The Defiants - Zokusho

Stefan

I loved the Ted years of Danger Danger but I think Paul took them to another level.

That being said, those 2 tracks are superb and just what I wanted to hear from them.

This might be a better album then the first one!!

Saying it would be better with essentially the classic D2 line up is impossible to say. Do I prefer Ted era D2 to Paul era, yes, but they are two very different beasts and the only real comparison we have for material is the Cockroach album. Would Screw it sound better with Paul? No. Would Gildersleeves sound better with Ted? No.

Just appreciate that this band gives us Paul era D2 and Tokyo Motorfist gives us Ted era.

Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ponen said:

I love Ted but in my opinion the Defiants with Paul on vocals is as good as it gets. Even at this age, his vocals still sound the same the way it was back in the 'Stick it in your ear' days. Hasn't changed one bit.

yep agree. Paul sounds a million $ on these tracks. Love Ted but defo not as strong vocally these days. 

On 7/19/2019 at 7:08 AM, tts42572 said:

Just fantastic!

Oh my god this chorus.

Also IMO Laine is on a completely different level than Poley and always has been.

Edited by Eric3

• My Little Pony

Is the argument "Who's the better vocalist?" I don't think we're arguing who's better. I believe the argument is, and always has been, "Who is Danger Danger?"

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Is the argument "Who's the better vocalist?" I don't think we're arguing who's better. I believe the argument is, and always has been, "Who is Danger Danger?"

That's a good point.

For me, Laine is way better vocally and I prefer the Defiants to Danger Danger if I had to choose.

But, Poley is the voice of DD for me just because they had their biggest success and hits with him.  So if there were another "Danger Danger" album, I'd prefer it to be with Poley.

All said though, I'm perfectly happy with the way things are.  The Defaints are great and Ted sounded as good as ever on Tokyo Motor Fist.  The more new, quality music we get the better.

41 minutes ago, lettard said:

Whoa...what?

Yep.  For me that first Defiants album was above any Danger Danger album. 

And album #2 is looking like it will just add to that.

Don't get me wrong...liked Danger Danger back in the day.  But never really overly liked them for whatever reason.   

I like The Defiants, but personally there is not one single song on their debut (or what we have heard from #2) that is better than anything on the first two D2 albums.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I like The Defiants, but personally there is not one single song on their debut (or what we have heard from #2) that is better than anything on the first two D2 albums.

So you're saying that nothing The Defiants have done is better than "Yeah, You Want It!"? :o;)

Songs off the first two DD albums which were bettered by some songs off The Defiants debut...

Under The Gun
Saturday Nite
Boys Will Be Boys
Live It Up
Beat The Bullet
Puppet Show
Find Your Way Back Home
Yeah You Want It

Looks like a significant list, but the otehr way of looking at it is that the other 17 or so songs were all killer and Defiants can't compete with them.

9 hours ago, Ponen said:

That's an awesome song! One of my fave DD songs.

Beat The Bullet is great!

20 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well I like that song more than anything on The Defiants album, so yeah.

It was a fun song, not to be taken seriously.

Fair enough and to each their own. For the record, I like the song too, as amusing filler, but I don't consider it high-quality Danger Danger and many The Defiants tunes easily trump it for me. That said, taken as a whole, I would agree that the first two DD albums are superior to The Defiants debut (reserving judgment on "Zokusho" until it can be given a proper chance).

21 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Songs off the first two DD albums which were bettered by some songs off The Defiants debut...

Under The Gun
Saturday Nite
Boys Will Be Boys
Live It Up
Beat The Bullet
Puppet Show
Find Your Way Back Home
Yeah You Want It

Looks like a significant list, but the otehr way of looking at it is that the other 17 or so songs were all killer and Defiants can't compete with them.

That's actually a pretty accurate list... except for the ridiculous inclusion of 'Beat the bullet.' But I assume you made a typing error or something with that one. 

I like 'Yeah you want it' too and play it every time I play the album. But let's not be circus folk. Is 'Yeah you want it' a better song than 'Love and Bullets' (for example)? You'd (not you, CureTheSane) bet your house on that on a lie detector test? Let's keep it honest, folk. 

For the record, I absolutely love The Defiants and think this new one may be album of the year. But as a whole, I definitely prefer the first three (why does no one ever include 'Cockroach' when speaking of prime D2??) Danger Danger albums. They all had fillers, but they're all magnificent albums. 

But of course there are Defiants songs that are better than a few of the fillers on those D2 albums. It's all great music though. 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

For the record, I absolutely love The Defiants and think this new one may be album of the year. But as a whole, I definitely prefer the first three (why does no one ever include 'Cockroach' when speaking of prime D2??) Danger Danger albums. They all had fillers, but they're all magnificent albums. 

and 'Revolve'. Love that album as well.

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

That's actually a pretty accurate list... except for the ridiculous inclusion of 'Beat the bullet.' But I assume you made a typing error or something with that one. 

I like 'Yeah you want it' too and play it every time I play the album. But let's not be circus folk. Is 'Yeah you want it' a better song than 'Love and Bullets' (for example)? You'd (not you, CureTheSane) bet your house on that on a lie detector test? Let's keep it honest, folk. 

But of course there are Defiants songs that are better than a few of the fillers on those D2 albums. It's all great music though. 

Beat The Bullet never did it for me. uninspiring and mundane.
I don't mind Yeah You Want It, but it didn't make ny best of folder.

Revolve is great.
I still put FU$ on compilations regularly.

12 hours ago, Geoff said:

I always include Cockroach, my favorite album from them!!!

Yep, 'Cockroach' and 'Revolve' are both excellent, but 'Cockroach' is a complete follow-on from the first two and part of the trifecta for me. Released at the time or not.

'Revolve' is a great album, but years had obviously passed. 'Cockroach' is arguably the last album that featured Ted Poley in his prime, vocally. 

Other than Dawn every D2 album is a classic, but all have some filler tracks....especially Screw It!