The Defiants - Zokusho

Stefan

• My Little Pony
23 hours ago, simo said:

Here's how Paul explained the title:

We're going to get asked that question a lot... The title "Zokusho" translates in Japanese as: the sequel,  the next chapter,  a continuance.. We've embraced all of this as well in the album artwork... You'll see!!!

Does it, though? 

Why doesn't anything come up in a Google search?

All the searching I have done seems to translate Zokushu from Japanese into the English phrase "cheap fiction"

Zokuhen seems to translate as "in the sequel" though.

Could just be that it does not translate 100% like many Japanese words.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 2:41 AM, simo said:

I'm baffled by how little (close to nothing) has been communicated with the release date so close.... cdjapan still says June 5, I'm expecting my CD to ship that day

I think that date has been changed to September 11th now :(

Bummer but they were never making that June 5th date as Frontiers definitely will take 2-3 months to crank out singles for this.  Eagerly awaiting this one....

Maybe we'll have the first single released on June 5th B).

'Zokusho' out September 13.

60337843_2255053694550669_20719033432607

Tracklist:
1. Love Is The Killer
2. Standing On The Edge
3. Hollywood In Headlights
4. Fallin' For You
5. Hold On Tonite
6. Allnighter
7. U X'd My Heart
8. It Goes Fast
9. Stay
10. Alive
11. Drink Up!

Edited by Stefan

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Glen said:

listened to the samples. great stuff. these guys just record effortlessly cool tunes. Can't wait for this to land 

Yep....Sounding awesome.  You're effortlessly comment is spot on.  I'm not even sure these guys could record a bad song.

Definitely going to be giving Crazy Lixx some competition for my #1 spot this year.

New video for 'Falling For You'.

From Frontiers:

THE DEFIANTS are back with their sophomore album, "Zokusho". Comprised of Paul Laine, Bruno Ravel, and Rob Marcello, The Defiants is three fabulous musicians who, as fans in the know will immediately recognize, all have ties to popular hard rockers, Danger Danger.

On how the new album compares to their debut, bassist Bruno Ravel says, "I think the “sound” of the album, while very similar to the debut, is a bit more focused. I also think that the songs, as a collection, are stronger than the debut." Vocalist/guitarist Paul Laine says, "I think the sound of the record is a natural progression from the first record. I think both Bruno and I felt pressure to deliver a record that we could feel as proud of as the first one. On a personal note, I feel the Bruno really outdid himself on the mix of the album. To me, it is sonically beautiful." Guitarist Rob Marcello adds, "It’s basically more of the same. Why mess with a winning concept! Haha I’m very proud of the last one, but I feel the songs are stronger on the new album." 

The songwriting process for "Zokusho" was "the same as the debut. Paul and I sift through ideas, refine them and what you hear is the end result," tells Ravel. "Bruno and I tossed the idea ball back and forth until the album was completed. Discipline and hard work, with a focus on the same passion that we had making the first album," adds Laine. Marcello chimes in that "Bruno and Paul have such a great formula for writing songs, so when I get to them they’re pretty much complete. Then I get to decorate them with some Scandinavian flavor!"

The Defiants debut album was greeted with a great acclaim as a glorious return to the “in your face” melodic hard rock that enraptured millions of fans back in the '80s and '90s and is currently enjoying a renaissance here in the 21st century, so a follow-up album was a no-brainer. The brand new album, “Zokusho”, a Japanese word meaning "sequel” or "the next chapter”, is now set for release on September 13, 2019. This album also features Steve West of D2 on drums. Needless to say, this album has all the ingredients to thrill D2 and The Defiants fans. A BIG melodic rock album with big choruses, hooks and soaring guitars and vocals.

On first single, "Fallin' For You" Ravel explains that he "came up with the hook first, then mixed elements from ’80’s AOR, and tried to give them an updated more aggressive approach. That’s what The Defiants do! As for what it is about, boy is lost, meets girl, falls hard for her… BOOM!" Laine's take on it is that "it was the last song written for the album. I don't ever like to talk about what the lyrics are about, save for the fact that I only ever write what I know. Songs mean different things to different people, and that's the beauty of a song, isn't it? And it's never going to mean the same thing to you as it does to me most likely, as you haven't put the miles in my shoes. With the title of the aforementioned song, everybody is going to think it means what it says, but does it? Read your lyrics kids...just like the old days...then you tell me what it means." Marcello simply adds, "you'd have to ask Bruno and Paul about that one, I like the guitar solo though!"

Best known for being the D2 vocalist on four studio albums over the course of 12 years, Paul Laine came back to work with his former bandmates Bruno Ravel and Rob Marcello, who are the other two pillars of The DEFIANTS, for the band’s self-titled debut album in 2015. The guys reunited at the suggestion of Frontiers' President Serafino Perugino, who really wanted these current and former Danger Danger members to offer fans of that band some new music. The resulting album was pleasing not only to the D2 fans, but also to ALL the fans out there who are into the classic sound of the era from which D2 emerged.

Tracklist:
1. Love Is The Killer
2. Standing On The Edge
3. Hollywood In Headlights
4. Fallin' For You
5. Hold On Tonite
6. Allnighter
7. U X'd My Heart
8. It Goes Fast
9. Stay
10. Alive
11. Drink Up!

Line-up:
Bruno Ravel: Bass
Paul Laine: Vocals, Guitar
Rob Marcello: Guitar
Steve West: Drums

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Come on! This is perfection! Can't wait to hear the rest. 

Like many have said, they make it sound so easy and natural.

Edited by zacharyamelie

Love It  !!!

3 hours ago, lettard said:

Brilliant,the kinda stuff that I love done right :)

Yep