in this case. Like I said, I wanted to love the shit out of this Passion album. It's one of those albums I went into it already thinking high of it and ready to shower it with praise. It is completely out of my control that it disappointed me. 

'Live Wire' and 'Wild Side' are basic songs, but so are 95% of glam songs. Doesn't means they're not still catchy as balls. The majority of this Passion album is basic not so much in a song-writing sense, but their direction is just simply not that of a catchy, melodic nature. Nothing wrong with that if that's your jam. I just prefer big catchy stuff. The Passion stuff is cool, but it's not hooky, catchy stuff. 

sorry mate you completely lost me on this. Livewire is not 'catchy as balls' - he just chants livewire. 

Intensity is more melodic imo especially in the verse & the riffage kills (which I thought you were a fan of??)

hey ho, agree to disagree.

I'll keep playing the hell out of this thing....and for the record it's much better than most stuff last year.

41 minutes ago, Glen said:

sorry mate you completely lost me on this. Livewire is not 'catchy as balls' - he just chants livewire. 

Intensity is more melodic imo especially in the verse & the riffage kills (which I thought you were a fan of??)

hey ho, agree to disagree.

I'll keep playing the hell out of this thing....and for the record it's much better than most stuff last year.

'Intensity' is easily the fourth best song on the album and I do love the riffage. Just not a mad fan of the chorus - they just chants 'Intensity.' ;) Haha, I jest. I know there's more in the chorus, but it doesn't particularly grab me. Like I said, defo the next best song on the album after the three I mentioned. It was actually really close to a keeper for me. I'm more concerned about the songs from 5-10 in the running order though.