Best of 2019 thus far?

On 6/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, Glen said:

all 3 samples so far are absolutely marvellous. I have no doubt that it will be a challenger for top spot. 

Buddy, I like to think that too, but this is also an year for new TOOL release, finally! 

44 minutes ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Buddy, I like to think that too, but this is also an year for new TOOL release, finally! 

I am not piecing together how that is relevant news to a best of 2019 thread? 

It's been a pretty dismal year and that just makes it sound even more dismal! ;)

On 8/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Geoff said:

I am not piecing together how that is relevant news to a best of 2019 thread? 

It's been a pretty dismal year and that just makes it sound even more dismal! ;)

You're killing me, buddy, because I only like the new Tool song after the 5th minute mark! 

58 minutes ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

You're killing me, buddy, because I only like the new Tool song after the 5th minute mark! 

I commend (or is that pity?) you for making it that far in. ;)

• Like 1

My Top-5 for now ('Fi' vs. 'Fi' vs. 'Fi', (Fi)ghting for the (Fi)rst position, of course! Find Me should rename to 'First Me' to be perfect, but oh well. :lol:):

1. First Signal

2. First Night

3. Find Me

4. Gathering Of Kings

5. Crazy Lixx

Honorable mentions (in no order): Nitrate, Avantasia, Within Temptation, Starbreaker, X-Romance, Rob Moratti, Diamond Head, Roulette

Edited by mrbandwidth

On 5/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, tts42572 said:

For me it's been a horrible start to the year....

Only new release I've spent any amount of time with is the new Tesla.  Have been sampling lots of other stuff and nothing has grabbed me. 

Things should pick up in the coming months though starting with Crazy Lixx next week as I'm sure that will set the initial bar for me this year.  Looking forward to that new Nitrate album in June too as I like the new sound with the vocals.

Hoping to hear more regarding the Defiants, One Desire, Eclipse and Degreed soon too.  And H.e.a.t has been really quiet.  I know Andrew suggested a live album/DVD was coming and I've seen a couple band interviews saying that a new album is supposedly in the works but not hearing anything on them.  Shiraz Lane is another that seems to be recording and possibly could have something out toward the end of the year.

Indeed:

http://www.roooar.com/music_uk/news-releases-h-e-a-t-live-at-sweden-rock-festival-cd-blu-ray-disc-in-july-9267.html

h-e-a-t-live-at-sweden-rock-festival.jpg

15 hours ago, mrbandwidth said:

My Top-5 for now ('Fi' vs. 'Fi' vs. 'Fi', (Fi)ghting for the (Fi)rst position, of course! Find Me should rename to 'First Me' to be perfect, but oh well. :lol:):

1. First Signal

2. First Night

3. Find Me

4. Gathering Of Kings

5. Crazy Lixx

Honorable mentions (in no order): Nitrate, Avantasia, Within Temptation, Starbreaker, X-Romance, Rob Moratti, Diamond Head, Roulette

My top 7
1. Crazy Lixx
2. First Signal
3. Gather Of Kings
4. Whitesnake
5. Find Me
6. Nitrate
7. John Diva

That new Unruly Child is worth a mention....may even break my top 10 for the year....so many other new releases to come though but it still is a class piece of music

6 hours ago, Whatever Happened To Fun? said:

1. Donnie Vie - everyone needs to hear this

2. Sammy Hagar 

Been listening to the Donnie Vie a lot this week. It's really the best Enuff z Nuff album in a long long time. Shame he's not in the band! 

Probably worthy of it's own thread. 

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

Been listening to the Donnie Vie a lot this week. It's really the best Enuff z Nuff album in a long long time. Shame he's not in the band! 

Probably worthy of it's own thread. 

Couldn’t agree more! I have been listening to it nonstop the last couple weeks. I looked to see if there was a thread and was very surprised there wasn’t one. It is easily the best album he has been involved with since Strength.

I will get the Donnie Vie based on comments above.
Fair fan, so looking forward to hearing it.

For me

1. Cats In Space
2. Tesla
3. Mike Tramp
4. Geryview (have to include this as it's my daughters band :) )
5. Sammy Hagar And The Circle - been listening to this and it's starting to grow on me. Recent ammy solo stuff has bee pretty hit and miss, and this one is kind of the same, but with a few good songs.

• My Little Pony
8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

For me

1. Cats In Space
2. Tesla
3. Mike Tramp
5. Sammy Hagar And The Circle - been listening to this and it's starting to grow on me. Recent ammy solo stuff has bee pretty hit and miss, and this one is kind of the same, but with a few good songs.

You mean "Greyview"? Get it right. 

;}

On 8/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, CureTheSane said:

For me

1. Cats In Space
2. Tesla
3. Mike Tramp

Let me know what you think of the Donnie Vie?

I've heard it once and it was pretty nice on first listen.
Will take it with me today and give it a few more spins.

Ironically, yesterday I was looking for some music to put on that was easy on the ears (we had customers) so I whacked on my best of Donnie Vie folder.

Been so busy lately I'd forgotten I had the new album lol

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, Glen said:

plenty of songs I like this year but as complete albums I only rate these 3 -

Crazy Lixx

Cats in Space

First Signal

really looking forward to hearing Nitrate on 21st :)

Also I'd really like to hear Cannonballz as really like all 4 songs released as singles 

in no order

crazy lixx

first signal

nitrate

cats in space

Defiants

losing hope for Eclipse....sounds boring. high hopes for Work of Art and Degreed- possibly Pretty Maids too. 

might be able to drag together a decent top 10 by year end 

5 hours ago, Glen said:

in no order

crazy lixx

first signal

nitrate

cats in space

Defiants

losing hope for Eclipse....sounds boring. high hopes for Work of Art and Degreed- possibly Pretty Maids too. 

Eclipse really is pretty good.  I was expecting boring based upon song titles and samples but I'm liking it.  It's on par with Monumentum and it's probably too early to decide but think I like it a tiny bit better than the last album just because it feels more varied and interesting.  I still think Mary Leigh is a dumb song title though....I just keep pretending it's called "Bullet In Me" and I like it better :)

As for top 5 so far this year, for me it:

1.  Crazy Lixx

2.  Defiants

3.  Eclipse

----------------------

4.  Roxy Blue

5.  Nitrate

I left a space between 3 and 4 as there is really a huge gap between those. That said,  I know many don't like Roxy but I liked it for whatever reason.  Either way, I'm pretty sure Pretty Maids and Degreed will probably push into the top 5 anyways.

I quite like Mary Leigh but the other 3 Eclipse songs are all fairly average and predictable imo. The rest of it needs to be outstanding to measure up to the last 4 albums. 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, Glen said:

in no order

crazy lixx

first signal

nitrate

cats in space

Defiants

Bro, still waiting to hear from Nick that he got copies of the Japanese version of that Nitrate opus, goddammit! Also you nailed my initial observations of the new Eclipse. Frontiers, please stop bullying Erik! (You know that he also has to sell some studio time!)

Edited by kourosofsteel3

2 hours ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Bro, still waiting to hear from Nick that he got copies of the Japanese version of that Nitrate opus, goddammit!

Its here if you're interested?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitrate-Open-Wide-CD-2019-Japanese-press-bonus-track-Uk-Hard-Melodic-Rock/254368279139?hash=item3b3987ea63:g:tW0AAOSw5CddOwpp

• Like 1