The Defiants - Zokusho

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Album is out in Japan.

Listened to the album and digging it.  I kinda feel like the first half is a bit stronger than the second half.  For me the first 5 songs are just fantastic.

And the one song I really don't like is the Japan bonus track Forever....Pretty boring, sappy ballad.

Can't say much after one listen but good stuff and just picking up where they left off with the debut.

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I must be one of the very few who isn't a huge fan of this band.

Took me ages to find the last album ok

Too samey.

I was like you once. 

Then suddenly it all clicked. 

5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I must be one of the very few who isn't a huge fan of this band.

Took me ages to find the last album ok

Too samey.

too samey? I actually find it quite varied in pace and style.

much more so than say HEAT or eclipse or Vega or the like 

On 9/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I was like you once. 

Then suddenly it all clicked. 

I really tried.
For me the harmonies were the same, and to a degree I guess I am not a fan of the vox, they had their time and place years ago, but just not what I want now (I was a big D2 fan and really liked Paul Laine's stuff back then)

Lil Miss RNR is probsthe standout for me
Save Me Tonight is nice
Take Me Back is different enough to enjoy
Same with Underneath The Stars

I created a Best Of folder for them and the first 7 songs made it, but the first couple only just I guess.

• Like 1

Through this enough times now that I feel like I can share some thoughts.  For me, this has a stronger first half than the debut but the debut had a stronger second half.

Few quick thoughts tune by tune...

Love Is The Killer - Great first song.  Bit like Love & Bullets but I like this one a little more.  Probably about a 9.5 for me.

Standing On The Edge - 10/10 song for me.  Really dig this tune and might be my favorite on the album.  Starts a fantastic 4 song run.

Hollywood In Headlights - Another 10/10 song.  Hooks galore, great vibe....I like these throwback, yesteryear type tunes...Kinda like Take Me Back from the first album.

Fallin' For You - Another 10/10...Excellent song that's exactly what I want from these guys.

Hold On Tonight - I'm going another 10/10 here.  Really like this tune also.  I get a Def Leppard vibe with some parts in this song, especially around the middle.  Another tune I really can't get enough of.

All Nighter - This ends the 10/10 run for me.  It's not bad, bit cheesy, little cliche.  That said though, it's still catchy as heck, good ear candy and find myself liking it.  It's probably like an 8.5/10.

U X'D My Heart - We've heard this one already.  It's a good tune but doesn't overly excite me.  I'd say probably 8/10.

It Goes Fast - Something feels a bit weird about the opening verses of this one but picks up steam and an easy message to relate to.  I'd probably go like 9/10 as it's probably my favorite song in the second half of the album.

Stay - Reminds me a little bit of Underneath The Stars from the first album but I don't like it as much as that song.  Nothing wrong with the tune though and decent.  I'd probably go about 8/10.

Alive - I'm getting an almost U2 meets modern Bon Jovi vibe from this one.  It's an okay tune but not doing that much for me compared to many of the songs before it.  I'd say to this point in the album, while I still like it, it's probably my least favorite tune so I'd go about 7.5/10.

Drink Up - Catchy, party type tune but feels kinda cheesy and a bit juvenile to me.  I probably like it less than Alive so I'd say about 7/10.

Forever - Japan bonus track.  This can be safely skipped and is the most boring song they've recorded IMO.  I'd go about 4/10 with this one.

For me, the first 5 songs are darn near perfect and are a notch above the first 5 on the debut.  However, the debut had some songs I really liked in the second half like Take Me Back, Save Me Tonight and Underneath The Stars.  I think I might like all 3 of those songs better than any song in the second half of this album.  As a result, I feel like the debut had a stronger second half.

Overall, really good album though.  I feel like I'll be slotting it in at #2 behind Crazy Lixx just because it tails off a bit for me with the last 2-3 tracks.  

Edited by tts42572

23 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. 

Yeah , hopefully its on my inside doormat when I return from work tomorrow :)

Edited by lettard

4 hours ago, lettard said:

Yeah , hopefully its on my inside doormat when I return from work tomorrow :)

Yes, "hopefully"!

17 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Through this enough times now that I feel like I can share some thoughts.  For me, this has a stronger first half than the debut but the debut had a stronger second half.

Few quick thoughts tune by tune...

Love Is The Killer - Great first song.  Bit like Love & Bullets but I like this one a little more.  Probably about a 9.5 for me.

Standing On The Edge - 10/10 song for me.  Really dig this tune and might be my favorite on the album.  Starts a fantastic 4 song run.

Hollywood In Headlights - Another 10/10 song.  Hooks galore, great vibe....I like these throwback, yesteryear type tunes...Kinda like Take Me Back from the first album.

Fallin' For You - Another 10/10...Excellent song that's exactly what I want from these guys.

Hold On Tonight - I'm going another 10/10 here.  Really like this tune also.  I get a Def Leppard vibe with some parts in this song, especially around the middle.  Another tune I really can't get enough of.

All Nighter - This ends the 10/10 run for me.  It's not bad, bit cheesy, little cliche.  That said though, it's still catchy as heck and good ear candy.  It's probably like an 8.5/10.

U X'D My Heart - We've heard this one already.  It's a good tune but doesn't overly excite me.  I'd say probably 8/10.

It Goes Fast - Something feels a bit weird about the opening verses of this one but picks up steam and an easy message to relate to.  I'd probably go like 9/10 as it's probably my favorite song in the second half of the album.

Stay - Reminds me a little bit of Underneath The Stars from the first album but I don't like it as much as that song.  Nothing wrong with the tune though and decent.  I'd probably go about 8/10.

Alive - I'm getting an almost U2 meets modern Bon Jovi vibe from this one.  It's an okay tune but not doing that much for me.  I'd say to this point in the album it's my least favorite tune so I'd go about 7.5/10.

Drink Up - Catchy, party type tune but feels kinda cheesy to me.  I probably like it less than Alive so I'd say about 7/10.

Forever - Japan bonus track.  This can be safely skipped and is the most boring song they've recorded IMO.  I'd go about 4/10 with this one.

For me, the first 5 songs are darn near perfect and are a notch above the first 5 on the debut.  However, the debut had some songs I really liked in the second half like Take Me Back, Save Me Tonight and Underneath The Stars.  I think I might like all 3 of those songs better than any song in the second half of this album.  As a result, I feel like the debut had a stronger second half.

Overall, really good album though.  I feel like I'll be slotting it in at #2 behind Crazy Lixx just because it tails off a bit for me with the last 2-3 tracks.  

Your take on this release is pretty spot on. The only tracks that do nothing for me are All Nighter and Drink Up!...both are too cheesy for such a classy release. 

Paul's vocals are in top shape and Rob’s solos are even better here than the debut.....and Bruno continues to be a melodic genius. I’ll be enjoying this one for the rest of the year....and beyond. 

Edited by zacharyamelie

45 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

Your take on this release is pretty spot on. The only tracks that do nothing for me are All Nighter and Drink Up!...both are too cheesy for such a classy release. 

Paul's vocals are in top shape and Rob’s solos are even better here than the debut.....and Bruno continues to be a melodic genius. I’ll be enjoying this one for the rest of the year....and beyond. 

All Nighter is still maturely done tho - makes me believe it's possible even at 50 lol :)

3 hours ago, Ponen said:

Is it there?

Yes,I arrived back from work and it was there together with the new Crashdiet release  :)

Have listened now several times and it is brilliant,the track Allnighter reminds me at the beginning of a Nickelback song with similar content but I still love the whole thing...oh btw Crashdiet hasn't be tried yet...

Edited by lettard

3 minutes ago, lettard said:

Yes,I arrived back from work and it was there together with the new Crashdiet release  :)

Have listened now several times and it is brilliant,the track Allnighter reminds me at the beginning of a Nickelback song with similar content but I still love the whole thing...oh btw Crashdiet hasn't be tried yet...

Haha good to know. Enjoy.

I set myself up for the this by playing the debut first. The debut was even better than I had remembered. For some reason, I had remembered only the Blink-182 type take on a few tracks. I did not hear this as much on the this time through and I really thought it was an excellent disc.

This is a killer release. Just a stronger set of songs throughout. I am loving this a lot!!