The Defiants - Zokusho

Stefan

• My Little Pony
9 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

Yeah I've listened to this about a dozen times now and it's probably the album of the year unless Work of Art really comes through.

Not that this has been a great year for AOR (Frontiers in particular), but still.

Best thing this year is the new Neal Morse Band album, but if you're not a Prog fan it's prolly not on your radar. 

4 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Best thing this year is the new Neal Morse Band album, but if you're not a Prog fan it's prolly not on your radar. 

Oh, I actually am but not nearly as much as I used to be. Not sure if it will do anything for me but I'll check it out.

I've settled on about an 81% for this one initially too. Very nice album. Love that 'Hollywood in Headlights' jam. That and 'Fallin' for you' are my faves. 

not even worth putting a % on this. All I know is it's easily the best melodic rock album so far this year.

only Crazy Lixx comes close.

these 2 are the only albums I'm likely to still be spinning in 12 months time. 

I love the Cats in Space as well but I know most here don't like the band so I'm only including pure melodic rock in this discussion 

3 hours ago, Glen said:

not even worth putting a % on this. All I know is it's easily the best melodic rock album so far this year.

only Crazy Lixx comes close.

these 2 are the only albums I'm likely to still be spinning in 12 months time. 

I love the Cats in Space as well but I know most here don't like the band so I'm only including pure melodic rock in this discussion 

It's basically the Defiants and Crazy Lixx and then everything else.  For me it's basically a coin flip on these two...Both great albums....Just depends on my mood as to which one I want to listen to.  If I have to choose, I think I'd give it to Crazy Lixx just because it annoys me slightly the Defiants put that silly Drink Up tune on the album.

22 hours ago, tts42572 said:

It's basically the Defiants and Crazy Lixx and then everything else.  For me it's basically a coin flip on these two...Both great albums....Just depends on my mood as to which one I want to listen to.  If I have to choose, I think I'd give it to Crazy Lixx just because it annoys me slightly the Defiants put that silly Drink Up tune on the album.

It's definitely Crazy Lixx and the he Defiants for my 1 and 2 for the year.

This is a letdown after their first release. Too many patchy tracks even though individual components - vocals, guitars, production etc. are top notch.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:13 PM, DaHun72 said:

This is a letdown after their first release. Too many patchy tracks even though individual components - vocals, guitars, production etc. are top notch.

I agree. I mean, what were they thinking with that banjo solo in "Stay"... and the bagpipes were completely out of place in "Fallin' for You". I get that they want to be creative and "edgy" but the incessant rap drops were just a bit too much.

What's that?... oh... yeah, apparently I'm not listening to the same album everyone else is either. :lol:

Seriously though, about the last word I would use to describe this album is "patchy". Far from it.

P.S. How did Geoff's penis get stuck in your ears... Aussie meet-up?

:geoffadillos:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • My Little Pony

Hm... I can understand if you're disappointed, if it didn't meet your expectations. But I can't agree with someone saying it isn't good. @Captain Howdy didn't say it was no good. Just doesn't appear to be meeting his expectations. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

I don't see how you can like melodic rock and not like this album. 

it's awesome. 

(except the last track ;) )

I could say the same thing when you aren't blown away or dislike an album I do.

Everyone has personal tastes, and this one is just ok for me. Nothing special about it.

6 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

For those not digging this album, give it some more ear time... as some have mentioned, it's a grower.

Some of those choruses just embed themselves in your brain.

10 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

Hollywood in Headlights has one of the best I've ever heard.

I agree. The song is a beauty. And the last 60+ seconds of the song is even more beautiful. 

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Eric3 said:

Hollywood in Headlights has one of the best I've ever heard.

I'm more partial to "U X'd My Heart," but, yeah, can't really go wrong with either. 

'Hollywood in Headlights' is by far my favourite song on the (entirely excellent) album. Initially thought it was awesome but a little contrived. Now it's just pure, perfect bliss. 'U X'd My Heart' is probably one of the few that hasn't stacked up quite as well as others, but still a great tune. 

'Hollywood in Headlights' is why I listen to music, though. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

'Hollywood in Headlights' is by far my favourite song on the (entirely excellent) album. Initially thought it was awesome but a little contrived. Now it's just pure, perfect bliss. 'U X'd My Heart' is probably one of the few that hasn't stacked up quite as well as others, but still a great tune. 

'Hollywood in Headlights' is why I listen to music, though. 

First 5 are FANTASTIC add in X'ed My Heart, all interchangeable for the best of the album for me.